Mellor Why Didn't

Sterling didn't het past him in the first half - thought he did well. If you make up your mind about a player in advance you'll never see his good points.

Watched him since he broke few he has impressed me a few times other than that looks like he never will furfill the promise he showed.

Again ill say he should have gone Fulham.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-watched the game on LTV and yes he was caught out a few times, but Sterling stretched the play so much Petrasso needed to be more involved defensively, particularly in the 2nd period. However, going forward, barring a couple of misplaced passes, he still looks our most comfortable player in possession and strode past players time and again down the flank. Awesome eye for a pass and for heavens sake as the LTV commentators reminded me HE IS ONLY 20 YEARS OLD!! He has got a couple of years yet before he needs to be a full regular IMO or before he is written off. He's made strides this season already and whoever mentioned Adam Griffin and David Mellor in the same breath earlier in this thread needs to take a long hard look at themselves!

Edited by eyres_28

Okay, shall we all just agree with you in future?

Sorry that I have an opinion that differs from yours. Although mine has more substance than yours, because he has been less than average under several managers and in the next few years will probably end up playing non league.

As for Mellor being our "top performer"....I can only think that you must be related or something?

Tarky was absolutely superb today!....and if you don't agree with that, you most have an agenda....or you don't understand football?.....Or do we just differ on opinion?

Sorry, but your post lost all credibility when you suggested he was our best player.

You are fully entitled to your opinion, but don't insult people by labelling them bullies/deluded for having a contrasting opinion.

Who knows? It might be you that knows nothing about football.

Trying desperately not to stoop to your level, but I take it by your location that you don't get to many games? Why should your opinion be superior to mine?

Frankly laughable.

Mellor was named man of the match today in several national newspapers' reports of the game.

They obviously agreed that a 20-year-old League One player playing in a relatively unfamiliar position, against an England international, impressed against top-four Premier League opposition.

But quite clearly my post 'lost all credibility' for suggesting he was our best player.

And no offence, but I'd rather risk appearing to 'insult' or 'bully' some (not all) people on here than regularly 'insult' and 'bully' one of our own, young players.

But to think that, or anything positive about Mellor, I guess I must be related to him...

How can you base this? Im sure Lockwood was a left back in his earlier career, and to sacrifice Grounds at CB where he is outstanding would be a huge mistake. I would much rather give Mellor the nailed down LB spot at 20-21 YO with chance to develop ahead of a 32 year old ending his career.

He is probably now known as centre back, but I believe Lockwood played mostly at right back at Yeovil and used to get forward well, he only left because he wanted to return up North.

He went to Bury and played 17 games before a groin operation and long lay off, I assume from this he was struggling for fitness in some of the games.

His move to Guiseley (where's he's been outstanding) was on condition if a league club came in for him he could leave.

My mate at Yeovil thought he was excellent for them - and a said he's a really nice guy too.

Seems an astute addition to the squad.

http://www.ciderspac...ummaryFlag=True

Rooney have nothing to do with helping Kasunga eh Postman Matt? Offering protection and working back to good effect.

But he didn't score from the right wing against Christmas premier league leaders so no credit deserved

Edited by palmer1

Mellor was named man of the match today in several national newspapers' reports of the game.

They obviously agreed that a 20-year-old League One player playing in a relatively unfamiliar position, against an England international, impressed against top-four Premier League opposition.

But quite clearly my post 'lost all credibility' for suggesting he was our best player.

And no offence, but I'd rather risk appearing to 'insult' or 'bully' some (not all) people on here than regularly 'insult' and 'bully' one of our own, young players.

But to think that, or anything positive about Mellor, I guess I must be related to him...

Mellor was nowhere near man of the match, both you and I know that Tarky and Kusunga were far better.

Insult and bully a young player? Don't make me laugh, it's a message board to air views and opinions and that is what I am doing...I never insult or put any of the players down at the match and believe if anything needs saying....this is the place to get it off your chest.

As for him being in an unfamiliar role, I just nearly fell off my chair laughing. While I can agree, he isn't a left back....he has been playing there for at least 2-3 years on and off.

However my concern is that he is also not very good at centre half, central or left midfield.

Rooney have nothing to do with helping Kasunga eh Postman Matt? Offering protection and working back to good effect.

But he didn't score from the right wing against Christmas premier league leaders so no credit deserved

Just watched the game back and Rooney was caught out of position on at least 5 occasions which is understandable and left Kusunga exposed both Smith and Philliskirk took turns to help Kusunga out when exposed.

Mellor was nowhere near man of the match, both you and I know that Tarky and Kusunga were far better.

Insult and bully a young player? Don't make me laugh, it's a message board to air views and opinions and that is what I am doing...I never insult or put any of the players down at the match and believe if anything needs saying....this is the place to get it off your chest.

As for him being in an unfamiliar role, I just nearly fell off my chair laughing. While I can agree, he isn't a left back....he has been playing there for at least 2-3 years on and off.

However my concern is that he is also not very good at centre half, central or left midfield.

Was in the side that kept us up in CM end of last season.

He has to improve his athletic ability and stamina, that is something we all agree on.

However as a 20yr old young lad he has many attributes to go far in this game.

If he is "no good" how did he glide past premiership, no wait, top4 in the premiership midfielders all through that second half? No protection in front of him led to the danger they created down his side.

