full backs

You will not survive in this league if your full backs are your 2 weakest all round players in the team

Both have no positional sense and constantly stand off their men. They have no idea when to cover for team mates and are both weak in the tackle.

One has some talent with the football at his feet and the other is Connor Brown.

Mellor was caught out twice and we conceded twice and god knows how Brown got away with it in the first half.

We have some talented players in this team but Preston are far better organised and stronger off the ball than we are and that was a big difference today.Two much :censored:ting out of challenges and when you do that against Kilkenny that's a worry (Korey Smith)

Today was frustrating more than anything because again it shows good organisation can help you go far in this league.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think connor brown has been made the scapegoat, i think if he had game time he would play better but when you are dropped for kasunga after having a good game it does mess with a young lads confidence.. needs few more games to grow in confidence…..

I also think that david mellor is not a left back and is still young, if we are to see best of him next season if kept on, he needs to go out on loan and come back revitalised…..

Brown is one of the only players to come out of today with any credit. Yup, he dropped one big clanger in the first half but this was just him joining the club with the rest of the team. He was comfortable on the ball and was linking up well with Worrall. Our problems in the first half did not stem from our right back, rather that we were unable to cope with Preston's high tempo pressing game once we got into their half.

Mellor too had his moments going backwards but his surging run in the second half sparked off the spell which ultimately led to our goal.

Connor Brown has had some serious runs bin this team, this season and last and is no excuse for basic defensive ability.

When has he been made a scapegoat? I have stated on here more than once my opinion on him but have found others defend him. Better than he defends may I add.

I don't think he has been made a scapegoat especially in a thread that's not happy with either full back.

Imo opinion people are mistaking looking busy and seeing plenty of the ball with actually doing anything of note.

They both saw plenty of the ball especially Brown in the first half but they provided nothing except loose passes and nothing crosses. Brown aslso caused problems last the back on 2 occasions, 1 with a bad ball back and the other trying to beat a man.

Korey Smith was :censored: today but at least he has some talent and gives the team something even on a poor day

Edited by palmer1

Brown constantly received the ball from the clueless Worrall first half, expecting him to produce magic ! Connor did alright at least he was actually trying to get us going. Mellor played well going forward, terrible defensively though he should be a winger, why no Wilson from the start ?

What protection did Jeebsy give Mellor today? Didn't go today, but whenever I've seen him, I've always thought he leaves his full back a bit over exposed...

Very little, and him leaving his full-back overexposed is probably why St Mirren have loaned him to us, it's definitely a serious down side to his play.

But Harkins can't be blamed for the first goal, which was scored down their right, and has been credited to their RW.

Very little, and him leaving his full-back overexposed is probably why St Mirren have loaned him to us, it's definitely a serious down side to his play.

But Harkins can't be blamed for the first goal, which was scored down their right, and has been credited to their RW.

I think he's a cracking player, but he's not gonna be a left winger as long as he's got a hole in his buttock...

What protection did Jeebsy give Mellor today? Didn't go today, but whenever I've seen him, I've always thought he leaves his full back a bit over exposed...

This, this and this again. Mellor was hopelessly exposed and not just by Harkins. One of the deep lying midfielders had to shift across to cover the space left by Harkins going forwards or the inevitable was always going to happen.

That said, he didn't do well on either goal and his basic body shape was far too square. He was however a decent outlet in possession - especially when the game opened up in the second half.

At the very least Connor Brown brings an energy and hunger to the side which was sadly lacking in many other areas today.

Connor Brown was one of our best players today.

Yeah, thought he was decent, other than his two wayward back-passes in the first-half. Thought Mellor just came up against a formidable opponent, but perhaps he could have got closer to his man.

I'm not sure I see the point in getting the ball wide, anyway. When ever we cross the ball in there's either no one in the box or it goes straight to the opposition.

What's Ronnie up to these days?!? (Joking....)

Thought Brown was decent tho his positing can be a bit off but at least he tries to go forward even tho he doesn't have ability with ball at his feet. Mellor I thought was awful. Made to look worse because he was up against a speedster with no help but the lack of effort to close down the first goal was woeful. It was almost like he thought their lad had no chance of bringing it down. These days your full backs have to act as auxilary wingers and ours aren't preparers or don't have the ability to support the attack and pin teams back

Apart from his usual turning back instead of crossing he ball (hasn't LJ instructed him on this aspect of his game by now ?) and a couple of errors he showed plenty of enthusiasm.

One thing is for certain, Rotherham and Crewe will be looking to play the fastest players on their books on the right wing if Mellor continues at left back.

As already said, both our full backs are awful, weak defensively and offer nothing going forward. Prior to Christmas, we had Lanzoni and Mills but the constant cloth cutting by our owner have seen them replaced by sub standard players.

I've said it before but got shot down for saying it but can anyone tell me why Carl Winchester isn't given game time at full back ? He's taller than brown , better on the ball , better going forward and is about the same as brown at defending . So why isn't he played ? Or is it because he's out of our academy and no manager like giving kids out of our academy a chance ?

I've said it before but got shot down for saying it but can anyone tell me why Carl Winchester isn't given game time at full back ? He's taller than brown , better on the ball , better going forward and is about the same as brown at defending . So why isn't he played ? Or is it because he's out of our academy and no manager like giving kids out of our academy a chance ?

I forgot we signed Tarky, Mellor, Eardley et all for 100k sums....