Gunnar Halle's miss v Southampton

I was just watching one of those '20 years of the Premier league' fillers on Fox and it showed highlights of the Latics-Saints 'Great Escape' match. I thought that match would live in my memory forever, but I had forgotten one thing - Gunnar Halle's unbelievable miss after being set up by Ian Marshall. Would've made it 5-1, home and dry....And what was going on with the BP pitch that season?!

Also, watching that program made me realise (yet again) how we missed the boat. Think of what happened in the two years after we went down. Jurgen Klinsmann...Euro 96 and the 'celebrification' of football....Beckham arrives...Sky TV money explosion...we well and truly blew it, didn't we.

Nah, we didn't miss it. Imagine if things would have gone 'right' we would no doubt be playing in a four sided stadium with bigger crowds but we wouldn't have away days like tomorrow at Crewe where the atmosphere will be rocking!!! We would just have fans that still moan at everything but just on a bigger scale!

I was just watching one of those '20 years of the Premier league' fillers on Fox and it showed highlights of the Latics-Saints 'Great Escape' match. I thought that match would live in my memory forever, but I had forgotten one thing - Gunnar Halle's unbelievable miss after being set up by Ian Marshall. Would've made it 5-1, home and dry....And what was going on with the BP pitch that season?!

Also, watching that program made me realise (yet again) how we missed the boat. Think of what happened in the two years after we went down. Jurgen Klinsmann...Euro 96 and the 'celebrification' of football....Beckham arrives...Sky TV money explosion...we well and truly blew it, didn't we.

We struggled to maintain a decent pitch for a few years after being forced to rip out the AstroTurf.

Imagine if things would have gone 'right' we would no doubt be playing in a four sided stadium with bigger crowds but we wouldn't have away days like tomorrow at Crewe where the atmosphere will be rocking!!!

Yeah! God, can you imagine how dreadful that would be?!

Not really. Look at Bradford and Barnsley.

I'm glad we were part of the last season of top flight football as we used to know & love it.

Sounds surreal now that we bought a Norwegian International with over 40 caps to replace the greatest full back of the last quarter of a century.

My kids claim none of this actually happened , and is just fables from the past.

Have you explained to them we were so good that even England getting to a World Cup semi final seemed a bit "meh" (as they'd say) to us at the time?