Latics 1-2 Franchise: Post match reaction

Well driving back from Oxford today to Ormskirk I thought I'd take a detour as I finished early to take in the game....great decision yeah?

Sat in the RRE for the first time (I'll do that again miles better than the Chaddy)

1st Half....awful, couldn't pass the ball, Gleeson was given 20 yards of space pinging balls all over the place and had a hand in both goals although from where I was Lockwood was at fault for the second (amazes me how many times he went to attack the ball and misjudge it!), Stead is turning out to be another bereft of confidence ( while Rooney bags against Celtic). Only bright spark was Harkins who has impressed every time I see him and I actually now think he is a better player than Baxter.

Please tell me that I haven't dreamt it but I'm sure that you can't be offside from a goal kick...someone needs to tell the liner on the main stand side! The one on the other side resorted to guessing whose throw it was.

Johnson makes 3 changes and they all affected the game in an improved 2nd half performance all brought about by the fact the pushed onto Gleeson so MK couldn't move the ball as quickly however it really really worries me how reliant we are on Harkins!

2 final points.....I have watched him enough now and finally decided there isn't a footballer in Connor Brown time to give it up lad!

Comedy moment of the night.....as the RRE 'youth' sang 'have you ever seen the Prem' to the Franchise followers some guy behind me points out that it's highly likely none of them have either.....certainly put a smile on my face on another cold night!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a noticeable stark change in the composure our defenders have on the ball. It says a lot when a non-league mid-thirties defender is better on the ball than your other one - Wilson's distribution is woeful.

Pair that with two defensive midfielders more on the gritty than graceful side and we're struggling to string sequences of passes together.

It feels like a different team that outpassed and outplayed a Preston team that we made look like Dog and Duck FC on Sky last year. Well, that's because it is. 1 player from that defence remains, and that player, Grounds, was probably the weakest in posession of that group. Philliskirk played through the middle, not ineffective on the wing, and we got some bad luck.

We didn't get the win that night, but I left optimistic about the future. I hoped we could retain most of the squad and push on playing that way. Now we're a totally different side in philosophy and personnel it seems.

We've lost that continuity and we still make multiple changes for each starting line-up. I want us to make a couple of these loanees permanent and be that passing team again for next season with more of a clinical edge. Problem is I can't see that happening...

Edited by NewBlue

First half was horrible. Right hand side a shambles. Brown just would not overlap and Philly would not hang out wide. If Brown's reluctance to overlap is fear of being exposed at the back then he needs a proper RW in front of him who can drop to RB if we lose the ball.

Second half much better but too much of a mountain to climb. Jono should start with C-Mac at Tranmere.

- subs were good but it's easy to come on at two nil down with nothing to lose

- Mk's only chance in the second half WAS onside, by a distance

- brown looked like his hip was still in bits after five minutes

-who would want to play for or be inspired by our fans ? ' get it foward !!! ' why are you hoofing it !!! ' 'keep the ball !!!' ' stop going backwards!!!' ' :censored: off stead!! '

- can we give the chaddy end to away fans and put everyone into the rre end !? This really needs to happen in my opinion .

- dunfield shouldn't be a scapegoat for tonight .

- depressing how empty and dead the place was tonight .

- I've heard people questioning korey smith .

- Don't question korey smith

From someone who sits in the MSP; i'd beg to differ.

Massively.

He got absolutely none of the decisions correct. At all.

He'd have done very well to get his decisions right considering he was hardly ever up with play.

Totally agree with the three comments above.

Relative quality has disappeared to be replaced by journeyman rubbish that has sapped enthusiasm. I remember madly driving down to Shrewsbury on a Tuesday night and heading back looking up the table thinking that we could be onto something with a fair wind this season....I wouldn't bother now.

Our better players are not being used correctly. DP is lost out wide, Grounds has developed into a centre back and looks uncomfortable wider, Charlie Mac has been reduced to chasing lumps and Wes is running around like a headless chicken. God we miss Korey Smith and Kasunga must have been disciplined for his sending off at MK.

We are better than that rubbish tonight...

Why not the other way around or should everyone just sit where you want to sit? (have nothing against RRE)

I've got a season ticket in the main stand actually.

