• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The loss of Baxter was as predictable as it was disappointing. Inability to build a team around a player of his quality at this level is no feather in the manager's cap.

He never appeared to be in the manager' plans so no wonder his form tailed off ,a clueless decision by a club going with no plans beyond the next short term loanee.

Philliskirk has all of next season with an option for 15/16 built in .

We have options on kusunga and Wilson for next season .

Gotta agree with sly . All the defeats earlier in the season were not as hard to take as years gone by due to the product on the pitch coupled with the two year deals . The future looked bright and I genuinely felt as if come 14/15 we could do something similar to what orient and Walsall have this season . Selling Jose did not change my mind on this .

Fast forward a few months :

We are back to nervous and sometimes hit and hope football .

Rooney going on and scoring for fun is just another kick in the balls . BP is a strikers graveyard.

Relying on loans

A high profile, non scoring , journeyman striker on loan.

There's more and one of my main fears is that I think it's pretty nailed on korey will be off in the summer.

Saying all that I'm fully behind LJ and believe we will stay up this season , just. It's a scrap from here on in though and anyone who doesn't think we're in the dogfight is deluded , Lj included.

Another summer of the revolving door on a reduced budget looms large though and this is why , for me , it's more frustrating than ever ..........

I got my six year old a season ticket this season and to my shock he's actually really grown into enjoying it . As I'm separated with his mum I don't see him every weekend therefore he can miss one or two games before seeing the next one. I'd say he's seen us about 9/10 times this season including anfield . So these are some of the conversations I've had with him during 13/14 season .

'Wheres Jose dad ?'

'Weve sold him unfortunately mate'

'Wheres mills dad ?he's fast I really like him '

'Errrm he might be coming back soon , son'

'Wheres Sid ?'

'Hes gone too'

'Do you think Rooney will score today dad?'

'Errrm .... He's left '

I've got a battle on against his mums side who are all united or city fans . It's a loosing battle when a young lad constantly sees a different set of players on the pitch . How can he possibly get some affinity and heroes ? Football is all about heroes to a young boy. 36 players we've used this season is it ?

I'll bite. In addition to opinions4u points above.

We've brought in Wilson and Dunfield on frees.

We will have paid a loan fee for JP Kissock.

We paid a transfer fee for Rhys Turner.

No doubt something would have happened had Tarky stayed, but I doubt we'd have signed Wilson (who I quite like) or Turner.

You think we'll have paid a fee for Kissock, in spite of Johnson having shown little intent to actually use him? I'd like to think not.

I get it. I really do.

I liked the dinks, I enjoyed the set pieces but he upset the balance of the side. Just like Harkins did in his first game.

Striker? Attacking midfielder?

The manager had to compromise somewhere on the pitch to accommodate him.

I disagree that this season would have been vastly different had we kept Baxter and I would actually argue it would have been worse. I imagine that The Baxter deal allowed Philiskirk, Lanzoni and Kusunga to join the club.

He sold an attacking midfielder he thought he couldn't accommodate and lost the goalscorer we've been crying out for all season.

You think we'll have paid a fee for Kissock, in spite of Johnson having shown little intent to actually use him? I'd like to think not.

Macclesfield won't have loaned one of their better players up two divisions without taking a loan fee, despite us paying 100% of his wages.

If you watch Johnson's interviews, he states JP is a long trial rather than a player for the first team. He also says that Kissock is out of contract in the summer.

It may have been £3k and his entire £400 a week wage till the end of the season, but we'll have paid a loan fee.

As much as I worship Harkins, Baxter scored 15 goals. 15 goals.

Baxter scored 15 in 45 or one in 3

Harkins has scored 3 in 11 or just short of 1 in 4.

Not a massive difference

Macclesfield won't have loaned one of their better players up two divisions without taking a loan fee, despite us paying 100% of his wages.

If you watch Johnson's interviews, he states JP is a long trial rather than a player for the first team. He also says that Kissock is out of contract in the summer.

It may have been £3k and his entire £400 a week wage till the end of the season, but we'll have paid a loan fee.

