Johnson in or out ?

Johnson in or out?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Johnson in or out?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although im sure he will of studied them he could do worse than follow alex fergusons advice within his 7 leadership secrets is this little nugget.

The first thought for 99% of new managers is to make sure they win - to survive.

They bring experiance in, often from previous clubs, but I think its important to build a structure for a football club not just a football team. You need a foundation.

Edited by yarddog73

Name them.

It's a list that could go on forever.

John Gregory and Brian Little were mentioned from a long list of applicants by Corney. Jim Gannon was selling cars last I heard. Sammy McIlroy had some joy in the lower leagues. Kuqi's got a job in Finland. Mike Flynn is doing ok in non-League. Maybe Andy Ritchie would have another crack at it. Has Martin Allen found work yet? Wasn't Scholes doing his coaching badges?

Now I can build a case against all of these. But then a 32 year old rookie on a losing streak isn't an obvious catch.

The point is there's a long list of retired players, failed managers, unlucky managers, assistant managers and wannabes out there who would and probably could do the job.

Name them.

Gary Rowett, Nigel Worthington, Justin Edinburgh, Mark Yates all done good jobs at their clubs.

Chris Wilder would have been a good shout but recently moved.

Don't really follow non league but Nicky Law must be doing some job to have Alfreton where they are.

Always high scoring teams.

Were they direct?

I'd be lying if I said I'd watched his teams dozens of times.

But what I recall was a side that got the ball forward quickly and took chances.

Cambridge fans were whining about style of play when they were top of the Conference last Autumn.

Edited by opinions4u

In asking whether it's time for any manager to go, I ask the question "has the manager hit the ceiling of his ability?" I have only ever answered "yes" and wanted 1 manager to leave.

At present, I wouldn't say he has but like others have said, for me he's not far from it. There are some huge things that worry me. Like, I think he can spot a player worth bringing in (a gamble/potential) but I don't think he has the ability to coach/bring them on whatsoever. I also think we are one of the most disorganised teams I've ever seen. At least in other managers, you knew what they were trying to do. Whether it was sideways and backwards. We'd have some shape. We'd not be completely overrun in midfield game after game. We'd not have players running about aimlessly...I keep seeing Worrall popping up at LB at times and thinking WTF?!?! But then the LB position is a desperate problem at present. And Worrall, well, I've not been impressed by him at all so far.

The things going for LJ though is that truthfully, I thought this season would be a disaster. It hasn't been yet, so he deserves some credit for that. However, there were some things at the end of last season that alarmed me. Bury away especially. The first half was utterly abject in such a vital game. The team weren't up for it at all. And how many times have we seen that since this season? But so far, we've kept our heads above water. Just. Now we need to swim away from this danger. I do support the managers more than most simply because of the :censored: sandwich our leader feeds him. But being 12mths into the job, having such constraints against him or the stability at all costs arguments can't wash if a manager stinks out the place. LJ hasn't so far. But there's a smell in the wardrobe brewing. He came in at this point last season with a similar job to do...back then though, he had the fresh air of new manager syndrome and the gift of the gabb. This time, it's a very different scenario and it will make or break him. If he succeeds, he will learn a hell of a lot. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that happens.

In asking whether it's time for any manager to go, I ask the question "has the manager hit the ceiling of his ability?" I have only ever answered "yes" and wanted 1 manager to leave.

At present, I wouldn't say he has but like others have said, for me he's not far from it. There are some huge things that worry me. Like, I think he can spot a player worth bringing in (a gamble/potential) but I don't think he has the ability to coach/bring them on whatsoever. I also think we are one of the most disorganised teams I've ever seen. At least in other managers, you knew what they were trying to do. Whether it was sideways and backwards. We'd have some shape. We'd not be completely overrun in midfield game after game. We'd not have players running about aimlessly...I keep seeing Worrall popping up at LB at times and thinking WTF?!?! But then the LB position is a desperate problem at present. And Worrall, well, I've not been impressed by him at all so far.

The things going for LJ though is that truthfully, I thought this season would be a disaster. It hasn't been yet, so he deserves some credit for that. However, there were some things at the end of last season that alarmed me. Bury away especially. The first half was utterly abject in such a vital game. The team weren't up for it at all. And how many times have we seen that since this season? But so far, we've kept our heads above water. Just. Now we need to swim away from this danger. I do support the managers more than most simply because of the :censored: sandwich our leader feeds him. But being 12mths into the job, having such constraints against him or the stability at all costs arguments can't wash if a manager stinks out the place. LJ hasn't so far. But there's a smell in the wardrobe brewing. He came in at this point last season with a similar job to do...back then though, he had the fresh air of new manager syndrome and the gift of the gabb. This time, it's a very different scenario and it will make or break him. If he succeeds, he will learn a hell of a lot. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that happens.

Get back to your own site!

I'm sticking with and fully behind our manager what ever happens, Give the guy a few years to prove what he can do rather than throw it all in at the first sign of difficulty.

Latics aren't blessed with an open cheque book and Lee Johnson's running the side on fresh air in reality with only the Diehard fans cash bolstering the coffers at Home games.

A win at Crewe would be the perfect medicine and should that happen I can't see us going down, Stick with him and KTF

Get back to your own site!

Haha...I even mentioned your name the other day on there! Saying it was a shame you weren't about so we could have last Mays discussion about Wes and Smith! Seems I was right after all...as a central pairing, not good enough! Not even close to it.

Haha...I even mentioned your name the other day on there! Saying it was a shame you weren't about so we could have last Mays discussion about Wes and Smith! Seems I was right after all...as a central pairing, not good enough! Not even close to it.

Our discussion was that you said that they were not a good enough pairing and I replied that I thought Smith was excellent but needed pairing with someone more attacking than Wes. You never quite quoted me correctly as you seemed to think that in later discussions I had defended Wes, never in a month of Sundays, as some of the Wes 'lovers' on here will testify.

Smith I did rate and always have rated but he is held back by not having a mobile attacking midfielder with him.

Mind you on Tuesday night Smith was shocking, so maybe you were right after all! KTF & Vote for LJ!

I'm sticking with and fully behind our manager what ever happens, Give the guy a few years to prove what he can do rather than throw it all in at the first sign of difficulty.

Latics aren't blessed with an open cheque book and Lee Johnson's running the side on fresh air in reality with only the Diehard fans cash bolstering the coffers at Home games.

I agree with the first part but you can't sign and use 40 players with "fresh air".

I imagine he wouldn't want you making excuses for him.