Rooney.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have nowt against the lad and hope he comes good, but I wouldn't bet on it right now.

I also keep hearing how much he runs off the ball, but I don't give 2 hoots, I want him to do what we signed him for...score and create goals. He isn't doing that.

Same here. I really want him to do well, as that in turn will probably mean the team is on up. At the minute though he's miles off.

I think those who say that Rooney isn't getting may chances make a valid point, however simply compare his contribution to JCH or Philliskirk. It might also help him if he watched someone like Suarez. Putting to one side how talented the Liverpool striker is, his work ethic, determination to get in the game and show himself when a team mate has the ball - all these things Rooney could do - as well as attacking the near post. For most of the games he's played, he's been anonymous and when you are one of the highest paid players that's not good enough.

Beckett and Hughes the only quality strikers we have had in recent memory. Beckett in particular was a goal machine.

Don't forget Chris Porter. The fact he turned out to be a greedy :censored: who dumped on us from a great height doesn't mask the fact that he knew exactly where the goals were.

Two examples stand out for me from Saturday; the first, Rooney receives a pass from midfield and spreads it out to the left to Mellor, Mellor doesnt wait for anyone to get in the box and puts the ball in when Rooney is only just arriving in the D. Poor service.

Secondly, Rooney takes it on the chest and volleys it to Patrasso, he runs with it, waits for the box to become occupied and floats a ball to Rooney at the back post that is just begging to hit the back of the net and it ends up in the rre...

I see both sides of the argument. i think the combination of both the terrible service he has been receiving AND the lack of finishing ability when given the chance are more the problem rather than one or the other.

To summarise- EVERYONE'S to blame!! Rooney relies on others around him to provide for him (and is terribly off form when given a chance) but Philly, MacD and JCH make chances for themselves with their pace and movement (or in JCH's case just brute force)more often than not and that's obviously bearing fruit for them.

On a positive note, he can't half take a pen

...but, isn't he exactly what we signed in the first place?

His current goals for total is comparable to the rest of his playing career elsewhere.

He is exactly what we signed. He hasnt changed. He hasnt suddenly lost his footballing ability. Johnson isnt failing to get the best out of him. Rooney hasnt lost too much weight or lost 2 yard of pace.

Adam Rooney is, on ability, a League One striker. He was before; and he still is.

He's on course for a respectable and decent goals return if he carries on in the same manner for the rest of the season.

All about expectations, and the dramatically raised ones for some when he signed IMO...

He's been mentioned a bit on another thread, but can't believe he hasn't come in for a more thorough analysis. Can we have a debate About HIS responsibility for HIS performance. The service point is valid to a point, but to me it's totally masking the issue.

He doesn't appear to have a first touch. He can't / won't jump. He doesn't bring others in. His passing is poor. He doesn't win headers. He's lightweight. He looks 'busy' but won't challenge. He actually looks like he can't run.

Nearly all of the above are about desire. An he's got none. He's slowly morphing into keigan Parker.

For the wage he's on- the biggest dissapontment of the squad by a country mile.

So, his first touch, passing and ability to win headers against defenders that by and large are 2-3 inches taller than him will come, if he desires it?

In that case, I desire a night with Mila Kunis

So, his first touch, passing and ability to win headers against defenders that by and large are 2-3 inches taller than him will come, if he desires it?

In that case, I desire a night with Mila Kunis

You have different opinion. I think all the above is about desire. Can he not time his jump? Why don't we just let all tall players head it, forget competing. His first touch is wank- does he try an win it back, nah he gives up. His attitude is wrong. Why did Johnson sub his main striker for a kid, when he needed a goal??

The expectation thing is strange one an all. I didn't expect anything off him, it's naive to think any player will replicate form at one particular club. All you do is hope they turn out to be decent. I judge him from what I've watched- nearly all the home games. An for the most part he worse than ineffectual, he's invisible.

You have different opinion. I think all the above is about desire. Can he not time his jump? Why don't we just let all tall players head it, forget competing. His first touch is wank- does he try an win it back, nah he gives up. His attitude is wrong. Why did Johnson sub his main striker for a kid, when he needed a goal??

The expectation thing is strange one an all. I didn't expect anything off him, it's naive to think any player will replicate form at one particular club. All you do is hope they turn out to be decent. I judge him from what I've watched- nearly all the home games. An for the most part he worse than ineffectual, he's invisible.

This. For the most part I almost forget he's on the pitch. Rarely looks to start something off himself. I don't see it when people expect him to come good later in the season. He'll do the least he has to do and no more

A 0.32 a game man including many at Inverness CT (non league equivalent). Now a 0.25 a game man at Latics who put in a wonderful cross yesterday and battled for the team all day as a right winger. We also appear, some of the time, to be only competing for the second ball when kicking it long. If JCH and Petrasso had stayed on their feet as Rooney did, they are both young and learning, we would have got more of the free kicks we deserve. We stay with him and support him.

Put in a great cross for the goal and another in the second half that bounced on the 6 yard line, if Charlie Mc had been on the pitch that was a goal. As it was, JCH was sulking about not being put in earlier and Petrasso didn't anticipate it.

I actually thought he made the right decision to shoot as well when he could have put JCH in, only a good stop from the keeper stopped us going 2-1 up. Both defenders were anticipating the through ball and backing off for the interception.

• 4 weeks later...

I cant see him being here beyond the window....didn't even get on the pitch yesterday.

If we are to stick with him then I feel he has to play otherwise......... what's the point?

If Johnson's wheeling and dealing involves Rooney then I'm happy with that as for me he's been a massive dissapointment.

If he goes back to Scotland we may even get a small fee!

1. The lad is lacking confidence.

2. He has proven his scoring ability in the past under other clubs.

3. I, for one, was more than happy to persevere with him as I have a feeling he would have come good for us at this level.

LJ subscribed to the first two points. Being dropped totally yesterday though gives the strongest indication yet that LJ has scrapped point 3.

Sometimes it doesn't work out and the graveyard of BP that has claimed many a victim in the past now adds Rooney to its list.....time to move on....time to welcome the next person who's prepared to take the challenge

It's a results business, definitely at this level so can understand why strikers are NOT afforded the time to beat confidence issues or allowed extended time in the team to hit a rich vein of form

Edited by Midsblue