Korey Smith

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought on the pitch its the captains job to rally the team, otherwise whats his purpose ?

Honestly?

Coin Toss.

Rare occasions where the referee wants to grab both teams captains to have a word over an incident(s)

and...

Yep, the captain should be nice & vocal whilst out on the pitch, but it's not his job to rally the side or get them to spark. Each player has a responsibility to do that. We don't have enough who do though. Look at Wes vs Peterborough as an example. Look at Tarky when he was here. It's one of the few things that Lockwood does well. But that's not enough, each & everyone of them should be doing it throughout the 90mins.

Korey is a more than adequate captain. He is vocal, he does encourage. But he shouldn't be the only one.

And in reality, a captain's role is for show more than anything anyways...

EDIT: read the rest of the thread before posting Sylvester - other have made the same points!

Edited by slystallone

His performance on Saturday as captain was embarassing. I think the lad has got all the ability in the world to become a very good centre midfielder, but he just doesnt have any desire to get forward, which is a massive shame, as the only time he got forward on Saturday he pinged a great effort which caused the keeper all sorts of problems. With him and Wes in the middle, someone needs to make the decision to take a step into the opposition half, and him being the leader and captain, he should be the one driving forwards, rather than being the safety player. Dean Furman got a lot of stick for being a crab, but I dont see any difference between the 2 at the minute. He needs to up his game if LJ is to persist with what are our 2 best central midfield players. Otherwise LJ needs to make the big decision to drop one of them, and play Harkins or Philiskirk in there, who have the will to get forward.

Maybe you are totally correct. The preview for tonight's match on the Official Site is by Terry Dunfield. Perhaps we are going to drop our best player for him?

Maybe you are totally correct. The preview for tonight's match on the Official Site is by Terry Dunfield. Perhaps we are going to drop our best player for him?

God nooooo!!!!!!!! I dont think he should be dropped if its a choice between him and Wes. I just feel if him and Wes as our 2 best central midfielders want to play together, one of them has to step up and becoming an attacking threat. And Smith being the leader and more talented of the 2 shoudl be that man.

God nooooo!!!!!!!! I dont think he should be dropped if its a choice between him and Wes. I just feel if him and Wes as our 2 best central midfielders want to play together, one of them has to step up and becoming an attacking threat. And Smith being the leader and more talented of the 2 shoudl be that man.

Despite Wes being one of our best and most consistent players over the past 3 seasons, I'd say he's the problem in midfield. Furman was great when playing with Stephens as they complimented each other, but nowhere near as good alongside Wes as their playing styles clashed. Smith looked better playing alongside Mellor at the back end of last season than he has alongside Smith. Since then, I'd say we've upgraded on Furman with Smith, but Wes is still there. For us to move forward, he need's replacing with someone with a similar playing style to Stephens.

Despite Wes being one of our best and most consistent players over the past 3 seasons, I'd say he's the problem in midfield. Furman was great when playing with Stephens as they complimented each other, but nowhere near as good alongside Wes as their playing styles clashed. Smith looked better playing alongside Mellor at the back end of last season than he has alongside Smith. Since then, I'd say we've upgraded on Furman with Smith, but Wes is still there. For us to move forward, he need's replacing with someone with a similar playing style to Stephens.

Very well said. I argued earlier in the season for the inclusion of Mellor partnering Smith in midfield. Frustratingly, Mellor cocked his chance up when he was sent off away at Rotherham and Wes has been brilliant since.

As well as Wes has played, he's been a rock in our midfield, I feel as though we're in a position like QPR at the end of last season in the Premier League: we've gone and put all our best players in the team when it doesn't necessarily make the best combinations.

After the anticipation that Smith would begin to get further upfield during the season, he hasn't. He appears to be satisfield with sitting deep, collecting the ball and passing simply which is fine if you have a partner for him pushing us forwards; Wes isn't that player.

It'd be cruel to either midfielder to drop them, individually they've been two of our better players but sometimes it's best to have an efficient, collective system than individuals.

God nooooo!!!!!!!! I dont think he should be dropped if its a choice between him and Wes. I just feel if him and Wes as our 2 best central midfielders want to play together, one of them has to step up and becoming an attacking threat. And Smith being the leader and more talented of the 2 should be that man.

They both must have been asked to do that time and time again, but still practically hold hands with each other in their own half - especially early doors at BP.

Both being naturally defensive minded I can't see them changing their outlook (I wish they would), so the answer maybe is to bring in someone with more attacking awareness in one of the central midfield berths.

Edited by BP1960

We would be a poorer team without Korey Smith, Maybe LJ should be looking for a goalscoring midfielder in the loan market to work along side him. Smith IMO is a better footballer than Wes. I think we should be blaming the tactics rather than the player

goal scoring midfielder? they're usually found in the premier league... hence why we don't have one

Get your tin hat on Rob!

Smith has been :censored: since January, at least.

Makes me wonder if rejecting a deal on deadline day has anything to do with it. He no longer seems to have the desire to play as he did before Christmas time. He was our best player, a glimmer of hope in an otherwise average set up before then. Now, i'd rather not have him in the team if he's not going to lead and he's going to pass it sideways or backwards all the time.

Brutal, but honest.

Smith has been :censored: since January, at least.

Makes me wonder if rejecting a deal on deadline day has anything to do with it. He no longer seems to have the desire to play as he did before Christmas time. He was our best player, a glimmer of hope in an otherwise average set up before then. Now, i'd rather not have him in the team if he's not going to lead and he's going to pass it sideways or backwards all the time.

Brutal, but honest.

And worse still Wesolowski is playing like a clone of him.

Edited by BP1960

Byrom made Furman look like an attacking midfielder on Saturday......hopefully Wes will continue to get forward more

He had clearly been told to play a defensive midfield position, he was playing behind Wes, by all accounts that's not his style!

He had clearly been told to play a defensive midfield position, he was playing behind Wes, by all accounts that's not his style!

why continue to blame the players for the style of play we know what happens if players dont stick to the game plan ask the likes of scmeltz and jch for conformation some fans really cant see the wood for the trees.