Rooney.

exactly what ive been saying.. as a centre half myself i fancy winning 9/10 header against lads that are smaller then me, unless they're 6'2 or above a striker shouldn't stand any chance of winning headers against a CB! we should be playing it into his feet, but that's rooneys problem that he isn't creating anything himself! but please do NOT criticise a 5'10" striker for not winning a header against a 6'3 centre half!!!

This 5'10" :censored: doesn't wash.

Unfortunately I guess you lads are too young to have watched Andy Ritchie, who was the same height and probably the best header of a ball we have ever had? Its called application.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly what ive been saying.. as a centre half myself i fancy winning 9/10 header against lads that are smaller then me, unless they're 6'2 or above a striker shouldn't stand any chance of winning headers against a CB! we should be playing it into his feet, but that's rooneys problem that he isn't creating anything himself! but please do NOT criticise a 5'10" striker for not winning a header against a 6'3 centre half!!!

Is it service, our style of play, the opposition, he's to small, he doesn't like it in the air, he doesn't like it near him. He can't see the ball properly.

Is it just not a lack of desire?

Unfortunately I guess you lads are too young to have watched Andy Ritchie, who was the same height and probably the best header of a ball we have ever had? Its called application.

one example in 40 years of watching football? not many smaller strikers win consecutive headers week in week out against bigger centre halves...

i still think he's :censored:e, but the 'not winning headers' isn't my worry

Sometimes when your not getting the service (wich I think he has), you have to go and get it yourself like Charlie Mac would do, He's been a massive dissapointment for me, we could give him till the end of the season to improve but I can't see it, people like O,Grady never got a chance here but I think Rooney has had plenty of chances so far and not produced. If Johnson feels he's not getting his money's worth out of him then he will go, I can imagine he won't of come on the cheap.

one example in 40 years of watching football? not many smaller strikers win consecutive headers week in week out against bigger centre halves...

i still think he's :censored:e, but the 'not winning headers' isn't my worry

Okay, so more recently.

Liddell, Hughes, Beckett...do you want any more? He is just as :censored:e when it's on the floor. Its all excuses from the same people who are too soft to stand up and say he is a bad un'...

Okay, so more recently.

Liddell, Hughes, Beckett...do you want any more? He is just as :censored:e when it's on the floor. Its all excuses from the same people who are too soft to stand up and say he is a bad un'...

but he is a bad'un ive already stated that - im just explaining when peoples main worry about him is that he's not winning headers when infact he's just a bad footballer!

Or Lee Duxbury, he was about 5 foot 5 and jumped to 6 foot 7

I've seen Rooney spurn quite a lot of good opportunities, even more worryingly he has not hit the target on most occasions. Like everyone else I am starting to question his abilities. However, I've not lost all hope just yet - mainly because I don't like to get on our player's backs.

One observation my dad and I have made is that he seems to run an awful lot when we don't have the ball (closing down etc), but when we do have the ball he is very easy to mark due to a lack of movement. It's a positive that he is willing to work for the team but as a striker it's a peripheral skill - if he'd already scored 15 we wouldn't care whether he was closing their defence down.

Also for a striker that seemingly likes it played to his feet, his first touch appears to be quite poor.Often Rooney is dispossessed easily and he is making it hard to see what he offers.

In comparison I can count on one hand the number of times Philliskirk has given away the ball cheaply. When he's up top, it sticks and he usually finds a blue shirt. Philliskirk also seems to know where the net is.

Funny...

When he signed there was plenty of posters on here telling the world what an amazing signing he was...

6 months later some of the same posters want him gone because a league 1 striker doesn't live up to the standards they set for him!

Pop quiz: Who is it?

A Kiegan Parker

B Adam Rooney

C Robbie Simpson

Same old :censored:! Different season!

Do you want us to pretend we're not disappointed with what we thought would be a great signing? Edited by HarryBosch

Do you want us to pretend we're not disappointed with what we thought would be a great signing?

I'm saying its all too predictable

Be disappointed all you like, its your opinion.

Can anyone remember a player bought that the posters on here raved about that lived up to the hype.

Edited by palmer1

Exactly. Timing is a large part of it not size. Wes being the prime example.

Beckett and Hughes the only quality strikers we have had in recent memory. Beckett in particular was a goal machine.

I didn't have any recollection of having seen Rooney before we bought him.

But lots of people seemed to rave about him & what a belting player we had managed to get signed for us.
Having now seen him play on a number of occasions he looks very limited , no pace , not a great finisher and
no more than average passing and holding the ball up in my opinion.
He would have been expected to be first choice of our four main strikers but you could argue he is currently last in the pecking order.

Baxter

Beckett

Gregan

Kilkenny

Korey Smith

Wellens

Stephens

Serious? 3 of those the majority will have never heard of on here before they signed including the current captain. Now that's funny...

Edited by palmer1