And me. I was dead against it on Sunday but, the more people from outside have stuck their nose in, the more I'm coming round to the idea and getting defensive of our club.

That said, Barry Owen is still a tool...

The concept of someone giving up their own principles and feelings on a subject just because others have a point of view... Siege mentality as they call it... just seem utterly crazy to me....

I don't want Ched Evans to sign but if Nandos are pulling out well.... Sign him up!

WTF is that all about?

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we were Leeds, who revel in some sort of notoriety, I could understand signing the player.

But, we have prided ourselves on being a family club, of fans that follow the team home and away. S small friendly club.

Why has this all been thrown away so cheaply.

So what's the difference when we signed Hughes?

Ironically, if the team start to believe or, dare I say it, sympathise with Evans then a potential siege mentality could get us results on the pitch.

Same goes with the fans; everyone hates us and we don't care

Im not looking forward to saturday for ny nephew....not because we've signed CE but because i suspect that im going to have to wade through a protest and get told that my opions and personal feelings are wrong.

My nephew wont give a monkeys abut CE, he just wants to watch his team.

This 'ashamed to be an oldham fan' page which is now attracting non-oldham fans is harming the club....anyone aetting that cr@p up is not an oldham fan.

Ironically, if the team start to believe or, dare I say it, sympathise with Evans then a potential siege mentality could get us results on the pitch.

Same goes with the fans; everyone hates us and we don't care

We're not Leeds from the 80's

When asked last year about the possibility of Evans playing for Wales, Manager Chris Coleman said:

“Normally the manager picks the squad. This one is different though and I would have to discuss it with officials at the FAW. If Ched were to return to a club and do well, then it’s a conversation for us to have. Once you mention someone's name with the words 'convicted rapist', it makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. I don’t know Ched himself, but I would have to sit down and talk to him, too.”

Wales Online reporting:

Any potential return to football for Evans also raises the possibility he could soon be back in international football with Chris Coleman's Wales.

Again, that would be a highly controversial move but with Coleman lacking a natural frontman, it could be an option if Evans finds form with Oldham straight away.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Not sure if this has been mentioned....

The guy in charge of Zen Office was on Radio 5 live while I was driving home. He was saying they was asked yesterday if they would offer support for the route the club was taking. They responded next day (today) saying that they couldn't. Next thing they knew it was being reported that they had pledged to back the club over the signing, which then forced them to come public and declare they had in fact offered no support.

He said they had planned to just quietly exit but in the end where given little choice.

Felt sorry for them to be honest.

Edited by oafc0000

We're not Leeds from the 80's

Unfortunately some of our fans and their mentality will savour this once the opposition fans start.

I've looked at this from every angle and apart from getting a "quality" player on the cheap, I cannot understand why we've signed him.

I heard on radio that any chance to prove his innocence won't commence until autumn 2015. That's seven months or more where he's still convicted, unrepentant and us under the spotlight for the wrong reasons.

We'll play the rehabilitation card but how can someone rehabilitate if they're adamant that they're innocent, won't show any remorse and this will gather pace towards the appeal date with more :censored: as the girl continues to be hounded?!

I've had some challenging jobs but the new Commercial Director role for OAFC pisses all over those....

Edited by Midsblue

The following sportsmen (according to Wikipedia) have been convicted of rape. Retired means conviction happpened after retirement. I've bolded up anyone who returned to professional sport. NB, their crimes may have been greater or lesser than

Tom Payne - Basketball career ended

Ruben Patterson -returned to Basketball (was convicted of third degree rape)

Tony Ayala Jr - Boxing career ended

Mike Tyson - returned to Boxing

Lorrie Wilmot - Committed suicide (retired from Cricket)

Otari Kvantrishvili - Wrestling career ended

Mark Rogowski - Skateboarding career ended

And sexual assault

Thomas Henderson - already retired from American Football

Dave Meggett - already retired from American Football

Nate Webster - Cut from American Football

Keith Wright - Cut from American Football

Marlon King - Continued Football career

Graham Rix - Returned to Football coaching (underage sex)

Craig Thompson - Top level Football career ended (lewd acts)

Chad Curtis - Retired from Baseball

Mel Hall - Retired from Baseball

Eddie Johnson - Retired from Basketball

Trevor Berbick - Murdered

Trevis Smith - Canadian Football career ended. Sacked by High School when conviction discovered

So what's the difference when we signed Hughes?

A fair amount. We did not learn from it, mainly.

I did not agree with that decision either, but he clearly expressed remorse.

And It was a first. Twice is careless at best.

Did we make a fortune out of Hughes. No.

Did he get rehabilitated. Very obviously not.

Did he fire us to promotion. No.

Did he cause the fans to join together. No.

The thing is. Even if Evans wins an appeal, the board have entered this on the basis he is guilty. Their moral compass and contempt for the fans has been made very public.

And How can trying to get a player on the cheap be a laudable justification.

The harassment of sponsors by the left wing feminist army is disgusting . If you don't believe me check out there profiles on Twitter and their direct messages to key partner companies.

This whole debacle has been hijacked by social media keyboard warriors and it isn't their battle to play out.

It's my club and I will make my own moral judgement without pressurising others.

I was pretty much on the fence with this but I now hope mr Evans bags a hatful before end of season

More disgusting than Evans behaviour? Than our Boards behaviour?

Now getting phones calls at work from other members of staff regarding this ............... because I won't comment I been told that I must condone rape!!

Thanks a :censored:ing lot Corney for bringing supporting the club to this ........... wished you'd have pissed off years ago with the others

Maybe your colleagues need to grow up and get a grip

A fair amount. We did not learn from it, mainly.

I did not agree with that decision either, but he clearly expressed remorse.

And It was a first. Twice is careless at best.

Did we make a fortune out of Hughes. No.

Did he get rehabilitated. Very obviously not.

Did he fire us to promotion. No.

Did he cause the fans to join together. No.

He had to express remorse there was no way he was getting away with what he done.

Don't think we were ever going to make a fortune out of Hughes due to his age.

We got quite close to promotion didn't we then he went on loan to Blackpool.

A fair amount. We did not learn from it, mainly.I did not agree with that decision either, but he clearly expressed remorse.And It was a first. Twice is careless at best.Did we make a fortune out of Hughes. No.Did he get rehabilitated. Very obviously not.Did he fire us to promotion. No.Did he cause the fans to join together. No.

Exactly, it's not as if our previous signing of an ex-con was a major success. Hughes turned out to be a weapons grade bellend. An awful, awful decision by the club and one I truly hope backfires on them

Exactly, it's not as if our previous signing of an ex-con was a major success. Hughes turned out to be a weapons grade bellend. An awful, awful decision by the club and one I truly hope backfires on them

Perhaps after LJ inevitably moves on we can get back in Sir Joe Royle so he can tell the Board 'What the fxxx were you thinking, get him out of here now!'

He managed just under a goal every other game, I would says thats pretty successful on a personal point. And you could tell Hughes was a grade A Bell by looking at him.

Danny mills made a good point he said the players will forget about what hes done as soon as he starts scoring goals

How can Danny Mills begin to understand how the players will feel? Has he shared a dressing room with a goalscoring rapist?

It's a load of sound bite bollocks. Not a good point.