Lee Johnson's much vaunted PowerPoint - here it is

I have a vision of you, BP,in a small dark room , whimpering and rocking back and forth in the foetal position

lol..I was imagining a football pitch marked out in zones.

Imagine the scenario of a coach with a megaphone on the touchline;

"Would defender number 5 please procede to zone 16 and remain there until further notice"

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but they started their managerial careers in the '60s and '70s respectively, with the most recently retired doing so two years ago at the age of 71. They were different generations.

However I can imagine Mourinho, Benitez, Monk and other well respected present day managers (or at least their teams) doing it.

The skill is in getting your ideas across to your players successfully.

hi lee

No, but they started their managerial careers in the '60s and '70s respectively, with the most recently retired doing so two years ago at the age of 71. They were different generations.

However I can imagine Mourinho, Benitez, Monk and other well respected present day managers (or at least their teams) doing it.

The skill is in getting your ideas across to your players successfully.

I would loved to have seen Mourinho's pre match powerpoint to his players before their cup tie against Bradford City.

Edited by BP1960

I am not sure how much Mourinho would do. The sports science bits, yes. To be honest I dont knock those, but the named zones on a pitch and brain storms are :censored:. It is just sales aimed at businessmen who like that kind of crap.

Edited by pukka

Change scares you doesn't it?

All a load of baloney, no wonder players looked confused, like when I heard Jones and Dunn last Saturday asking the management team what they were supposed to be doing.

As for change, at 70yo I can teach many a kid how to create charts, graphs and powerpoints, I'm a whiz at Excel and can make a smartphone sing and dance.

Edited by BP1960

All a load of baloney, no wonder players looked confused, like when I heard Jones and Dunn last Saturday asking the management team what they were supposed to be doing.

Laugh all you like but this is the way the world going 20 years from now stuff like the above will look like someone with a chalk and blackboard now shouting 4-4-2 lads!

Laugh all you like but this is the way the world going 20 years from now stuff like the above will look like someone with a chalk and blackboard now shouting 4-4-2 lads!

You could be right, football might be played by pre programmed robots, have to be careful how we treat those robots though for dissent - remember the movie Westworld?

Edited by BP1960

You could be right, football might be played by pre programmed robots, have to be careful how we treat those robots though for dissent - remember the movie Westworld?

We might even go back the other way and just tell players to go out play a 4-4-2, I do get the impression though is that footballers will have to be more intelligent and be more tactically aware dare I say it, it may get to a stage where we do away with coaches as players sort it out themselves on the pitch. Edited by GlossopLatic

I am not sure how much Mourinho would do. The sports science bits, yes. To be honest I dont knock those, but the named zones on a pitch and brain storms are :censored:. It is just sales aimed at businessmen who like that kind of crap.

Named zones, POMO and all that go back to Charles Reep and Charles Hughes in the '50s I believe. Not a new phenomenon, whether it's baloney or not!

Maybe so, but will anyone be watching it? (at lower levels)

Who knows I hope so when I have kids if like to take them to watch Oldham Athletic.

But I just hope Oldham athletic are prepared to adapt to the changing world around them. In the last 20 years we've not adapted at all and we've stagnated and other clubs that have, have sailed past is into the distance. That change may be anything from trendy coaching talk to the way it operates off the pitch.

Who knows I hope so when I have kids if like to take them to watch Oldham Athletic.

But I just hope Oldham athletic are prepared to adapt to the changing world around them. In the last 20 years we've not adapted at all and we've stagnated and other clubs that have, have sailed past is into the distance. That change may be anything from trendy coaching talk to the way it operates off the pitch.

No-one should have a problem with change; the business that fails to change will at best stagnate, but I'm afraid this is just too much for me. I have sat through enough presentations of this type (in totally different contexts) to be able to spot the common factor - and that is style over substance.

No-one should have a problem with change; the business that fails to change will at best stagnate, but I'm afraid this is just too much for me. I have sat through enough presentations of this type (in totally different contexts) to be able to spot the common factor - and that is style over substance.

I think we've all suffered from death by PowerPoint at so e point in our lives :)

This PowerPoint isn't even original. It uses ideas that are part of the curriculum to obtain the uefa coaching badges. There isn't anything that wouldn't be particular to Barnsley. It' like copying your mate's homework.

No, it's like being taught something at school then remembering it, changing it to suit what you need and applying it. That's what it's like.

Eh?

We employed Johnson first.......???

Done a few in my time, great for flummoxing audiences, you can baffle a lot with science.

In my last job I would sit through endless PowerPoint meetings where IT people just throw a lot of information at you. Now I work in a marketing agency where they keep the message as simple as possible as they know the audience need to understand it.

Maybe that's the challenge create a strategic game plan which out foxes the opposition but so that Connor Brown and Dom Poleon understand it.

Edited by GlossopLatic