How we blagged Oldham Athletic into giving a client the managers job

I think it's more the fact he has agreed to go so public with it so early that is the problem...lack of foresight/tact

Totally agree, he shouldn't of gave his permission for this to be published (if he did) so that was a bad move.

however I trust Simon corney enough to think that Kelly had more to him than a nice cv/presentation

Edited by Corazzin19

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Id say he is a smart fella for using these, helped get him his dream job... Nothing to un pick at the moment, Im going to judge him on his first 6 competitive games, think the rest should also.

Same here. If he's at Walsall at 3pm on Saturday he'll have my full support.

I hope he turns out our best manager since Royle.

This all just adds to all the other concerns people (rightly or wrongly) have had about his appointment....

The agency company want people to use them now, not in a year so why not advertise their success? They have demonstrated how they helped him get his philosophy (that cringy word again) across. Maybe hes not the most computer literate and a genius on word & powerpoint, being an ex footballer and all. Just because it was all glammed up, doesnt mean what he had on that paper isnt exactly what he is going to do. Some people want him out before a ball is kicked, those fans are completely over dramatic and fickle. I go to watch Oldham play, and so long as its good on a Saturday, I couldnt care less how he got the job.

The unemployed get help with their CVs at the job centre, nothing wrong with giving people all the legitimate tools to help gain employment.

There isn't but, surely it's misguided at best, allowing this firm to put such information on the internet given the rough ride Kelly is already (rightly or wrongly) getting....

The Job Centre helping Fred Bloggs get back into work isn't quite the same thing....

Edited by HarryBosch

There isn't but, surely it's misguided at best, allowing this firm to put such information on the internet given the rough ride Kelly is already (rightly or wrongly) getting....

The Job Centre helping Fred Bloggs get back into work isn't quite the same thing....

I look forward to the company adding a Latics promotion to the advert Harry.

I honestly don't see the problem. He's hungry for success and has had the sense to use a company to help him improve his opportunities. The content is still the key i.e. qualifications and (lack of) experience. Then the company has asked him to return the favour by helping promote their services.

Seriously, what's the problem? He's shown ambition and professionalism. Hopefully, this a reflection on his approach (notice how i avoided philosophy).

The post above is taken from a thread shortly after Kelly was appointed.

The interviews I've watched have not impressed me and lead me to a similar conclusion.

It therefore puzzled me somewhat that SC had said the board was unanimous, after being 'blown away', following the best list of applicants in SC's 10 years at the club.

Maybe the OP in this thread explains how DK managed to achieve that.

He's an incredibly well qualified football coach, of that there is no doubt and I sincerely hope that helps him succeed.

You don't need to be a member of MENSA to be a football manager..... however you do need to have a level of innate intelligence to manage human resource.... and it's here where I fear he might struggle.

Nohairdontcare, on 03 May 2015 - 7:29 PM, said:snapback.png

A few things I've been told from the only person I'm aware of that had actually heard of Kelly - a well placed source here in Ireland: "He's fond of the sunbeds" and "he's not the brightest".

When told the deal was apparently done my source said "mad".

I also heard a story about how he was completely unaware of one of if not the most significant chapter in Irish history, but I'll leave that at that.

We're not hiring a historian, and if he likes to take to a sunbed then good for him... It's the "he's not the brightest" bit that worries me.

I trust my source's judgement 100 per cent - but hope he's wrong.

A good mate of mine who knew Darren Kelly very well about 8-10 years ago said when I told him he was our new boss:

You're joking aren't you? Manager? Really?

He was an honest hard working player

He's a lovely lovely lad. A nicer lad you would not wish to meet - probably too nice to be a manager from my experience of him.

I really hope he does well but I'm not convinced, but people change. He would need to.

He is very non-confrontational to say the least. In fact he shies away from confrontation

He is in no way politically motivated

Good luck to the lad.

I think this sums him up based on what I've seen of him so far from a distance.

That's why I hope he makes it but I have massive doubts as I think he is out of his depth sadly.

Surprised this was not found early. They released the story on the 15 of June. Also David Dunn is one of their clients

Now that is interesting, players having to do power point presentations, CV's and dossiers to get jobs now.......

Edited by singe

Everyone knows latics fans love a good moan, but come Saturday everyone will be there in great spirits and we will cruise to a 3-1 victory. Mark my words.

I hope Wilson and Burns ability to mark is better than Gunning's on that video, otherwise they might be marking your words instead of their attacking opponents.

You don't need to be a member of MENSA to be a football manager..... however you do need to have a level of innate intelligence to manage human resource.... and it's here where I fear he might struggle.

Apart, as mentioned, from the fact of publicizing the fact so soon (maybe he paid less or not at all, in return for the endorsement?), it seems to me a pretty good level of 'innate intelligence' to go out and employ an Agency to get you a post with a Premiership club and then a manager post at a League One Club.

Bear in mind, lowly we may be, but technically his current job is in the top 100 football managerial jobs in the country; that's pretty sharp thinking, especially if he is 'not the brightest'.

Apart, as mentioned, from the fact of publicizing the fact so soon (maybe he paid less or not at all, in return for the endorsement?), it seems to me a pretty good level of 'innate intelligence' to go out and employ an Agency to get you a post with a Premiership club and then a manager post at a League One Club.

Bear in mind, lowly we may be, but technically his current job is in the top 100 football managerial jobs in the country; that's pretty sharp thinking, especially if he is 'not the brightest'.

You'll note I've not knocked him for doing it and his willingness to be prepared is not to be sniffed it, nor are his footballing qualifications. I am basing my concern [which I hope to be proved unnecessary] on his choice of words when answering questions posed of him in interviews. To manage people well, you can't rely on textbooks, powerpoint presentations or coaching.... it comes naturally or it doesn't come at all.

No issue with using this type of service. I know from experience its not a 'cheap' option and therefore shows that he is committed to developing himself and his career - which is a good thing.

Also, this type of approach ensures that you don't under sell your abilities, but generally you can only sell what you have actually got in terms of experience / skills etc, It gets you a foot in the door and then its down to you.