Not a massive difference

Yeah but two of those were in the same game, not to mention one of them was a penalty. OWTB rules.

He should never have got rid of Baxter.

He'd have been on double figures by now and the gates would be 500+ higher.

That, and all of the above, said - I'm confident he'll learn from his mistakes given time.

Do you really believe he had a choice to keep Baxter, even though LJ said he made the decision to let him go?

The money and opportunity came calling and he obviously wanted to go. Release clause was met and there was no way that move wasn't going to happen even if LJ wanted Baxter to stay.

I agree with BP1960 here, we can't score goals because we have two defensive midfielders who attack every leap year and we've had no striker that's sustained any sort of form or fitness. We now have two full backs who pose no attacking threat which makes us too reliant on Harkins, Worrall and DP.

Yeah but two of those were in the same game, not to mention one of them was a penalty. OWTB rules.

Haha :)

Baxter scored two in a game once and a few penalties and his missed dinks count as -5 so Danny Hall should have stayed.

Yes.

I fully believe Sheffield United met whatever sell-on clause was in the contract ala Arsenals €40,000,001 bid for Suarez.

Yes, I just did that.

Not a massive difference

He played in less than half of their games.

Edited by OAFC_Ryan

I prefer Harkins than Baxter?

you must be joking o4u

No joke. Baxter was a joy to watch and I wouldn't diminish his contribution for a second.

But Harkins with his turns, wriggles and flicks to himself are wonderful to see and something that football seems to have lost over the last thirty years. He looks like get should have a fag in one hand and a pint in the other, yet he can burst into the area after numerous jigs and, because he's taken those few seconds longer than other wingers, he creates time for others to get in the box.

I'm well aware he's only been here seven weeks. I accept he was out on his feet after 70 minutes yesterday. I know there's still a chance for him to go :censored: before he returns to St Mirren.

So, for now, absolutely no joke. I prefer Harkins to Baxter.

Edited by opinions4u

Here'ssss Alex......

I'm a man of my word and kept my council for a couple of months BUT......this thread was too juicy not to partake.....

Firstly, it seems where as myself, Post man Matt, may have been Harry and one or two others were in a vocal minority, i'd say a good 20-30% have joined us in doubting Johnson, I say doubting, I cant stand the bloke, I really wish he hasn't appointed him, you guys won't agree but hey at least i'm consistent, unlike Johnson.

Moving onto Harkins over Baxter, wow just wow, I can't even find the words to type how ridiculous this is. Johnson's hands would have been tied with him leaving, but if we had a magic wand, many would rather have Harkins.......A pub player who is standing out because ALL of the other :censored: houses don't stand up and be counted.

Selling Tarkowski is another joke, but hey we managed to get 3 non league players in, WTF am I hearing?, sorry reading, have you all gone insane??? This team is terrible. And to say it goes to the stand, jog on, as if a low 6 figure some goes anywhere towards financing a £6 million stand, the finances will already be in place for that (or maybe not seeing how slow its being 'built'....anyway back to the "manager"

He told us that signings would be thought out, that's why a quick ponder at the squad on Tues sees in the starting XI, 3 loan players, and 3 who have been drafted in on short term deals, on the bench another loan player and a player from the conference north, the conference NORTH!! 3 divisions below, not to mention the bulb from Macclesfield who is on a "long trial" but will never see the starting XI.

I said letting Rooney go was a mistake, I was right, banging them in in a division that is just as good if not better than our division.

Anyway, my blood pressure is about to go through the roof, but one little fact to leave you with....

Out of the last 16 League One games, we have won 4. That form will see us fall through the trap door this season, i'm convinced of it, hell even League 2 fodder Gillingham (who were appalling) should have taken all 3 points.

Worrying times ahead.

TUNNEL VISION

noun

1. a drastically narrowed field of vision, as in looking through a tube, symptomatic of retinis pigmentosa.

