Korey Smith

His performance on Saturday as captain was embarassing. I think the lad has got all the ability in the world to become a very good centre midfielder, but he just doesnt have any desire to get forward, which is a massive shame, as the only time he got forward on Saturday he pinged a great effort which caused the keeper all sorts of problems. With him and Wes in the middle, someone needs to make the decision to take a step into the opposition half, and him being the leader and captain, he should be the one driving forwards, rather than being the safety player. Dean Furman got a lot of stick for being a crab, but I dont see any difference between the 2 at the minute. He needs to up his game if LJ is to persist with what are our 2 best central midfield players. Otherwise LJ needs to make the big decision to drop one of them, and play Harkins or Philiskirk in there, who have the will to get forward.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I agree that he doesn't get forward enough because he's regularly around the box instrumental in attacks.

The problem might be that he's not doing a duxbury and getting on the end of crosses in the box. But we don't have that kind of midfielder.

Not sure I agree that he doesn't get forward enough because he's regularly around the box instrumental in attacks.

The problem might be that he's not doing a duxbury and getting on the end of crosses in the box. But we don't have that kind of midfielder.

Hes not instrumental in attacks, Harkins is and occasionally Worrall are. If they dont do something, we dont do something. Smith is happy to pick up a cleared 2nd ball 45 yards away from goal and pass it to his full back, rather than getting it 45 yards from goal. He is probably one of our quicker players, yet slows the tempo of a game right down. Its not the style of play we saw early season where everything seemed energetic.

We would be a poorer team without Korey Smith, Maybe LJ should be looking for a goalscoring midfielder in the loan market to work along side him. Smith IMO is a better footballer than Wes. I think we should be blaming the tactics rather than the player

11 shots in 42 appearances from our central midfielder is pretty diabolical to be honest

Apologies 16 shots. Still poor.

Genuine question as I don't know and can't be arsed finding out but what is a good number of shots to have had? And what midfielders in our league have achieved that?

Genuine question as I don't know and can't be arsed finding out but what is a good number of shots to have had? And what midfielders in our league have achieved that?

If you are looking at someone scoring goals from midfield, youve got to have a midfielder having a pop at least once every 2 games, right? Hes managing 1 shot in 3 games. Although lets be honest the stat that matters is 1 goal from 42 games. Not good enough.

Its not the lack of shooting that concerns me, its his unwillingness to move into attacking space, hes happier dropping backwards off the shoulder to receive it, where hes not in a position to cause another team any danger, rather than playing in the opposition half.

I agree Smith with the ball at his feet is a great player and rarely loses it, he could just be a bit more adventurous than ticking the ball sideways from full back to full back. It is poor tactics from the manager to have 2 like minded non-attacking threats in midfield, but Smith has the ability to adapt his game going forward.

Edited by youngen

He is completely lacking in confidence, and that plainly showed in his choice and execution of pass on Saturday.

However he remains our best player and captain and needs to shoulder responsibility more than he did within that game.

However anybody considering dropping him against a strong and physical Rotherham side who press high up the pitch and will try and force us to drive the ball long into their strengths is crazy in my opinion - and cannot have watched the first game between the teams!

If you are looking at someone scoring goals from midfield, youve got to have a midfielder having a pop at least once every 2 games, right? Hes managing 1 shot in 3 games. Although lets be honest the stat that matters is 1 goal from 42 games. Not good enough.

Its not the lack of shooting that concerns me, its his unwillingness to move into attacking space, hes happier dropping backwards off the shoulder to receive it, where hes not in a position to cause another team any danger, rather than playing in the opposition half.

I agree Smith with the ball at his feet is a great player and rarely loses it, he could just be a bit more adventurous than ticking the ball sideways from full back to full back. It is poor tactics from the manager to have 2 like minded non-attacking threats in midfield, but Smith has the ability to adapt his game going forward.

I would expect such a player to have 3 or 4 shots a game.

His form dipped around the end of last year. Perhaps his agent was touting him around, hence the big offer we turned down. Maybe he was unsettled by it all, and isn't happy about us stopping him moving to the Championship.

He is completely lacking in confidence, and that plainly showed in his choice and execution of pass on Saturday.

However he remains our best player and captain and needs to shoulder responsibility more than he did within that game.

However anybody considering dropping him against a strong and physical Rotherham side who press high up the pitch and will try and force us to drive the ball long into their strengths is crazy in my opinion - and cannot have watched the first game between the teams!

We're a million miles away from that side....

His form dipped around the end of last year. Perhaps his agent was touting him around, hence the big offer we turned down. Maybe he was unsettled by it all, and isn't happy about us stopping him moving to the Championship.

We all know that if it was a "big offer", we'd have snapped their (rumoured to be Blackpool) hand off...

I would expect such a player to have 3 or 4 shots a game.

He's the captain of the team, it's his job to get the best out of players on the pitch - including himself.

If he's not capable of doing this leave him out - and give the captaincy to someone who can rally the team.

Edited by BP1960

For what it's worth, these are the football league's official statistics, which seem to conflict with the club website:

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/DivisionalShooting/0,,10794~201325,00.html

According to the FL Smith has had 9 on target and 26 off.

Edited by LaticsChris

I would have thought on the pitch its the captains job to rally the team, otherwise whats his purpose ?

This fascination about the captaincy is strange. If you're playing in a team then it's your responsibility to rally your team mates, particularly if you're a senior player. It's a team sport, everyone relies on each other, not just the captain.

Anyway I see a lot of encouraging from Smith, he might not bawl and scream but he's always speaking to his team mates.

He's the captain of the team, it's his job to get the best out of players on the pitch - including himself.

If he's not capable of doing this leave him out - and give the captaincy to someone who can rally the team.

Captain means nothing.

We need several leaders out there to constantly be rallying & instructing - Lockwood does this, Tarkowski did, ...... but no-one else does and therein lies another one of our problems.