The shitstorm

What really pisses me off about oldham and teams in general is going in the corner. There was still 10 minutes to play plus added time and we where doing it. It gets you about 10 seconds before the ref blows for a free kick against you. It's just utter pointless, we should have been going for another goal to kill them off

To be fair, I don't think we were skilled enough to decide to go into the corner. We just sort of ended up there.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This result or rather the way it happened has probably killed us. Had we gone behind and managed a draw the momentum and feeling in the camp would be so different. Draws at Tranmere and Crewe in what looks increasingly like an otherwise pointless month. Two games we could have should have won. Crawley an improving team with Leyton Orient away and Brentford at home. 2014 has not been a good year so I can do without the prospect of league 2 but here it comes....

I had assumed they were going to use the new stand to put up season ticket prices. I wonder what they will do now

Edited by Hands on

First and foremost, the game yesterday was of a standard that I would expect to see in the non-league, between two technically poor and confidence-drained football sides. It was dire, barring a twenty-minute period where we scored our goal, dominated and should have scored two more. It was lethargic, nervous and there was zero motivation.

From Oldham's perspective, the final two words of the last sentence are key. Zero motivation. We came out and within five minutes we knew what we was about to see. Take Rotherham on Tuesday night. Steve Evans, despite his rightful reputation, motivates his players and it showed. I don't think Johnson has demonstrated that ability - yet.

I thought we were comfortable. Crewe barely threatened and are certainly in their position until the final day of the season. Whilst we lacked any of the positive mental attributes that makes a side top-six quality, we had the superior ability. This is not saying much, mind.

Scrappy, disjoined, lazy, sloppy and on the whole somewhat clueless. It sounds bad and it is bad. However, we had the ability to pick a certain pass which allowed the players to create the chances. As I say, we had the one and only dominant spell in the entire game and we failed to take the other chances.

Worrying? Certainly. Do I think we're doomed? No. I think we will - yet again - scrap, kick and ultimately limp over the line.

A few points I've spotted in this thread though. Firstly, Lee Johnson's preferred style of football. Well, we know it is positive. We know he wants to play an attractive, attacking style. Apparently, because we are no longer playing in such a way Johnson is a traitor to his principles. Then again, we have seen in the last 8-10 years both Sheridan and Dickov attempt to instil the philosophy and betray it the season(s) wore on. I'd like to think come the start of next season, we will, again, see Latics play the style of football we were during the initial third of this season. Then again, once it was lost with Sheridan and Dickov, it never returned.

Secondly, the substitute issue. In hindsight, yes, Johnson should have made changes. To me, it showed nerves. He did not want to alter anything in the sheer hope that we would see of Crewe and walk away with a 1-0 win. He is worried, so despite what he has said to the press, we know he does not genuinely mean it. It is called man-management through the media. It is classic.

I'm very much pro-Johnson. Those that aren't, never will. They will never support Johnson (barring a 17-match winning run, a sensational run to the semi-finals of the FA Cup and winning League One by a record margin). Those that don't support this manager are the ones calling for the heads of every manager we've had over the last 20 years. They will continue to do so until this club falls into the non-league and they refuse to attend matches. It is knee-jerk and quite frankly wrong.

knee jerk ? go give your head a wobble the reality is league 2 football a lot of johnsons decisions could be called knee jerk why does this have to be about the fans, its the club in a mess not the support.

Perhaps you should come back reality?

How can you justify slating a manager and be content with his sacking - presumably this is what you want - after barely a year in charge? He kept the club up last season, do not forget. Does that not merit an ounce of respect if not you loyally?

I like to view the club as a whole, which includes the support-base. The support is superb as far as I'm concerned. There is a slight section, though, which depresses the mood. It has unrealistic expectations, it demands far too much too soon.

Perhaps you should come back reality?

How can you justify slating a manager and be content with his sacking - presumably this is what you want - after barely a year in charge? He kept the club up last season, do not forget. Does that not merit an ounce of respect if not you loyally?

I like to view the club as a whole, which includes the support-base. The support is superb as far as I'm concerned. There is a slight section, though, which depresses the mood. It has unrealistic expectations, it demands far too much too soon.

It could be argued philly put in the hard work to keep us up last season but are you honestly telling me LJ should be exempt from critisism cos we stayed up last season ? the bloke is taking us down playing the worst football i have seen for years, blame the ref the fans the ballboys the pitch the lack of budget all you want but the man I blame is the manager, if you think he is doing a good job thats your opinion but wanting league 1 football isnt too much of an ask is it ?

We should have definitely seen out the game yesterday, no doubt about it. But it's this lack of killer instinct could well be our main downfall this season. It'll cost us, we're too nice and it's those sort of matches that make the difference in staying up and going down.

Again, a moment of genius by Harkins got us the edge we needed. It's the stark truth that without him we'd be already relegated more or less. And that is an eye-opener.

I'm not demanding the head of LJ on a spike outside the ground though. It'll just lead to more misery. Even if we went down I'd give LJ the chance to get us back up. But the tippy-tappy bull:censored: philosphy needs to harden. It's worse to watch than Ronnie Moore's hoof-it philosphy which, like it or not got us results despite being awful to watch.

I don't, but it's quite plausible considering he said it.

And it's also quite plausible he doesn't believe that because managers say :censored: they don't mean to the media all the time. It's a debate over nothing, a reason to get angry at a manager for no reason at all.

And it's also quite plausible he doesn't believe that because managers say :censored: they don't mean to the media all the time. It's a debate over nothing, a reason to get angry at a manager for no reason at all.

What managers constitute as excellent doesn't always equate to spectators' perception.

Until 90+3 minutes we executed the perfect away performance. They hadn't troubled our keeper and, by hook or by crook, we had plenty of chances ourselves.

It wasn't vintage yesterday, it was dire to watch as a spectacle and our passing was abysmal but in our situation it doesn't matter how you pick up the points.

Therefore I think it's totally valid for LJ to say we were excellent until their goal. They were following an effective gameplan.

What happened? Or was it just the general negativity about the place at the moment?

I've seen latics fans fight each other, I've seen latics fans have slanging matches. I've seen latics up and down the country for years.

Yesterday was without doubt the most toxic away game I've been to. It might be because the people around me had had a skinful before the game but the sheer bad language, the jibes at each other and the players, and the fans restraining their friends from smacking a fellow latics fan was shocking.

Like I say, pay your money and have a go but christ, draw a line.

It's only football.

Yesterday was without doubt the most toxic away game I've been to. It might be because the people around me had had a skinful before the game but the sheer bad language, the jibes at each other and the players, and the fans restraining their friends from smacking a fellow latics fan was shocking.

It wasnt great near me, but not THAT bad. No Barnsley away under Moore.

great where I was we sang our hearts out for 90 minutes didnt see or experiance the toxic atmosphere, if thats the case its shocking I dont like the manager but its still my team and it will be when this managers gone, thought we got behind the boys but can only vouch for where I was sat.