Communication and Leadership

On the pitch this has obviously been an issue mainly going off commentary and reports and also from the odd game I've seen. But the shocking injury list probably accounts for a lot of the problems in that area.

I've got a bit of an issue with the club on this front though. With Corney often overseas it feels like there is a real lack of direction when he's not there. Having listened to his interview on GMR I was quite confident about how the post-Johnson situation was being handled, but since then the lack of communication has seen that disappear. Leadership starts from the top down, so when the fans aren't seeing any leadership or direction in dealings with them, it's no surprise that isn't filtering down to peformance on the pitch.

For example, when Holden was appointed the club could have been much more open about it. Instead, a short statement released on the website that is seemingly having a dig at someone about the destabilising speculation. It felt like a plan B. And even if it was it could have been handled as if it was plan A.

Maybe we could have had Neil Joy sitting in front of a camera with Holden and Philliskirk and explaining the situation which is then put on youtube for all fans to see. This didn't need to reveal any details about the process or potential candidates obviously, but a stronger delivery of the message rather than the wishy-washy statement with throw away talk of the Championship etc. EG we will be conducting talks and interviews with the shortlisted candidates and if Dean wants the job his interview is what happens on and off the pitch between now and the end of the season.

The way that the club deals with statements and news is pretty weak. What is Neil Joy's role exactly? I don't remember seeing an interview with him on Latics Player. If Corney is out of the business so much and Joy is his eyes and ears as he's said, then he should be fronting up to the fans occasionally on important matters.

This has been a really demoralising time for everyone involved, just when there was a bit of belief that we were in a realistic play off push everything has gone tits up.

I'm fine with Holden till the end of the season IF I had confidence rather than hope that we were working toward a full time appointment in the summer. And I accept that the injury list has probably scuppered the play off dream along with Johnson jumping ship at the first sniff of a better offer.

What I'm not happy with now is the lack of strength and leadership from the top of the club which the fans definitely need to see, and maybe Holden and the players need to see too.

Also, this lack of a strong relationship with the fans is a shocking legacy of the former Trust Chairman's role and fixing this should be job no.1 of the new chairperson.

Anthony Gee is meant to oversee club affairs while Corney is overseas, so perhaps the fact that he is relatively new to the role has caused some instability.

However that doesn't excuse the fact that the club have given up on the season. Waited for us to lose enough games as to put us out of the play off picture and then appointed Holden.

Communications from within the club to the fans have always been piss-poor, in the near-on thirty years I have been supporting the club. The thing is, nowadays, the information highway necessitates clubs to move with the times, in regards to fan communications. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have sunk-in yet at Oldham Athletic.

You're looking for leadership from the bunch of idiots that brought us (and continues to bring us) Chedgate.

Not only did they concede any playoff challenge, but they have also assumed that we're safe from relegation. If the worst happens, appointing Holden may be held up as this cluster:censored:-of-a-Boardroom's greatest failure.

Anthony Gee is meant to oversee club affairs while Corney is overseas, so perhaps the fact that he is relatively new to the role has caused some instability.

However that doesn't excuse the fact that the club have given up on the season. Waited for us to lose enough games as to put us out of the play off picture and then appointed Holden.

Surely it's Neil Joy as Chief Executive.

You're looking for leadership from the bunch of idiots that brought us (and continues to bring us) Chedgate.

Not only did they concede any playoff challenge, but they have also assumed that we're safe from relegation. If the worst happens, appointing Holden may be held up as this cluster:censored:-of-a-Boardroom's greatest failure.

Depressing that there's been a few, isn't it?

Spot-on.

With eleven games left, they clearly decided that reaching the points tally to survive was a formality. Now there are only ten games left. I would like the board to personally tell the fans just where they expect to pick up the points, because for the life in me, I can't see them coming from anywhere, any time soon.

"Greatest failure" might just turn out to be a bit of an understatement.