Seven or eight to come in?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep I agree, im usually against selling off our players but if we could get 350k for a lad we picked up for nothing then its a shrewd bit of business, lets just get it done early though so we have plenty of time to replace him

yep I agree, im usually against selling off our players but if we could get 350k for a lad we picked up for nothing then its a shrewd bit of business, lets just get it done early though so we have plenty of time to replace him

We paid for JCH.

appreciate we need to sell to survive, but maybe 1 a season for a decent fee

To lose both Smith and JCH just punctures a hole in all that is positive at the moment

It also raises the spectre of 'why bother'?

Why should LJ spend time scouting players, young ones at that in JCH and slowly get a good group together for them to be sold on within 1 season??

If we sell and sell and sell, we will only go one way

All those thinking of a season ticket/attending more games will see our best 2 players BOTH being sold and it just goes to service their cynical and negative opinions on Latics as a club and vindicates the saying 'and they wonder why fans don't turn up?'

And it's hard to argue otherwise

Smith I can accept as i doubt he will sign another contract, but JCH is 19 and has had ONE season with us!!

I hope to god he turns round and says he want's to stay and play games/repay LJ

Lets say we get £400k for Smith and £300k for JCH - will LJ be allowed 3-400k of that to go and buy a few players and adequately replace these 2?

Likely answer is NO and so the cycle continues

I mean Baxter, Tarky, Smith, JCH all in the space of 10 months + a lucrative cup run 2 seasons running?

There is a balance to be had between selling and reinvesting/being ambitious and we appear to have none of the latter when it comes to the team, assuming they are sold.

Maybe our views as fans are not helped by us not knowing the ins and outs of transfer, agents and what actually goes on; maybe then would we be able to re-evaluate and appreciate reasons why sales are done, be it financial or other reasons in some cases.

However, we only ever have news articles and rumours to go off so only ever hear about the sale side and just see it as 'there we are, another one sold'

Please prove me wrong Latics!

2 of our best players have left on frees. JCH isnt in our top 5 best players. He has potential, that is it. And if we got offered 400k would it be worth the risk of rejecting it to see if he can manage to hit more than 7 goals next season?

2 of our best players have left on frees. JCH isnt in our top 5 best players. He has potential, that is it. And if we got offered 400k would it be worth the risk of rejecting it to see if he can manage to hit more than 7 goals next season?

Of the current strike force who would you expect to score the most goals next season?

How about just hanging on to our better talents and if we're going to cash in, cash in next summer? I've not even checked, is he even contracted past next summer?

I don't disagree with that principle but with Clarke-Harris it sounds as though there's a chance to get decent money for a kid who's done nothing in the game yet and may never do so.

If selling him helps fund a couple of signings that we otherwise couldn't make then it's a no brainer for me.

3 players we sold when they had potential spencer philliskirk and trotman all were a failure at there respected clubs and showed up to be very good business for toldham, and yet we reportedly have turned down bids for mellor and have now lost out cause he didnt live up to his potential.

If someone signs clarke harris he still needs a lot of time and work, time most clubs dont have so i fear that potential will fall by the wayside, selling now may prove to be a good bit of business again

How about just hanging on to our better talents and if we're going to cash in, cash in next summer? I've not even checked, is he even contracted past next summer?

We did that with Scott McNiven and Andrew Holt when they were linked with Celtic and Liverpool. In the end, McNiven went to Oxford on a free (I think), and we got 150k for Holt from Hull.

It's a big risk keeping hold of him if teams are looking keen to bid. He's only a four goal season away from us losing the possibility of cashing in...

Looking at how much he's progressed so far, I'd say it's more likely he gets better from here. Think it would be worth the risk to keep hold and see how he does next season, especially as he'd still have a year left on his contract after that.

Better players on 2 year deals which we cash in on after a year or lesser players on one year deals who leave after a year, for better or worse, meaning we have to find another never will be for the next 12 months?

The choice is yours.

Option 3 isn't viable yet but may well be in a year or two if we can carry on doing this.

Looking at how much he's progressed so far, I'd say it's more likely he gets better from here. Think it would be worth the risk to keep hold and see how he does next season, especially as he'd still have a year left on his contract after that.

A club of our size, and with our finances, can't afford to take the risk...

Has he progressed that much?

I think he has, yes.

He's cut out the aimless falling over, his running off the ball has improved, he was snatching at chances far less towards the end of the season, his fitness and stamina improved and for me, the most import of them all, his all round football game was clearly developing; as he brought a new awareness into his game.

Very early days for him - he's young still and, even with the above developing, he's still raw. But - I do think he has shown glimmers of what could be. He has tremendous potential, it's up to him to realise it.

A club of our size, and with our finances, can't afford to take the risk...

A club of our size which might have a FA Cup match say away at Mansfield with the next round being away, say at Liverpool, which a club our size then loses because it has sold 2 of its better players in the close season, meaning perhaps all that is left is the annual battle against relegation?