Coventry 1-1 Latics: Post match reaction

Players being played out of position? Didn't LJ say at the start of the season that he wanted players that could adapt to playing in different positions? You've got:

1. Tarky CB & CM (he played there in his earlier career)
  2. Grounds LB & CB
  3. Lanzoni CB & RB
  4. Kusunga CB & RB
  5. Brown RB & RM
  6. Petrasso RM & LM
  7. Rooney CF & RM (played there a fair bit in the past)
  8. Smith CM & RB
  9. Philliskirk CF, RM & attacking CM
  10. Schmeltz RM & LM
  11. Mills (if he comes back) LB & LM
  12. Mellor LB, CB, LM
  13. Winchester RM, CM, RB
  14. Dayton RM, LM & occasional attacking CM

What more do you want? Oxley up front and Rachubka wide left?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In reality, any team can beat any team in League One.

I agree with your point - adapt to your opposition. But if that's the case, why we're we so negative against Sheffield United?

It was purely a tactical ploy intended to nullify Baxter, and kept against a prolific goal scoring team, I don't think LJ will use it too often.

If a 4-5-1 can turn rapidly in to a 4-3-3 then it's an excellent formation.

More shots. More early shots. More midfield getting forwards please.

Much as I'd like to see it O4U, I don't think the players are suited to 4-3-3.

That system works best with an attacking central midfielder and 3 interchanging mobile forwards.

It was purely a tactical ploy intended to nullify Baxter, and kept against a prolific goal scoring team, I don't think LJ will use it too often.

What happened to man marking? We are giving League One teams far too much respect and the FA Cup run is (again) papering over a few cracks.

The table doesn't lie. We're slipping like a used condom on a park slide.

If a 4-5-1 can turn rapidly in to a 4-3-3 then it's an excellent formation.

More shots. More early shots. More midfield getting forwards please.

The very point that is made by having players versatile enough to move into different positions.

Huh? Thank you for your detailed list (must've taken ages, like) but I think you've missed my point.

No, it took but a couple of minutes or so. I don't think I've missed your point at all. I'm simply illustrating that we don't necessarily have players out of position, because they are perfectly capable of playing in more than one position rather than being played out of position.

Much as I'd like to see it O4U, I don't think the players are suited to 4-3-3.

That system works best with an attacking central midfielder and 3 interchanging mobile forwards.

I'm not disagreeing.

But I do think the formation in the last two games has been effective against sides in decent form. The Colchester performance is the one that makes me shudder.

Our biggest issue second half at Sheffield Utd was sitting too deep. Today JCH was out on his feet after an hour so was less effective as an outlet until Millar came on.

The very point that is made by having players versatile enough to move into different positions.

No, it took but a couple of minutes or so. I don't think I've missed your point at all. I'm simply illustrating that we don't necessarily have players out of position, because they are perfectly capable of playing in more than one position rather than being played out of position.

I'm sorry but Rooney is not a winger and Tarkowski hasn't looked comfortable in front of the back 4.

Edit: And the point I was making - why play players out of their favoured positions when you've got obvious options in the squad?

RM - Miller, Schmeltz, (even) Winchester over Rooney

Edited by excharnwoodlatic

Didn't go today and it seems like a draw was a fair result, however, unless we start to score more goals we are going to stay in the bottom half of the table.

Before today Coventry had conceded 26 home league goals yet we managed only one which was yet again the result of a set piece.

Our defensive record especially at home is up there with the best but 9 home goals in 9 league games is piss poor. This has been a problem for several seasons now and a solution seems to be as far away as ever.

We are halfway through the season on NYD and on course for about 50 points ............hopefully that will be enough to keep us in this division but I dread to think of what would happen if we were to get a long term injury to Philliskirk or JCH.

Have we got what it takes to make a challenge next season with these players....can they improve sufficiently and score more consistently or will we need yet another clearout and mass influx of new players as in previous seasons?

I'm not disagreeing.

But I do think the formation in the last two games has been effective against sides in decent form. The Colchester performance is the one that makes me shudder.

Our biggest issue second half at Sheffield Utd was sitting too deep. Today JCH was out on his feet after an hour so was less effective as an outlet until Millar came on.

My worry is he will have nothing in the tank for the Shrewsbury and Liverpool games.

Would LJ risk resting him though ?

Right.

A point away at (Northampton) Coventry is a good result.

BUT.

I'm getting sick and tired of this negative 4-5-1 formation.

I thought we looked more creative with Rooney on the right.

Rooney is not a winger - Schemltz is.

But Sid, as well as having the worst final ball since Colbeck, is a defensive liability.

Tarkowski is not a holding midfielder - Rodgers is.

But Tarky can tackle and head better than Rodgers. And pass equally well.

JCH is not a target man - we don't have one, so why hoof from the back?

It would be good if JCH could add it to his game.

What happened to the 'we'll score more than you mentality' we were promised at the start of the season? I'd much rather watch a 3-2 defeat having had a real go than this negative 'park the bus' :censored:e Johnson seems to have adopted.

I really don't think we've parked the bus. We have had to soak up pressure, but I don't think we invited it today. A good team created it and we looked decent when we hit back at them.

We don't play like the home team when we're at home and we're asking for a spanking when we play away. We need points on the board - draws won't keep us up.

We're not inviting a spanking. While some results have been frustrating we haven't looked like being battered by anybody.

Didn't go today and it seems like a draw was a fair result, however, unless we start to score more goals we are going to stay in the bottom half of the table.

Before today Coventry had conceded 26 home league goals yet we managed only one which was yet again the result of a set piece.

Our defensive record especially at home is up there with the best but 9 home goals in 9 league games is piss poor. This has been a problem for several seasons now and a solution seems to be as far away as ever.

We are halfway through the season on NYD and on course for about 50 points ............hopefully that will be enough to keep us in this division but I dread to think of what would happen if we were to get a long term injury to Philliskirk or JCH.

Have we got what it takes to make a challenge next season with these players....can they improve sufficiently and score more consistently or will we need yet another clearout and mass influx of new players as in previous seasons?

Don't get me going on the need for an attacking central midfielder oafc1955, :wink:

Shrewsbury is a big game

Liverpool is a very much wanted distraction as it is a good pay day for the club

Nobody gets relegated at Christmas, we will improve, we will survive and we will make a push next season

No need to worry

Edited by palmer1

If he carries on like that he's going to convince me he's a decent footballer! Sly might get on board with the idea too!

Went today - i agree with your OP match summary by the way - and, throwing it out there, in my own MoTM poll i'd place Connor Brown 3rd behind my MoTM Petrasso, and then 2nd placed Oxley.

I thought he had a cracking 1st half, which included the interception (and the ref mistaking him for Korey Smith) and the cracking sliding block tackle on Dagnall.

Tailed off dramatically in the 2nd half, but they did focus on hitting our left.

Much improved display from Connor...