Oooh Roger Palmer chant

The song in its most common version is not racist, (there are versions I've heard that are openly racist though), however, like many others have said it is often (to point of being almost always) sung in situations with racial undertones, as even when it has been sung at individuals who legitimately look like the legend himself (or more accurately how the legend looked like- he hasn't exactly aged well), that still doesn't prevent it from having racial undertones.

It is however a legitimate song to sing after all he is still an Oldham legend to the point he has a Gold Brick (although that doesn't guarantee the legend status, cough Corney cough) and is likely to be our leading goal scorer for many many years. So instead of singing it to/at Black people why don't we sing it at other times? As an attempt to reclaim the song as it were, we could even do the slightly cringe-worthy singing of it at a pre-determined time, like the 7th or 11th or 19th minute, or for our first corner, or something similar

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scratch2000uk

Perhaps when its not aimed at black people. I for one don't believe there is a coincidence, i've seen it many many times over the last decade when its been completely obvious that its been aimed at a black person e.g. the singers have been pointing at the individual whilst singing it, i've also seen it being sang when black people have got onto trains on away trips. Frankly, unless it is being sang with any other 'retro' songs, I would always question the trigger for it now.

I never said there was a coincidence, but now when people chant it for legitimate reasons.some of the fans on here will automatically think the chanters are some sort of racists, as you agree, That's just as wrong in my eyes, it's certainly prejudice. it's either a racist chant or not, you can't really have it both ways unless you chant it at Roger directly. Thanks to those of you who use it inappropriately, you're a :censored:ing joke.

Let's face it. The chant is only sung by people under 20 (under 16?) who have probably never seen Roger Palmer play, and used simply as racial slur with very limited intelligibility. It's like shouting fxxxxxx black bxxxxxx in Serbo Croat!

I never said there was a coincidence, but now when people chant it for legitimate reasons.some of the fans on here will automatically think the chanters are some sort of racists, as you agree, That's just as wrong in my eyes, it's certainly prejudice. it's either a racist chant or not, you can't really have it both ways unless you chant it at Roger directly. Thanks to those of you who use it inappropriately, you're a :censored:ing joke.

Well said about the inappropriate use scratch.

Yes you may be right about people assuming but it's probably the lesser of two evils, though I believe understanding swings both ways with such situations.

I remember Oldham (especially the chaddy end) singing this during the Palmer days whenever there was an oldham corner, generally after the standard chant of 'come on oldham' so regardless of whether there are black players in the box on the corner I sing it in my head and then if it is sung I then join in. I don't sing it to be racist, I'm not racist and I never would be, however I think the 'race card' is over used. People are saying that singing 'ooohh roger palmer' song is racist because we sing it whenever there is a black person, it's hardly insulting the person directly which is what racism is and racism only gets out of hand if taken offensively by the race being discriminated. This song I believe has no racism behind it at all and that doesn't make me racist wanting to sing a song about a fantastic player during the glory days

I think you need to work on your definition of racism.

Another scenario...

Imagine Chris Birchall, who is white, and qualified to play for Trinidad and Tobago (A majority bl*ck country - I've put the asterix in incase it's racist to say bl*ck) at the 2006 World Cup because his mother was born there whilst his grandparents were on holiday plays a game in Trinidad and the locals start a chant off of ahhhhhh Chris Birchall.

I then (hypothetically) run the line in a local Trinidad league fixture and the majority bl*ck locals chant ahhhhh Chris Birchall at me, would piss my pants and have a cry about it??? No I wouldn't and to be fair, no bl*ck (insert alternative to try and not offend - mixed raced, half cast, coloured etc) has said zip.

As per usual in this country, problems are cause by "do-gooders" feeling they have to stand up for all minorities as we've been brain washed into believing we're the most offensive creatures on the planet, because there were racist chants 40 years ago.

Now where's that fat speccy curly haired illegitimate bastard, i'm gonna bog** wash the smelly get.

**NB ** No offence intended to all the toilets of this world.

Johnson out!!!

Green arrow away...

Another scenario...

Imagine Chris Birchall, who is white, and qualified to play for Trinidad and Tobago (A majority bl*ck country - I've put the asterix in incase it's racist to say bl*ck)...

He and you would probably take it very well as you have never ever been subjected to the same intense racial discrimination a black person endures in their lifetime. That and your colour, presumably white, has not been restrained, oppressed, enslaved, or dehumanised by blacks for over 200 years.

However the tone, direction and timing of your hypothetical chant is still racist.

He and you would probably take it very well as you have never ever been subjected to the same intense racial discrimination a black person endures in their lifetime. That and your colour, presumably white, has not been restrained, oppressed, enslaved, or dehumanised by blacks for over 200 years.

However the tone, direction and timing of your hypothetical chant is still racist.

Nail hit firmly on the head. It is simply impossible to compare the two situations.