Just watched the game and although i was critical of Sterlings performance to who i went to the game with, but Sterling for 24 minutes in the second half is quite possibly the most accomplished and outstanding a performance of a right winger you will see, made the pitch as wide as possible at every occasion beat Mellor on every occasion including leaving him flat footed for the 1st goal as Mellor started to back off him in the 2nd half which he didnt in the first half and was a general pest and even handled Dayton at right back for the last ten rather easily.

Just watched the game back and Rooney was caught out of position on at least 5 occasions which is understandable and left Kusunga exposed both Smith and Philliskirk took turns to help Kusunga out when exposed.

You definitely never played the game if you think that was gliding past anyone can drop the shoulder and scuff it past on oncoming player if the body shape is right.

I think David Mellor has a very bright future in the game, and will with the right coaching develop into a very accomplished footballer. I think, just by the fact that he was given the role that he had against a top premiership player, suggests that LJ also thinks the same.

I think David Mellor has a very bright future in the game, and will with the right coaching develop into a very accomplished footballer. I think, just by the fact that he was given the role that he had against a top premiership player, suggests that LJ also thinks the same.

Disagree LJ just didnt feel it was the right game to shuffle his pack by playing Brown out of position or throwing Lockwood into a debut of Roy of the Rovers proportion.

I will be very surprised if Mellor starts at Left Back on Saturday.

Disagree LJ just didnt feel it was the right game to shuffle his pack by playing Brown out of position or throwing Lockwood into a debut of Roy of the Rovers proportion.

I will be very surprised if Mellor starts at Left Back on Saturday.

Well that's strange as the only change to the defence was LJ making a call that Mellor is a better FB **not left back** than Brown, as the latter was left out of the XI and the the defence shifted over to the right. That is LJ saying he wanted Mellor in our back four instead of either Plummer or Connor.

Edited by eyres_28

Everyone's got mates with opinions haven't changed my opinion first half solid enough restricted Sterling nearly every time, second half backed off allowed Sterling time and space and was destroyed definsively again backing up the calls that he isn't no where near fit enough for a professional footballer of his age.

You might be right Matt, but its interesting to hear from people without the predictable negative view of Latics youngsters. Mellor didn't do badly for lad playing out of position and having played a lot of fixtures close together. I'm not sure if fitness is a problem or the reason why he backed off. I'm just don't think he's as quick as Sterling, so might not want to get too tight given that he'd have no chance catching him. Cheer up Matt, you sound like you need a hug.

Everyone's got mates with opinions haven't changed my opinion first half solid enough restricted Sterling nearly every time, second half backed off allowed Sterling time and space and was destroyed definsively again backing up the calls that he isn't no where near fit enough for a professional footballer of his age.

To be fair to the lad he became exposed after they scored, which meant that our players in front of him had to push on a bit, to try and get us back in the game, which in turn left more space for Liverpools players to run into. To say that he was" destroyed" is a bit ott.

Was in the side that kept us up in CM end of last season.

He has to improve his athletic ability and stamina, that is something we all agree on.

However as a 20yr old young lad he has many attributes to go far in this game.

If he is "no good" how did he glide past premiership, no wait, top4 in the premiership midfielders all through that second half? No protection in front of him led to the danger they created down his side.

You fail to point out the fact that he constantly gave the ball away, putting us under pressure.

His distribution is fecking awful.

Re-watched the game on LTV and yes he was caught out a few times, but Sterling stretched the play so much Petrasso needed to be more involved defensively, particularly in the 2nd period. However, going forward, barring a couple of misplaced passes, he still looks our most comfortable player in possession and strode past players time and again down the flank. Awesome eye for a pass and for heavens sake as the LTV commentators reminded me HE IS ONLY 20 YEARS OLD!! He has got a couple of years yet before he needs to be a full regular IMO or before he is written off. He's made strides this season already and whoever mentioned Adam Griffin and David Mellor in the same breath earlier in this thread needs to take a long hard look at themselves!

That would be me. And I think I look pretty fantastic, especially for a Tuesday morning.

Im a Mellor fan, Im just saying Adam Griffin once had a worldy game against SWP, and has since disappeared into the lower leagues. If Mellor isnt given a run and doesnt apply the right attitude he could easily follow him.

Mellor was great in the second half. Trouble is too many people have made up their minds and don't form their opinions based on what is actually happening in front of them.

I think after 3 seasons of being in the first team playing mainly left back or centre midfield with the occasional flit at left wing and the embarrasing stint at centre half i think many fans are in the perfect position to make their minds up about Mellor he hasn't kicked on or developed like Tarkowski has nor does he look like he will, for one reason or another he doesn't look as fit as most other professionals at the club either and his bizarre performance against Brentford makes you think is his head in the right place.

Maybe he wanted to go Fulham and through one avenue or another he wasn't allowed and has never really got over it he is human after all, because unfortunately the way he has been performing he will only digress through leagues in the next few years.

Mellor was great in the second half. Trouble is too many people have made up their minds and don't form their opinions based on what is actually happening in front of them.

like tarkowski, many people just decided he was :censored:e because he made a few mistakes as a 19 year old... even though he was leading a back line, taking the ball out from centre half and showing maturity! Mellor will prove everyone wrong - maybe not to the levels of tarkowski but will do!