Plastic Pitch Dates

Hi, I'm trying to remember dates and matches when we had the plastic pitch. Can anyone help please? I've Googled but it's not precise enough. When and against who were the first and last games on the pitch?

I'm sure the last game was a friendly against Man City sometime in 1991, but I can't remember the first game at all.

Can anyone help on this please? Thanks.

I believe the first match was v Barnsley on Aug 25 1987

And the last ? Roger Palmers testimonial v Man City on 6 May 1991

edit: p.s. We won the Barnsley game 2. 0 (first defeat was v Derby in the Full Members Cup on Sept 16, 0. 1)

Edited by LaticsPete

Aye, i remember that Barnsley match although it was 86 not 87, it was like a desert that night with sand flying everywhere.

Does anyone rememember Ron Futcher landing on the advertising post and snapping it in two?.

Aye, i remember that Barnsley match although it was 86 not 87, it was like a desert that night with sand flying everywhere.

Does anyone rememember Ron Futcher landing on the advertising post and snapping it in two?.

Yes of course getting my 6s and 7s mixed up !

I remember Ron Futcher when he played for Luton nearly snapping John Platt in two

Hi, I'm trying to remember dates and matches when we had the plastic pitch. Can anyone help please? I've Googled but it's not precise enough. When and against who were the first and last games on the pitch?

I'm sure the last game was a friendly against Man City sometime in 1991, but I can't remember the first game at all.

Can anyone help on this please? Thanks.

Google, or similar search engines will tell you everything you need to know. Edited by deyres42

didnt it absolutely bounce down before or during that game seem to remember it doing typical oldham summer all the seasons in one day

First game was a 2-0 win v Barnsley August 25th 1986

Last competitive game v Sheffield Wednesday W3-2 11th May 1991

Last ever game

Monday May 13th 1991 Roger Palmer's Testimonial W3-2 v Man City (Marshall, Jobson and Palmer)

I think we got it already mate. :smoking:

We were allowed a delay until Monday for the first game against Barnsley.

It rained non stop and the pitch was orange as the sand had not bedded down.

And yes , I do recollect Ron Futcher's collision .....ow!

Mind , I also recollect playing on the pitch and being wiped out running down the wing.

My knees were a mass of blood.

The scabbed over and burnt for 3 days .....before exploding in a torrent of puss.

I never put myself in a situation where I would ever get tackled again like that.

We were allowed a delay until Monday for the first game against Barnsley.

It rained non stop and the pitch was orange as the sand had not bedded down.

And yes , I do recollect Ron Futcher's collision .....ow!

Mind , I also recollect playing on the pitch and being wiped out running down the wing.

My knees were a mass of blood.

The scabbed over and burnt for 3 days .....before exploding in a torrent of puss.

I never put myself in a situation where I would ever get tackled again like that.

Played on it not long after it had been laid. Scored twice and skied a penalty at the chaddy end for what would have been me hat trick... :ohno:

I believe the first match was v Barnsley on Aug 25 1987

And the last ? Roger Palmers testimonial v Man City on 6 May 1991

edit: p.s. We won the Barnsley game 2. 0 (first defeat was v Derby in the Full Members Cup on Sept 16, 0. 1)

I was mascot for the derby game! Still remember it like it was yesterday.!