Oooh Roger Palmer chant

Am I the only one in feeling uncomfortable hearing ooh Roger Palmer chant at away grounds?

I know Roger Palmer was a darling among Latics fans during his time with us. But that chant nowadays is always directed at a black or Asian player, official, steward or supporter, and does sound like mildly racist to me, except that nobody outside our fans knows what on earth we are talking about. Yesterday the linesman to the left of the away end was Asian, and he was subjected to Roger Palmer chant from our singing section every time he came near us.

Am I being paranoid or it's something that needs to be addressed?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree. it's pathetic. Roger was one of our greatest ever players and to sing his name at someone just because they are black/Asian is an insult to him and in my opinion is racist. If you chant something at someone solely because of the colour of their skin, that has to be racist.

By all means, if someone looks like Ooh Roger, sing at them but not being white doesn't make them look like him.

That aside, the atmosphere yesterday wad fantastic.

Isn't the first time our fans have done that. I remember a Huddersfield steward getting the same chant his way but to be fair he was sound about it and seemed to be smiling and sorta joining in the 'banter'.

It's probably more ignorant than racist I'd reckon. I always associate racism with menace and sinister undertones. I'd associate this kinda nonsense as idiocy-led stereotyping at worse.

You'll never beat Earl Barrett would at least be kind of original.

I never felt comfortable singing, and therefore resisted, the oooohhh Roger Palmer chant. I clearly remember it started out as a racist monkey chant by some supporters soon after he joined in 1980 and slowly evolved into something that on face value was harmless. It would be interesting to hear of Rogers view.

Don't get me wrong there is no doubt the chant was sung with absolute affection in the mid and later years, it was the origin of the chant I was upset with.

It's probably more ignorant than racist I'd reckon. I always associate racism with menace and sinister undertones. I'd associate this kinda nonsense as idiocy-led stereotyping at worse.

I think it is racist, personally I believe the sinister undertone is there, but what they are chanting isnt that bad so no one cares. Whats meant by it is "HE'S BLACK, HE'S BLACK - LETS ALL POINT"

The "Andy Ritchie's magic" song doesn't come out when there is a bald steward there. Its spontaneous. I dont find "Ooh Roger Palmer" racist, but pointing at a random black player, steward or whoever and singing it, I do.

Edited by pukka

I think it is racist, personally I believe the sinister undertone is there, but what they are chanting isnt that bad so no one cares. Whats meant by it is "HE'S BLACK, HE'S BLACK - LETS ALL POINT"

The "Andy Ritchie's magic" song doesn't come out when there is a bald steward there. Its spontaneous. I dont find "Ooh Roger Palmer" racist, but pointing at a random black player, steward or whoever and singing it, I do.

That's exactly how I fee about it.

I never felt comfortable singing, and therefore resisted, the oooohhh Roger Palmer chant. I clearly remember it started out as a racist monkey chant by some supporters soon after he joined in 1980 and slowly evolved into something that on face value was harmless. It would be interesting to hear of Rogers view.

Don't get me wrong there is no doubt the chant was sung with absolute affection in the mid and later years, it was the origin of the chant I was upset with.

The racist element was obvious when the chant by some became 'Oooh Early Barrett' when he started playing for Latics.

The racist element was obvious when the chant by some became 'Oooh Early Barrett' when he started playing for Latics.

"Camouflaged racism", the widely sung Chaddy End classic "ooh Early Barrett" - as ridiculous & unacceptable singing OOh Roger Palmer to a black lino was on Saturday this thread does highlight what a minor problem (if a problem at all) racism was and still is at OAFC.

Which is good.

Edited by HarryBosch

I remember when "Ooh Roger Palmer" was sung at Oumare Tounkara when he first player. Quicky changed into "Ouuumare Tounkara" naturally.

Is this again camouflaged racism? At the time I thought it was quite a thing comparing Tounkara to one of our best ever strikers, but now I can see the underlying hint.

Like others have said though, a minor problem in an otherwise very problematic club, at times.

I remember when "Ooh Roger Palmer" was sung at Oumare Tounkara when he first player. Quicky changed into "Ouuumare Tounkara" naturally.

Is this again camouflaged racism? At the time I thought it was quite a thing comparing Tounkara to one of our best ever strikers, but now I can see the underlying hint.

Eh?

It rhymed/worked.

Edited by HarryBosch

I sing Andy Ritchie's magic every time I see a witch, wizard or warlock