2. AN EXTREME NARROW OR PREJUDICED OUTLOOK; NARROW MINDEDNESS.

LEMMING

noun

any of various small, mouselike rodents of the genera Lemmus Myopus, and Dicrostonyx, of far northern regions, as L. lemmus, of Norway, Sweden, etc., noted for periodic mass migrations that sometimes result in mass drownings.

CONFIDENCE MAN (CON-MAN)

noun

a person who swindles others by means of a confidence game, SWINDLER.

SALESMAN

noun

a man who sells goods, services etc.

Red arrow away, I won't be staying around to read the vitriol i'm about to receive for highlighting the truth.

Here'ssss Alex......

I'm a man of my word and kept my council for a couple of months BUT......this thread was too juicy not to partake.....

Firstly, it seems where as myself, Post man Matt, may have been Harry and one or two others were in a vocal minority, i'd say a good 20-30% have joined us in doubting Johnson, I say doubting, I cant stand the bloke, I really wish he hasn't appointed him, you guys won't agree but hey at least i'm consistent, unlike Johnson.

Moving onto Harkins over Baxter, wow just wow, I can't even find the words to type how ridiculous this is. Johnson's hands would have been tied with him leaving, but if we had a magic wand, many would rather have Harkins.......A pub player who is standing out because ALL of the other :censored: houses don't stand up and be counted.

Selling Tarkowski is another joke, but hey we managed to get 3 non league players in, WTF am I hearing?, sorry reading, have you all gone insane??? This team is terrible. And to say it goes to the stand, jog on, as if a low 6 figure some goes anywhere towards financing a £6 million stand, the finances will already be in place for that (or maybe not seeing how slow its being 'built'....anyway back to the "manager"

He told us that signings would be thought out, that's why a quick ponder at the squad on Tues sees in the starting XI, 3 loan players, and 3 who have been drafted in on short term deals, on the bench another loan player and a player from the conference north, the conference NORTH!! 3 divisions below, not to mention the bulb from Macclesfield who is on a "long trial" but will never see the starting XI.

I said letting Rooney go was a mistake, I was right, banging them in in a division that is just as good if not better than our division.

Anyway, my blood pressure is about to go through the roof, but one little fact to leave you with....

Out of the last 16 League One games, we have won 4. That form will see us fall through the trap door this season, i'm convinced of it, hell even League 2 fodder Gillingham (who were appalling) should have taken all 3 points.

Worrying times ahead.

TUNNEL VISION

noun

1. a drastically narrowed field of vision, as in looking through a tube, symptomatic of retinis pigmentosa.

2. AN EXTREME NARROW OR PREJUDICED OUTLOOK; NARROW MINDEDNESS.

LEMMING

noun

any of various small, mouselike rodents of the genera Lemmus Myopus, and Dicrostonyx, of far northern regions, as L. lemmus, of Norway, Sweden, etc., noted for periodic mass migrations that sometimes result in mass drownings.

CONFIDENCE MAN (CON-MAN)

noun

a person who swindles others by means of a confidence game, SWINDLER.

SALESMAN

noun

a man who sells goods, services etc.

Red arrow away, I won't be staying around to read the vitriol i'm about to receive for highlighting the truth.

We all have certain beliefs, many of them completely different on all types of subjects, but most of us do not suffer the delusion that those beliefs which we hold dear are ;The Truth' KTF

No joke. Baxter was a joy to watch and I wouldn't diminish his contribution for a second.

But Harkins with his turns, wriggles and flicks to himself are wonderful to see and something that football seems to have lost over the last thirty years. He looks like get should have a fag in one hand and a pint in the other, yet he can burst into the area after numerous jigs and, because he's taken those few seconds longer than other wingers, he creates time for others to get in the box.

I'm well aware he's only been here seven weeks. I accept he was out on his feet after 70 minutes yesterday. I know there's still a chance for him to go :censored: before he returns to St Mirren.

Totally agree and I still watch Harkins and struggle to understand how he beats his man, time and time again! I sit there absolutely bewildered and love it!

This. Gary Harkins is :censored:ing ace. Worth the entrance fee alone. I pay in the hope of being entertained and he's very very entertaining.