Oooh Roger Palmer chant

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scratch2000uk

Isn't being a bit "Gillingham away" down there a positive stereotype though?

It's not always true though is it Zorro.. :devilish:

We started it following the great Isle of Man tour of 1987. In truth, we were copying Stoke's 'Oooh Georgey Berry.' It didn't seem racist at the time, and it certainly wasn't intended to be. Alan Hardy even turned it into a scarf.

Spot on,all it was at the time was an adaptation of the "Oohh Gary Davies" ingle off radio one,inspired by The Kane Gangs |"Small Town Creed" which had the lyric "Oohh Papa Papa...Oohh Papa papa" in it,later was re-used as theme tune to Byker Grove.Nothing more,nothing less

I thought of the chant in terms as an historical appreciation of one of our legends, but where do you draw the line? there's probably a black player, person at every game. i suppose we should just refrain from singing it, Just in case there's some misunderstanding.

Cringe indeed.

Sing what you like, and to be fair - with only about three songs you have to take what you can get. However, there is no harm in a trust led initiative that can push to feature awareness in the programmes.

http://www.footballbeyondborders.org/

http://www.footballvhomophobia.com/

http://www.footballforequality.org/

Sing what you like, and to be fair - with only about three songs you have to take what you can get. However, there is no harm in a trust led initiative that can push to feature awareness in the programmes.

You want Barry to be a Diversity Facilitator on top of all the other hours he puts in? For shame.

yes it was really awful so much so that i couldnt make any sense out of it

OK Right......Then why comment if you've absolutely no idea what it's about? surely you would have no view one way or the other. Stick to the posts not the person.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I don't actually sing it to be fair Rummy, Although I'm now assuming some supporters may think i was being racist if i had. It could well be the case that some supporters just follow or join in with certain chants/songs when they hear them, without thinking too much into, how or why they started. You know what football grounds are like.

Trust led initiative you say? Maybe, and it wouldn't be a bad idea, you never know. Although i think Barry struggles answering much of what anyone suggests these days, for some reason.

OK Right......Then why comment if you've absolutely no idea what it's about? surely you would have no view one way or the other. Stick to the posts not the person.

I would suggest that you make the posts understandable then, since I replied and was told that you were only being sarcastic, brother!

Sarcasm usually means that the person speaking it means the exact opposite-that intention is quite difficult to convey in the written word.

I don't actually sing it to be fair Rummy, Although I'm now assuming some supporters may think i was being racist if i had.

I don't think anyone is saying there's owt wrong with the song as something we sing for a legend. It's just when its used as a way of pointing out the presence of a black person it gets a little cringeworthy

Guest Scratch2000uk

I don't think anyone is saying there's owt wrong with the song as something we sing for a legend. It's just when its used as a way of pointing out the presence of a black person it gets a little cringeworthy

I know there's nothing wrong with it when chanted celebrating a legend, my point is,How are fellow singers/chanters supposed to know if it's been started for more sinister reasons? Unless you witness who started it and know the reason why. Hence why i asked if it shouldn't be chanted at all, in case of misunderstanding.

Spot on,all it was at the time was an adaptation of the "Oohh Gary Davies" ingle off radio one,inspired by The Kane Gangs |"Small Town Creed" which had the lyric "Oohh Papa Papa...Oohh Papa papa" in it,later was re-used as theme tune to Byker Grove.Nothing more,nothing less

Not very on message that post mate.

I know there's nothing wrong with it when chanted celebrating a legend, my point is,How are fellow singers/chanters supposed to know if it's been started for more sinister reasons? .

Maybe I was jumping to unfair conclusions on Saturday but when Ooh Roger Palmer was getting sung every time the black linesman gave us a throw-in - and not at any other time - it was either a really odd coincidence, or they were targetting him.

I would suggest that you make the posts understandable then, since I replied and was told that you were only being sarcastic, brother!

Sarcasm usually means that the person speaking it means the exact opposite-that intention is quite difficult to convey in the written word.

maybe it's you who find it hard to comprehend then brother.

OWTB is somewhat boring at times.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Maybe I was jumping to unfair conclusions on Saturday but when Ooh Roger Palmer was getting sung every time the black linesman gave us a throw-in - and not at any other time - it was either a really odd coincidence, or they were targetting him.

So, when can fans sing or chant Oooh Roger Palmer, when there are no black officials/players present? Or should we be looking to ban it altogether?

So, when can fans sing or chant Oooh Roger Palmer, when there are no black officials/players present? Or should we be looking to ban it altogether?

By using Roger's chant for supposed other purposes rather than celebrating Roger (if he's knocking about at BP), or in a "medley" of other legend songs (when else would anybody want to sing it) it's created that problem, blame those who decided to make it so.

You are quite the arsehole at times Rummy. Let me see, oh yes you haven't the time otherwise you'd do such a better job. Jog on.

Please, do continue with your "straight out of a 1970's shop steward manual" gimmick, it amuses me.

Perhaps when its not aimed at black people. I for one don't believe there is a coincidence, i've seen it many many times over the last decade when its been completely obvious that its been aimed at a black person e.g. the singers have been pointing at the individual whilst singing it, i've also seen it being sang when black people have got onto trains on away trips. Frankly, unless it is being sang with any other 'retro' songs, I would always question the trigger for it now.

I remember Oldham (especially the chaddy end) singing this during the Palmer days whenever there was an oldham corner, generally after the standard chant of 'come on oldham' so regardless of whether there are black players in the box on the corner I sing it in my head and then if it is sung I then join in. I don't sing it to be racist, I'm not racist and I never would be, however I think the 'race card' is over used. People are saying that singing 'ooohh roger palmer' song is racist because we sing it whenever there is a black person, it's hardly insulting the person directly which is what racism is and racism only gets out of hand if taken offensively by the race being discriminated. This song I believe has no racism behind it at all and that doesn't make me racist wanting to sing a song about a fantastic player during the glory days