James Wesolowski

I don't believe that for a second.

What you are basically suggesting by implication is that Wes is irreplaceable (ability wise) for the wage he was offered / valued at by the club.

He's a decent player, but he's not as good as you are saying.

Add that to the Tweet by Matt Chambers, and the four scenarios I suggested are far more likely.

Wouldn't go that far, certainly don't think he's irreplaceable but of all the out of contract players he'd have been the one I'd have gone the extra yard to keep, solid performer, plays most of the games, knows the club and seemed happy to be here.

That tweet means nothing really, club is hardly going to come out and say we couldn't compete with what Shrewsbury were offering.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would people go the extra mile to keep someone who was not that good a footballer?

Don't get me wrong he works hard but he should work hard shouldn't he?

He isnt a great passer of the ball, he doesn't make a team tick and doesn't have many assists. He scored a couple this year, more than ever but you wouldnt call him a goal scoring midfielder would you?

Oldham fans like a grafter but 3 relegation battles on the run says he is not good enough for what we want.He certainly isnt too good for us. Obviously no offers from the Championship or League 1 or he would have gone.

Nobody can tell me there are not at least 10 players out there who could do what Wes can do? We need that little extra though don't we?

I will not lose sleep over an average league 1 player dropping down a level. I doubt LJ is bothered either. He would have been sufficient but I'm sick of lower league 1 football and obviously so is Wes.

I fookin hope Shrewsbury lose in the play offs though.

Edited by palmer1

I'd have liked Wes to stay. I think he's a good player. But ultimately I don't give that much of a :censored: that he's gone, which I'd be saying about any member of the squad. Let's face it, they're all replaceable.

If he had a Wellens or a Kilkenny alongside him what he does would be invaluable.

But we don't and if we want to threaten to get promoted next season we need a midfielder who has a bit more to his game.

The noises that are being made suggest were getting one.......

Let's see....

If he had a Wellens or a Kilkenny alongside him what he does would be invaluable.

But we don't and if we want to threaten to get promoted next season we need a midfielder who has a bit more to his game.

The noises that are being made suggest were getting one.......

Let's see....

I have seen a rumour that we're in talks with Kilkenny, who is without a club I think.

Purely an unvalidated rumour and I doubt we could afford the wages. He's the model of midfielder I would like though.

Edited by NewBlue

Wouldn't go that far, certainly don't think he's irreplaceable but of all the out of contract players he'd have been the one I'd have gone the extra yard to keep, solid performer, plays most of the games, knows the club and seemed happy to be here.

That tweet means nothing really, club is hardly going to come out and say we couldn't compete with what Shrewsbury were offering.

But do you seriously think that Shrewsbury offered him a wage that we couldn't match? Would matching his terms have made him our highest paid player?

If it had been Smith renewing his contract or if Worrall wants to sign, do you not think we would offer more?

It ultimately comes down to value for money. The club has effectively stated this as the reason and I completely believe them for all the reasons that I have argued.

jonathan greening for a year? 35 but wants another year playing, from Manchester so would know the area and by all accounts from a Forest fan at work he played well still last season when he got a chance and would have kept him on for another year.

Won't run but will pick a pass like a shez type,

Would still love Harkins back though with the right players around him doing the running

Wes was good but not great ala Wellens/K Smith (more ability) - gone for the money so that makes things clear, lack of ambition

Not arsed, he doesn't want to stay so why let it bother us as fans?

If that's the case Wes, why didn't you just be honest and say at the end of season awards 'look, i'd like to stay but i'm going to be giving things some thought about my next move and offers which may arise and then make a decision as to where I want to be'

Rather than 'i want to stay, it's simply a case of sorting things out and signing'??

Anyway, next........................

P.S. Sell Smith AND JCH, then it really will be time to question why we bother and what is the point of the new stand when we're not going to have some ambition where it really matters?? - on the pitch drives those corporate boxes, not vice versa...................

I have seen a rumour that we're in talks with Kilkenny, who is without a club I think.

Purely an unvalidated rumour and I doubt we could afford the wages. He's the model of midfielder I would like though.

I think he was at Bristol City at the same time as our manager.

Rumour might have some weight if he rated / got along with him.

I wanted him to stay, however, I don't think the manager did.

Rewind a year and we all just assumed he was a goner.

I reckon LJ had no intention of using him much last season but realised he was useful & reliable after it dawned on him that his grand attacking plan wasn't going to come off right away.

He's the type of player that will always ensure we don't go down but he'll also ensure we don't go up either.

Two Korey Smith types might allow one of the Korey Smith types to get forward a bit.

Looking back at the January Meet the Manager thread, it's obvious that Grounds and Wesolowski wouldn't be staying regardless if the manager wanted them to or not.

Whether that's true and Corney is cackling all the way to the bank with the saving in wages, if Weso's replacement is anything like Grounds' is then I'd be pretty happy.

Clubs at 'any' level very rarely need to worry about how to keep an outstanding out of contract player.

Outstanding players are usually sold on well before becoming out of contract for obvious reasons.

Wes was not outstanding - he was a grafter - and fans at our level appreciate grafters, hence his player of the year award.

It appears that Wes's best offer has come from a L2 club. That is the industries judgment for an available player.

LJ is trying to move on after his first full season in management and will be judged on how he attempts to do better.

Someone has pointed out that it is "Winchester and Smith at CM, as it stands". As it stands there is no grass on the pitch - can't we wait till August before we go overboard on how a experienced grafter is going to be replaced.

Edited by mikeroyboy