James Wesolowski

Haha, I did say that Roger Ritchie, it's just that none of you lot chose to believe me! And yes. Yes I am O4U... Much similar to some Oldham fans when I first suggested the rumour! But hey, at least your PlayerShare is £60 better off!

Sidney Schmelz next?

:grin:

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith was frustrating and brilliant in equal measures. He was far too cautious at times, leading him to make the wrong pass or the negative move, rather than being positive and finding the man up front or on the wing. As you say though, he kept the team ticking over.

Wes was the grafter in the midfield, something we can all appreciate - Would have loved to have kept him, but there's many of them about, probably on cheaper wages too.

There's a clear difference but the partnership this season was key to our success in some games, but I believe that it was also key to our downfall in others. Both players reluctance to move forward and kick on at times drew us into a deeper style of player (similar to what we had experienced the season before under Dickov) - something which probably cost us on a few occasions. There needs to be a clear emphasis on our play this coming season, whilst it's imperative that we defend well, it's hard to get anything more than a draw or a 1-0 win whilst both your central midfield players are sitting in the holding position, waiting for the wingers to have an impact.

Losing Wes has indeed been a blow, but not something that should massively affect us this coming season. Losing Smith as well would be more devastating or would be harder to replace, especially for the low(ish) money that he will be on - you can't pick up players of Smith's quality easily.

I think it's a case of you don't know what you've got until it's gone with Smith, many people underestimate his abilities and what he does for the team but we'd be hurt if he went, especially having to find two quality central midfield players, instead of simply finding a partner for Smith.

This!

I'm not saying Smith is perfect by any stretch of the imagination, he is still a work in progress but if we want out of this league after all this time we need more than Wes was able to provide.

All the judges on here spouting that there's better players available, brilliant, let's have a bit of fun and hear some names.

While we're at I'll give you 20 midfielders who are better than Yaya Smith.

Why don't you just tell me why Wes is better than Smith? I bet you can't do that

David Prutton - Coventry

Neil Kilkenny - Bristol City/Preston

Chris Lines - Port Vale

Nicky Wroe - Preston

Brian Howard - Birmingham

Brian Stock - Burnley

Just a few names - not better than Smith as deyres42 says, but possible Wes replacements.

Some good ones there, only Wroe a realistic one though I'd say.

Why don't you just tell me why Wes is better than Smith? I bet you can't do that

Smith is the better player, obviously, in terms of passing the ball and probably at keepy uppys but Wes was the more consistent performer over the course of last season, that's why he won all the player of the year awards and a lot of the man of the match polls on here.

That wasn't because Oldham fans love a grafter, it was because he was the best/most effective player in more games than any other player.

Brian Stock is a realistic target, be a good signing

Only problem with that one is Latics don't tend to take the risk on older players with more than a 1 year contract.

A player like Stock might want longer than a 1 year deal.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Smith is the better player, obviously, in terms of passing the ball and probably at keepy uppys but Wes was the more consistent performer over the course of last season, that's why he won all the player of the year awards and a lot of the man of the match polls on here.

That wasn't because Oldham fans love a grafter, it was because he was the best/most effective player in more games than any other player.

OK

Effective? How? Seriously please explain

He had a good season and was consistant but other than work rate how was he most effective.

Edited by palmer1

All the judges on here spouting that there's better players available, brilliant, let's have a bit of fun and hear some names.

While we're at I'll give you 20 midfielders who are better than Yaya Smith.

Who on here had heard of Korey Smith before he signed on loan for us?

There are plenty of very good players out there, even though we don't necessarily know their names.

OK

Effective? How? Seriously please explain

He had a good season and was consistant but other than work rate how was he most effective.

Haha, it's pointless having the debate with you really, if you don't think Wes was our best performer last season then I would suggest you're in a very small minority.

Like it or not your mate Korey went missing between January-March, couldn't pass the ball to a teammate, now you can say he was injured or whatever but if he was that hampered then he wouldn't have been playing.

Who on here had heard of Korey Smith before he signed on loan for us?

There are plenty of very good players out there, even though we don't necessarily know their names.

I'd certainly heard of him, imagine plenty of others would have to.

Your last paragraph sums it up really.

can we have a list of smiths acheivements from last season start where you want, I want to over 40 games last season and he was the stand out player in one game, if you hold him in such high regard his qualities should be obvious to any fan surely ? I will tell you one thing the the team carried him in plenty of games ive never known a player turn a shot down so much in 30 years at bp and I honestly cannot remember one defence splitting pass or assist from his holding midfield role.

can we have a list of smiths acheivements from last season start where you want, I want to over 40 games last season and he was the stand out player in one game, if you hold him in such high regard his qualities should be obvious to any fan surely ? I will tell you one thing the the team carried him in plenty of games ive never known a player turn a shot down so much in 30 years at bp and I honestly cannot remember one defence splitting pass or assist from his holding midfield role.

They all achieved a 15th place finish in League One.

That's the only statistic needed to prove that we weren't good enough.

Agree maybe a new leader is needed ? Lockwood or Rachubka spring to mind.

With or without the captains armband, Lockwood will act as a leader on and off the field anyway. Exactly the experience that could pull us further up the table next season.

Once we've actually got a squad together anyway.

Haha, it's pointless having the debate with you really, if you don't think Wes was our best performer last season then I would suggest you're in a very small minority.

Like it or not your mate Korey went missing between January-March, couldn't pass the ball to a teammate, now you can say he was injured or whatever but if he was that hampered then he wouldn't have been playing.

I didn't say that he wasnt our player of the season last year did I? I said he had a good season and was consistent didn't I?

But well done to avoid my question.

Other than work rate how is he effective?

Smith couldnt pass to a team mate could he not? Did Wes do all that then because in 3, 4 seasonseasons he couldn't pass water.

Smith was injured as he had surgery but OK, yes if it was so terrible he wouldn't have played.Just goes to show how much the management think of him. Did they feel the same about Wes who was apparently offered peanuts to stay? No? You must be right then

Edited by palmer1

would suspect LJ fancies smith to wes as he brought him in and made him captain, wes started last season on the bench so its no suprise really that he would offload wes and see him as the problem in the middle of the park, thats why he made no real effort to keep him, I hope smith steps up this season because ive seen little to convince let alone as a skipper and probably top earner.

I didn't say that he wasnt our player of the season last year did I? I said he had a good season and was consistent didn't I?

But well done to avoid my question.

Other than work rate how is he effective?

Smith couldnt pass to a team mate could he not? Did Wes do all that then because in 3, 4 seasonseasons he couldn't pass water.

Smith was injured as he had surgery but OK, yes if it was so terrible he wouldn't have played.Just goes to show how much the management think of him. Did they feel the same about Wes who was apparently offered peanuts to stay? No? You must be right then

You've lost me a bit then to be honest, don't know what point you are trying to make.

For me, and you might not agree, Wes's job in the team, and one that he did well for the most part, is to get around the pitch, breaking play up and giving the ball to a teammate - he's certainly not a guy who's going to be pinging long range passes around and he would look silly if he did.

I get the impression, and feel free to shoot me down, that you think the game is purely about technical ability, which is blinkered thinking IMO.

Its nothing to do with who bought who.

He wouldn't get rid of a player if he was good enough for how he wants to play just because he didn't buy him. He wants more than just work rate and we need more than just work rate to get out of this league.