James Wesolowski

exactly my thinking, very similar to the croft situation, whilst LJ said he'd like to keep wes he's never made a big song and dance over him, the more you think about it the more you realise johnson has been preparing for this all along.

Think you giving Johnson far too much credit there...

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually defend players in lower league moving for more money in a short career but this is mind boggling

Obviously no respect for his career in any way

Playing in front of 4000 fans with us or 4000 somewhere else for 500 quid a week more, hardly mind boggling.

Bottom line is that LJ either:

1) believes we can sign someone of better ability for the wage Wes was requesting

2) believes we can sign someone of similar ability for the wage Wes turned down

3) believes we can sign someone of similar ability for the wage Wes was requesting, but suits our playing style more

4) believes we can sign someone with at least comparable ability (at either wage), who is fairly young and is likely to be a salable asset over the coming years

Time will tell if he's correct

Bottom line is that LJ either:

1) believes we can sign someone of better ability for the wage Wes was requesting

2) believes we can sign someone of similar ability for the wage Wes turned down

3) believes we can sign someone of similar ability for the wage Wes was requesting, but suits our playing style more

4) believes we can sign someone with at least comparable ability (at either wage), who is fairly young and is likely to be a salable asset over the coming years

Time will tell if he's correct

Or

5) Would loved to have kept him but was told that the funds wouldn't be available to do so so get out there and put a positive spin on it?

It won't be a lack of ambition on Wes part if Shrewsbury get promotion next season and spend again to challenge in League 1, I get the impression that's what there going to do, great signing for Shrews but not a major loss for us, I just hope we hold onto Korey now, I would be pretty annoyed if we offloaded both Wes and Smith, Wes would of been on a decent wage here so hopefully it frees up a bit a extra cash to go for a more attack minded midfielder !

Could this be Wes is way of saying to Us and Other League one clubs offer us the money? sure it wss Prozac and it was mentioned at one of the meet the managers about Wes wanting some bonus after the FA cup tie with Forest. I hope he does not go to Shrews and like Fent mentioned earlier could see him at another league one side.

Wes had a bonus clause written into his contract at the start of that season. By all accounts £10k if we reached the 4th round of the FA Cup.

We beat Forest, Wes collected what his contract entitled him to.

He was also suspended for the Forest game.

---

He's served us well. I'd have preferred him to stay but if we are to improve our middle two it makes sense to change something. He's already had one chunk of PlayerShare cash and dropping down a division suggests the money is more important to him than the level he plays at.

I've no idea what Shrewsbury's future plans are. It strikes me that there must be ambition in the club somewhere to convince him to drop a level. We move on.

Or

5) Would loved to have kept him but was told that the funds wouldn't be available to do so so get out there and put a positive spin on it?

I don't believe that for a second.

What you are basically suggesting by implication is that Wes is irreplaceable (ability wise) for the wage he was offered / valued at by the club.

He's a decent player, but he's not as good as you are saying.

Add that to the Tweet by Matt Chambers, and the four scenarios I suggested are far more likely.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Disappointed in this. Unlike a certain poster on here who smokes (!), I really rate Wes.

But, just as with Grounds; he's replaceable with some very decent recruitment. It's not a star International player we're talking of leaving us; its a very solid player for the level we find ourselves at who's left.

It needs some very careful planning, scouting and then ultimately clever convincing; but i believe it will be possible to find an equalily competent midfielder to fill Wes's place in the side. I'd be amazed if LJ and the club haven't been well on with this for a while now; as it's looked pretty certain that Wes would take another offer (though I fully expected that to be one from the A League)

If we get in a young lad a la :censored: or Adeyami, then i actually think we'll struggle and it will show all the more that we will be missing a very solid & consistent performer in Wes.

We need a bit of experience in their now IMO. If we can get a lad, say a 24 to 27 year old, who has 150+ games under his belt in, who can do a bit of box to box work for us; that's th aim i'd say.

Someone like Gary MacDonald was when he arrived here. That'd be nice.

Good luck to Wes though. He's clearly taken a deal that was the best one for him. At his age and in the career he's in, i can't blame him. I guess you can question the ambition by dropping; but, by the looks of it, he'll only be at that division for 1 of his 3 years at the club, so is it that much of a backwards step? Fair play. Disappointing to lose yet another player of the season at the end if their contract, but we shouldn't ever pay over the odds for a player; and we should never be held to ransom.

Wait now with baited breath to see who LJ is able to bring in...

Edited by slystallone

We obviously didn't match Shrews offer, but then again - neither did any other league one club.

It probably says more about Shrewsbury than ourselves.

I was going to say the same. If we had been 'outbid' surely a L1 club could have matched the Shrews offer and he would have gone there instead.