Colchester United v Oldham Athletic

May as well get it started now.

Decent performance in the final friendly against Huddersfield.

Dayton & Winchester impressive out wide and Dieng & Wilson looked very good at centre half.

I think just because we looked very solid at the back today is why I'd have Brian Wilson starting over Brown. There's good competition there though.

Jones & Kelly improved when we switched to a 2-man midfield.

Forte doesn't look ready for 90mins just yet, however he's dangerous, so would be a great option for the last half hour IMO.

I'd have Philliskirk in behind JCH helping link midfield to attack.

2efl4dh.png

Edited by sjk2008

May as well get it started now.

Decent performance in the final friendly against Huddersfield.

Dayton & Winchester impressive out wide and Dieng & Wilson looked very good at centre half.

I think just because we looked very solid at the back today is why I'd have Brian Wilson starting over Brown. There's good competition there though.

Jones & Kelly improved when we switched to a 2-man midfield.

Forte doesn't look ready for 90mins just yet, however he's dangerous, so would be a great option for the last half hour IMO.

I'd have Philliskirk in behind JCH helping link midfield to attack.

2efl4dh.png

IMO there's no way Philliskirk should start, he's still way off the pace and was weakly caught in possession which lead to the Huddersfield goal.

I'm also not sure if Jones is fit, which may mean a rejig in midfield.

IMO there's no way Philliskirk should start, he's still way off the pace and was weakly caught in possession which lead to the Huddersfield goal.

I'm also not sure if Jones is fit, which may mean a rejig in midfield.

Agree Philliskirk and Jones not ready yet, Jones gave up on tracking his runner and Philliskirk at fault for the goal leaving 2 men isolated and not doing enough to get back in, on the flip side defensively still very sound Dieng is a great player and I'd also like to say Dayton and Winchester are well worth their starting positions and cant be dropped after today Winchester looked very good today I hope he is given his chance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3i7xyb6lfb1zyf/LINEUP111406996837912.png Am I right in thinking this was what we switched to today? If so I'd start with this, I thought there was a good balance and we looked a good unit. Huddersfield (particularly Wells and Scannell who really impressed me) got in behind us a lot in the opening 30 mins, it just wasn't working.

The 4-1-4-1 didnt work.

It did work when it was switched to 4-4-2

I have a feeling though, 1st game of the season and away from home, that LJ will go with the 4-1-4-1 again.

With how effective the change was though, it does i suppose give him the option to change it.

The 4-1-4-1 didnt work.

It did work when it was switched to 4-4-2

I have a feeling though, 1st game of the season and away from home, that LJ will go with the 4-1-4-1 again.

With how effective the change was though, it does i suppose give him the option to change it.

That's why I think LJ will play Dieng in front of the back four, unfortunately with Winchester missing out.

If Elokobi doesn't sign, Winchester has to start in a 4-4-2.

Edited by BP1960

Definitely this.....reckon he will want to 'silence the home support' for the first 20 then hopefully change it

LJ played 4-1-4-1 in the successful away run last season and I don't think he will change it at Colchester.

However, today showed it must be changed to 4-4-2 at home.

we look very, very hard to beat.... if he can tinker with a few things up top and clarke harris carry on firing, we're onto something

until clarke harris gets sold for a pint of stella and a packet of crisps in January when we're 2nd in the league

I think Jones will be fine come Saturday. Dieng looked at extremely comfortable at the back so would rather keep him there alongside Wilson. I can understand the scepticism over Philliskirk being rushed back, so forte could be an option up top with him.

Mills at centre half... really?

Where did I say he was centre half?

I can't be arsed drawing the formation out beyond the line of four. I've given you four defenders. If you really want to play Mills at centre back you go for it.

I come from an era where a team sheet was laid out with goalkeeper, right back, left back etc. It's not wrong to write a team list out that way.

Edited by opinions4u