European Election 2014

Matt

I have pondered the desire of many Scots to break free from the subsidies of England to subjugate themselves to Germany and the rest of Europe.

Independence I get. The idea of then immediately rejoining political union elsewhere while having a currency union with the country you no longer wish to be part of baffles me

This is about anti English sentiment, for hundreds of years people in prominence have told the masses about the bad people south of the border. Some believe it, and in these enlightened days you can finally get to vote on it. If this is what they want then so be it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1989 I went for a holiday with my family in Yugoslavia. A year later it was in a state of war as political parties and their supporters wanted to protect their own which resulted in former friends and neighbours murdering each other because of small differences.

There was so much confusion in the region, take the war within a war for instance. The military arm of the right wing, Christian political party HDC - the HOS/HVO - had units operating in the Bosnian Lasva region that burned Muslims in their homes. Boban died before he was tried for these war crimes, they got Kordic though.

Interesting result. I'm not sure the Lib Dems will be a viable party after the election. Can Labour afford still to attack Euro-scepticism when it's majority view and with Ukip starting to take chunks in their urban heartlands?

Interesting result. I'm not sure the Lib Dems will be a viable party after the election. Can Labour afford still to attack Euro-scepticism when it's majority view and with Ukip starting to take chunks in their urban heartlands?

Hardly, UKIP (as did all parties) got tiny percentages of the electorate. The euro-scepticism is loud but hardly the majority view. The majority view is indifference or status quo.

Hardly, UKIP (as did all parties) got tiny percentages of the electorate. The euro-scepticism is loud but hardly the majority view. The majority view is indifference or status quo.

I seriously doubt many people are in favour of the EU as it is, never mind ever closer union

It's time to start looking up general election odds. Lib Dems to finish with fewer than 10 seats could be a winner. Hung parliament with Greens, DUP and nationalists holding the balance of power (they're all closer to Labour than to Tories)?

Politics in this country is fundamentally unstable, so betting on anything is probably dumb. It's almost as if Britain's political leadership has no clue what's happening. Pissing about banning books while long-standing beneficial constitutional settlements fall to pieces.

It's time to start looking up general election odds. Lib Dems to finish with fewer than 10 seats could be a winner. Hung parliament with Greens, DUP and nationalists holding the balance of power (they're all closer to Labour than to Tories)?

Politics in this country is fundamentally unstable, so betting on anything is probably dumb. It's almost as if Britain's political leadership has no clue what's happening. Pissing about banning books while long-standing beneficial constitutional settlements fall to pieces.

10 might be pushing it, but 15 could be a winner. When's the last time the leader of one of the big 3 political parties lost their seat at a General Election, as Clegg is looking quite likely, especially after he sold the students down the river.

What's that N. Irish party that has an agreement with the Tories, is it the UUP?

I'm not sure the Greens are going to keep their seat, but I'd agree that depending on how the independence vote goes in Scotland, the Nationalist parties may have all the cards, as 10 seats combined across Wales and Scotland looks feasible. What's the rule about Sinn Fein, do they count in terms of a majority or not?

Continued high polls for Tories and UKIP persuades the Scots they want out. 70 fewer lefty MPs to worry about and an unstopable anti EU rump in England. Goodbye to Edinburgh and Brussels and a big tax cut all in one move.

Sorry, I just came.