Rooney.

He's been mentioned a bit on another thread, but can't believe he hasn't come in for a more thorough analysis. Can we have a debate About HIS responsibility for HIS performance. The service point is valid to a point, but to me it's totally masking the issue.

He doesn't appear to have a first touch. He can't / won't jump. He doesn't bring others in. His passing is poor. He doesn't win headers. He's lightweight. He looks 'busy' but won't challenge. He actually looks like he can't run.

Nearly all of the above are about desire. An he's got none. He's slowly morphing into keigan Parker.

For the wage he's on- the biggest dissapontment of the squad by a country mile.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't mention players who can't run.

It is a service issue. Last week he came on at Brentford and was out wide crossing the ball in. He needs to be in the middle finishing chances but the lack of crosses must be frustrating. I don't doubt with good service he will score goals.

He's a 5"10 striker who is being expected to compete for headers against 6"3 and taller centre-backs. How his jumping or flick-ons are criticised I do not know. He's a strong man, not a tall man and LJ has to distinguish between the two. The ball needs to be played to his feet.

However where he is frustrating is his movement - he runs into dead ends. Comparing him to Ibehre yesterday showed me just how little Rooney participates. Ibehre came short for it, ran beyond defenders and eventually got his goal after giving the defenders a torrid time. Colchester didn't even hoofball to him either, it was measured passing to a player who made all the correct moves. I've yet to see Rooney cause half as much problems for any opposition defence.

There is no place for him in the team until he can give valuable contribution that MacDonald and JCH give us. MacDonald's movement is so much more smart and JCH gets into the right positions and can shield the ball.

Both replies on about service again. Always other people's fault. The team, the set up, the manger, the service. What about him??

Credit to Johnson I think he agrees. Rooney has been played less an less. When needed a goal yesterday our main striker got subbed for a kid. I'll be stunned if they don't try an move him on in the summer.

He's a 5"10 striker who is being expected to compete for headers against 6"3 and taller centre-backs. How his jumping or flick-ons are criticised I do not know. He's a strong man, not a tall man and LJ has to distinguish between the two. The ball needs to be played to his feet.

However where he is frustrating is his movement - he runs into dead ends. Comparing him to Ibehre yesterday showed me just how little Rooney participates. Ibehre came short for it, ran beyond defenders and eventually got his goal after giving the defenders a torrid time. Colchester didn't even hoofball to him either, it was measured passing to a player who made all the correct moves. I've yet to see Rooney cause half as much problems for any opposition defence.

There is no place for him in the team until he can give valuable contribution that MacDonald and JCH give us. MacDonald's movement is so much more smart and JCH gets into the right positions and can shield the ball.

So we don't expect him to win headers an flick ons- but we do expect him to be on the end of a cross with his head? What's the difference? Heading IMO is a massive part of a strikers game. We seem to be actively defending the fact he can't/ won't jump. He shrinks.

So we don't expect him to win headers an flick ons- but we do expect him to be on the end of a cross with his head? What's the difference? Heading IMO is a massive part of a strikers game. We seem to be actively defending the fact he can't/ won't jump. He shrinks.

Pretty much, yes.

Look at players like Wayne Rooney, they rarely flick-on headers but are clinical heading in front of goals. It's a totally different skill. I just cannot understand how we can expect Adam to be beating 6"4 centre-halfs for headers. Ask any defender and they'll tell you a stationary header from a long ball is easy to deal with, especially when you're competing against a guy 6 inches shorter than you.

Where he can and should be beating players for headers is in the box where he's got forwards momentum, getting into positions that defenders can't track. He's not doing this, and when he does his headers have been off target. As O4U says, he doesn't create enough for himself.

Funny...

When he signed there was plenty of posters on here telling the world what an amazing signing he was...

6 months later some of the same posters want him gone because a league 1 striker doesn't live up to the standards they set for him!

Pop quiz: Who is it?

A Kiegan Parker

B Adam Rooney

C Robbie Simpson

Same old :censored:! Different season!

Same people defending him, week in, week out.

"It's everyone else" / "he get's no service" / "Don't lump it up to him"...the excuses go on and on...

He has been :censored: for us.

That second half corner 10-15 mins from the end was there for the taking yesterday and he got nowhere near it. He is too weak in the air and too slow on the ground. He is most probably our top earner and would be 4th choice striker if everyone else was fit. Charlie Mac (when fit), JCH and Philliskirk are all worth 5 of him.