There's a bar in Rochdale road end . There's potential for atmosphere . There's a good view which isn't restricted . There's more potential for a safe standing section . Etc etc etc

Edited by GravityGrave

Why not the other way around or should everyone just sit where you want to sit? (have nothing against RRE)

I sat in the RRE for the first time tonight (always sat in the Chaddy) and the experience was far superior from a viewing point of view....couldn't really answer regarding atmosphere as the was none

I've got a season ticket in the main stand actually.

There's a bar in Rochdale road end . There's potential for atmosphere . There's a good view which isn't restricted . There's more potential for a safe standing section . Etc etc etc

Not against the idea of everyone in either the chaddy or RRE, especially on tuesday nights, feel there would be the same potential for both ends, depends on whether people would move from the chaddy. i'd be willing but a fair few wouldnt i suspect.

There's a noticeable stark change in the composure our defenders have on the ball. It says a lot when a non-league mid-thirties defender is better on the ball than your other one - Wilson's distribution is woeful.

Pair that with two defensive midfielders more on the gritty than graceful side and we're struggling to string sequences of passes together.

It feels like a different team that outpassed and outplayed a Preston team that we made look like Dog and Duck FC on Sky last year. Well, that's because it is. 1 player from that defence remains, and that player, Grounds, was probably the weakest in posession of that group. Philliskirk played through the middle, not ineffective on the wing, and we got some bad luck.

We didn't get the win that night, but I left optimistic about the future. I hoped we could retain most of the squad and push on playing that way. Now we're a totally different side in philosophy and personnel it seems.

We've lost that continuity and we still make multiple changes for each starting line-up. I want us to make a couple of these loanees permanent and be that passing team again for next season with more of a clinical edge. Problem is I can't see that happening...

This is a direct result of getting rid of half of our back line because we're cheap.

Yes it's one or the other but in every aspect the RRE is superior . I completely understand peoples affinity with a certain stand . I sat in the chaddy from the ages of 11 to 20 . It's nothing to do with my view of what's better it's what's better for the club and the team , as I said I sit in the main stand . We need to generate as much atmosphere as possible . It really does make a difference .

I felt as If my club , our club, was completely on its arse tonight during that first half.

Yes it's one or the other but in every aspect the RRE is superior . I completely understand peoples affinity with a certain stand . I sat in the chaddy from the ages of 11 to 20 . It's nothing to do with my view of what's better it's what's better for the club and the team , as I said I sit in the main stand . We need to generate as much atmosphere as possible . It really does make a difference .

I felt as If my club , our club, was completely on its arse tonight during that first half.

Clubs been on it's arse since the famous night at the dogs.

Oxley - Couldn't do much for the goals. Did nout else wrong really. A good save at 2-1 to keep us in it and his kicking has improved along with everything else about his game. But cost me a fiver to playershare for coming up for the corner.

Brown - 75/25 for me. At times he was woeful and clueless but at others dragged us out of the :censored: (their corner at 1-0 cleared off the line twice) but he consantly lost the ball missed tackled and can someone send a searchparty out for his brain. If the refferee had given fouls for pushes in the back he would have been persistantly fouling and causing the altercation just after half time. Also, does anyone know where he was suppost to be playing 2nd half because he defiantly didn't. My guess is it was suppost to RWB but he was more as a right striker. This meant that Dayton was playing LB and couldn't use his attacking qualities to full strength.

Lockwood - okay. The mistake was costly and effectivley cost us the match but his distribution was okay and more than often found a blue shirt. Won most things in the air both attacking and defensively but his tackling can be a little suspect at times.

Wilson - Poor distribution all night so don't get why he was taking long free-kicks. He can read a game well so can put himself in the way of the ball. This along with Lockwood's passing should allow for them to work well together with Wilson mopping up everything behind.

Grounds - Poor passing 1st half, 2nd half got better. Defending okay and got stuck in but a few poor corners. I still feel he looks more confident at CB than LB.

Philliskirk - IS NOT A WINGER. Is uneffective on the wing doesn't get involved in play and doesn't track back enough which occasionally leaves Connor unprotected.

Wesolowski - Normally fantastic but even he gave the ball away a bit. Still got stuck as usual though.

