Should sportsmen be prosecuted for violent acts?

Yes, the second punch, or to use another example Roy Keane's tackle on Haaland. Big Dunc did a 3 month stretch for a headbutt, I think. Daniel Jones is lucky to get away with his attack on his teammate. What would be assault in the street is not always assault when it happens in a sporting contest but that doesn't mean that incidents happening in a sporting contest absolve them from being assault.

Got caught in traffic en route from BP to OT and missed the first few minutes if he does that on the street he's arrested. Coward...

But recriminations and facing the consequences of his actions are for another day, tonight I'm just getting :censored: faced celebrating the fact we're finally super league champions again and our losing run in the grand final is finally over!

Nothing to it (it is Rugby League, after all). It turns out that there is such a thing as being too keyed up, or wanting it too much.

Odd that, the Saints were comparing their (sounds like justifiably) unpopular manager for his usual downbeat team talk when the Wigan one did a Kevin Keegan vs Sweden job. Saints made a huge and I think borderline hit on a pie head about 20 seconds in and that bloke boiled over. They'd have pissed it with 13 men.

Yeah, if Flower had kept his cool they would have been walking away with the honours. I think the forearm hit by Hohaia and the first punch by Flower would have meant sin bin for the pair, however the second punch was correctly dealt with by the ref. I don't recall him bringing the captains together, probably thought against it being two minutes in - all 26 players' were so :censored:ing wired it was probably impossible to change the mood.

Should be jailed for being a thug 2nd punch could have blinded or killed him. Anyone who thinks that is acceptable wants to consider attitude to life and responsibility as pro sportsmen and role models. He followed threw a violent punch then continued. Rugby better than that being a tough player does not equal being a nutter.

This is the thing, rugby isn't better than that. That is pretty much rugby - alpha bull:censored:, I love RL but I can't see how you can coach lads in a collision sport without training them to switch off the meek and humble button. Don't forget Hohaia isn't exactly Mr. Innocent in all of this either - that clip doesn't tell the whole picture, okay he didn't deserve that second shot, but I'd have give him the first one. If Flowers gets an assault charge I dread to think where the sport will end up.

If the incident had stopped after the first retaliation then there's no issue - two alpha meatheads trying to intimidate each other and Hohaia must have known he couldn't throw an elbow without getting a slap in return. To then pin an unconscious bloke down and try to smash his eye socket in is a dick move and deserves jail time.

Hohaia himself is retaliating though I agree with a sin binning for the pair flower hits him late then lance seeks him out to retaliate. Flower bangs him out all ok as far as I'm concerned - both take ten minutes lads.

The punch on the deck though us 6 months in clink if it's outside yer bog standard nightclub on a Saturday night. Many of the clips conveniently miss out the initial off the ball hit from flower which Hohaia tries to even up before flower clocks him one then throws the cowards punch.

Edited by oafcprozac

Hohaia himself is retaliating though I agree with a sin binning for the pair flower hits him late then lance seeks him out to retaliate. Flower bangs him out all ok as far as I'm concerned - both take ten minutes lads.

The punch on the deck though us 6 months in clink if it's outside yer bog standard nightclub on a Saturday night. Many of the clips conveniently miss out the initial off the ball hit from flower which Hohaia tries to even up before flower clocks him one then throws the cowards punch.

If I'm Flower I give him the first one you are talking about, which looks more like a shove than anything. Hohaia is being slow to get back and blocking Flower in the process, knowing full well what he is doing, there's a technical term for that sort of snide behaviour in Union, it's called lazy running, not sure if it's the same in League.

Hohaia gives him one back and Flower retaliates.

The 2nd punch looked bad when I first saw it 'live' in real-time, when I realised that Hohaia is out for that one, is what makes it worse.

Interesting statement from St Helens following his 6 month ban. Possibly mindful of Terry Newton's mental disintegration after he got banned? (although that was obviously a very different scenario)

Newton is definitely a factor and rightly so. The RFL, Flower himself, Wigan and Saints have all issued massively conciliatory statements, all of which feature the good of the game. Can anyone imagine that happening in football? Think Evra / Suarez, other Suarez crises, Ferdinand / Terry and so on. You might get more serious violence in rugby league but the aftermath is more seemly.

I read it (albeit briefly at first) as being keen to keep it out of the courts by emphasising how much the clubs and everyone involved are in agreement and all over it. They all know it's a punchy sport after all. Thinking on the Newton thing maybe that was in their minds too.