Funny...

When he signed there was plenty of posters on here telling the world what an amazing signing he was...

6 months later some of the same posters want him gone because a league 1 striker doesn't live up to the standards they set for him!

A Kiegan Parker

B Adam Rooney

C Robbie Simpson

:censored: all funny about it.

I for one, was glad we signed a player who looked like he wanted it. He doesn't even resemble the same player.

While we are on it, do you think people shouldn't have criticized Parker and we should have kept him then?

He did get some decent service yesterday. I counted four times where he had an opportunity to get a header on target an he closed his eyes an missed all four headers. He looks like he's actually scared of a football. The pretending to jump thing is just embarrassing now. It's a shame as we all want him to do well but he just doesn't seem up to the job.

:censored: all funny about it.

I for one, was glad we signed a player who looked like he wanted it. He doesn't even resemble the same player.

While we are on it, do you think people shouldn't have criticized Parker and we should have kept him then?

When did he look like he wanted it, before we signed him?

No Parker was :censored: lol but people loved him when we signed him and then turned when he didn't score 15 plus goals, that was my point

But while we are at it....Tarky was criticised by many on here last season, should we have kept him?

Fickle bunch OWTBs posters....

What type of striker is he? (Cue sarcy response)

No seriously what's his strength? If he's not a target man because he doesn't win enough headers and hold the ball up enough. If he's a penalty box striker why isn't he getting in enough positions to finish of moves. He's no pace so he can't run onto through balls. He's not a number 10 who links up with the midfield. He does put in a shift but not in a sense that Paul warne did and pressed the ball high up the pitch.

The last 2 games I've struggled to see what he brings to the table. He may still come good but I would have hoped for a bit more than what we've had so far.

When did he look like he wanted it, before we signed him?

No Parker was :censored: lol but people loved him when we signed him and then turned when he didn't score 15 plus goals, that was my point

But while we are at it....Tarky was criticised by many on here last season, should we have kept him?

Fickle bunch OWTBs posters....

Nowt fickle about it pal, it's people having an opinion. I would much rather that on here than telling him or booing him at the match.

He looked pretty decent in pre season and not been the same player since.

Nowt fickle about it pal, it's people having an opinion. I would much rather that on here than telling him or booing him at the match.

He looked pretty decent in pre season and not been the same player since.

It is very much about opinions and many on here change theirs depending on a win or a loss and that in my opinion is fickle...

Although I do agree with you that people should vent on here rather than undermine a young players confidence during a game.

And my point about Tarky is, if we got rid of players based on a few bad performances or on what many of our fans think then we as a club would be :censored:e. Players lose form not talent

Edited by palmer1

Funny...

A Kiegan Parker

B Adam Rooney

C Robbie Simpson

The thing is with them three, they've got a modicum of talent, they have a performance in them. It's just once in a blue moon.

Pretty much, yes.

Look at players like Wayne Rooney, they rarely flick-on headers but are clinical heading in front of goals. It's a totally different skill. I just cannot understand how we can expect Adam to be beating 6"4 centre-halfs for headers. Ask any defender and they'll tell you a stationary header from a long ball is easy to deal with, especially when you're competing against a guy 6 inches shorter than you.

Where he can and should be beating players for headers is in the box where he's got forwards momentum, getting into positions that defenders can't track. He's not doing this, and when he does his headers have been off target. As O4U says, he doesn't create enough for himself.

exactly what ive been saying.. as a centre half myself i fancy winning 9/10 header against lads that are smaller then me, unless they're 6'2 or above a striker shouldn't stand any chance of winning headers against a CB! we should be playing it into his feet, but that's rooneys problem that he isn't creating anything himself! but please do NOT criticise a 5'10" striker for not winning a header against a 6'3 centre half!!!

Pretty much, yes.

He hasn't played man mountains every week.

I don't necessarily expect him to win every header, but I do expect him to compete. To look for the second ball, if he loses the initial header. He's very cute at giving the impression he's being lent on- he will be when he tucks himself under a guys chest. As you say he even worse in the box where his lack movement and/or anticipation is frightening. He hardly ever gambles. I've been to nearly every home game, an he's produced once. Against vale. Not good enough.