Dunfield - Why was he playing? IMO he should be knowhere near our team. Sine being released by Toronto he's played the no football so why? Winchester was my MOM after Oxley on Saturday and therefore should have started tonight. I don't get why LJ wants to change a winning team . When he came on on saturday we were so deep stopped passing. This started from the word go tonight and led to their first goal. We all know that Wesolowski is a defensive midfielder and I feel that Dufield is too, which shows that if they play together we will be deep and invite presire on to us.

Harkins - Superb again. I think that at our level he is unplayable because defenders don't know how to handle him. He did tired around the 70th minute mark and looked like he needed gas and air. This means I wouldn't be surprised if he is on the bench on Saturday. Even though he said when he joined he wouldn't defend he does put a shift getting back whe he plays LM and his standing tackle is very good.

MacDonald - Best game for a while. Looked average 1st half but second he was lively. I think that him and JCH may start Saturday as they seem to have a good understanding. Well taken goal but that has to be down to poor defending on MK's part.

Stead - Has disapointed me. When he has played against us in the past he has always looked very good but he's been very poor in the few games he's played. I think it is the case that he doesn't give a flying about the club. I wouldn't be surprised if his loan is not renewed.

Winchester - Hardly put a foot wrong again. Good passing and is now getting stuck into challenges and winning them. A lot of fans I know aren't impressed with him but I think that with time and a run in the team (which he deserves) he can progress even more. Under LJ he is improving and righting the wrongs that he has been taught under the previous regimes.

Dayton - Impressive. Showed the form he had at the start of the season. When him and Harkins teamed up on the left they had their RB flagging. He put in a few good crosses and defensively was good. He was the sub I didn't agree with but I am pleased to say I was proved wrong.

Clark-Harris - he did well in the air and held the play up well. I was also impressed with his maturity when the handbags broke out in dragging Brown away. However, when MacDonald was bursting through down towards the corners he wasn't busting a gut to get into the box so he had something to aim at. At times he was just walking around when we were on the attack.

LJ - made a mistake with the team selection. If we can't play the same team due to the fitness of Worral, just change that. Not the heart of midfield that won us the game just 3 days before. He made a bold move by making 3 subs at half time and if possible I would think he would have took Harkins off due to him running himself into the ground. It nearly payed off and on another day it may have done. I also don't see why he continues to play Philliskirk on the wing.

At half time there was a lot of talk of the Peteborough game. That day we were helped by their attacking nature and poor + leaky defense. MK were a lot more organised and solid as a defensive unit which made our goal a whole lot more satisfying but surprising.

I know LJ is young and has no money and that is why we need to stick with him. I heard an old fella saying on the way out that it is worse than Dave Penny. This is no where near as bad. What we need to do is get behind the team and the manager and support our club.

Edited by Oafc1895

I didn't go tonight - last minute decision as I had a :censored:load of work on. Pissed off at the time, until 3 minutes in....

I listened to LP, and I could visualise every play in my head - because I've seen it so many :censored:ing times before. Sooo many times it's now getting rather monotonous. Struggle to get it to half way, pass it sideways half a dozen times then lump it to a corner. Lose the ball, sit deep. Repeat. Jesus, even my kids don't want to go anymore. Good job their season tickets only cost me £10 each. If it wasn't for Gary Harkins I'd be considering my own ST.

I think last Saturday's result really papered over the cracks - we should have lost that game, and I think most realised this. Don't get me wrong, I'll take the win, so many times over the years we've played well and got nothing in return. But we were poor and a better side would have won. Like tonight? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong there....

I've been a bit worried since Christmas. Prior to that (as a friend has pointed out) we had plenty of reasonable players on decent contracts. Many of these have now gone and been replaced by, in my opinion, :censored:e. Dunfield, Lockwood, Wilson, Stead. Or not replaced at all. Many will say the centre halves have been solid so far. I can't say I've seen it. Lucky perhaps, like last Saturday.

We've lost quality and replaced with :censored:e. We seem to be reaping what we have recently been sowing.

What are we preparing for????

bang on about last saturday,the only difference is i went tonight and what you forgot to post was that it was UTTER :censored:E tonight..

Not against the idea of everyone in either the chaddy or RRE, especially on tuesday nights, feel there would be the same potential for both ends, depends on whether people would move from the chaddy. i'd be willing but a fair few wouldnt i suspect.

And another 300 would stop coming in protest aswell.