Most disappointing signings ever

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most disappointing for me will always be Billy Kenny. Everton fans still look back on him as their missed Gerrard and in his brief stint with us you could see the frightening potential. When he signed I genuinely felt Joe had unearthed an absolute diamond but, after just 4 games, the drugs took over and he was gone.

Olney

Feeney

Ricketts

Gill

Clegg

Colbeck

Parker

I'm not having Olney- he scored 13 goals in the equivalent of a season in the top flight and then got injured so badly that he had to retire.

A few years later and he would have probably been back in the team within 6 months.

Scored two identical goals at Selhurst - still couldn't get us a win at the godforsaken place though.

Olney was underrated.

First goal was Vonk. Second was Redmond. We ended up with Jon Hallworth up top in that game!

As for Olney, I was only a young pup when he was with us, but I seemed to recall he was decent...

For me, disappointing means players who you genuinely had decent expectations of, but turned out to be total cack, rather than players who just were just useless or who had any potential wrecked by injury. So for me, the immediate ones that spring to mind are:

Brett Ormerod (was blatantly unfit - if so, why sign him?)
Ben Burgess (ditto)
Dele Adebola (that makes three)
Rodney Jack (had been great in the lower leagues, but was totally awful for the most part)
Michael Clegg (he was atrocious, apart form a brief spell at the start of the 2004/05 season when he had to play as we had no other players)
Keigan Parker (talent wrecked by cant-be-arsedness)

And, dare I say it - Ricky Holden in his second spell. I was so happy when he came to us, but City wrecked him.....

First goal was Vonk. Second was Redmond. We ended up with Jon Hallworth up top in that game!

As for Olney, I was only a young pup when he was with us, but I seemed to recall he was decent...

You're right. Talked about that game with Jon Hallworth some years later; he was still disappointed that he didn't score when he had quite a decent chance late on.