Why are we so poor at home?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking back to yesterday Barnsley often seemed to be attacking in numbers and then, after us getting the ball back and slowly moving it through midfield, they were then back defending in numbers....

8 game losing streak and Johnson appeared to have every single one of their players running themselves in to the ground.

8 game losing streak and Johnson appeared to have every single one of their players running themselves in to the ground.

Saw it against Burton & it was the same yesterday. On numerous occasions when they put the ball in our box Barnsley had numbers in or busting a gut to get in the box. When they headed against the post 2nd half they had four players expecting the cross.

We on the other hand couldn't cross the ball on numerous occasions because when we attacked we had nobody in the box & 4 players trying to playing triangles & pretty patterns looming for options. Poleon because gphe can't win headers hangs around outside the box. When Higdon arrived we still on several occasions only had 1 but because of his size & team mates thinking he may win one or 2 headers they did try & support. Philli being the main one.

That is the main reason we don't score goals home or away. If you don't get enough bodies in the box then you don't create enough chances even if its a scruffy tap in like their 2nd As it is in the last 2 league games our first attempts on goal have been after an hour.

Edited by palmer1

Saw it against Burton & it was the same yesterday. On numerous occasions when they put the ball in our box Barnsley had numbers in or busting a gut to get in the box. When they headed against the post 2nd half they had four players expecting the cross.

We on the other hand couldn't cross the ball on numerous occasions because when we attacked we had nobody in the box & 4 players trying to playing triangles & pretty patterns looming for options. Poleon because gphe can't win headers hangs around outside the box. When Higdon arrived we still on several occasions only had 1 but because of his size & team mates thinking he may win one or 2 headers they did try & support. Philli being the main one.

That is the main reason we don't score goals home or away. If you don't get enough bodies in the box then you don't create enough chances even if its a scruffy tap in like their 2nd As it is in the last 2 league games our first attempts on goal have been after an hour.

Kelly and Jones centre midfield, Forte and Yeates on the wings, Cassidy and Poleon up top, that has to be our best chance of scoring goals.

I know some swear by the modern textbook attitude of 4-4-2 being dead and buried, but I reckon that team has the potential to rip other sides apart.

Kelly and Jones centre midfield, Forte and Yeates on the wings, Cassidy and Poleon up top, that has to be our best chance of scoring goals.

I know some swear by the modern textbook attitude of 4-4-2 being dead and buried, but I reckon that team has the potential to rip other sides apart.

We haven't got 3 of them available at the moment though...

Poleon is as good on the right as he is in his own up front. I swear its philological with him as well. As soon as Higdon appeared his work rates up as he knows he has a smaller area to cover. Will be interesting when Cassidy is back as he will work his tripe out & Poleon may be able to concentrate & being in & around the box

Edited by palmer1

Would the levels of moaning be less if the home/away form was the other way round?

I don't think so, home or away it's not enough games won.

If we lose in similar fashion on Tuesday I dread to think what the reaction will be like.

Anybody predicting a win? 1-1 draw or 1-0 loss is the general feeling every game this season.

Thinking back to yesterday Barnsley often seemed to be attacking in numbers and then, after us getting the ball back and slowly moving it through midfield, they were then back defending in numbers....

You're right but I wasn't complimenting Barnsley....

Poleon and Forte on the wings playing off Cassidy will be lethal.

There seems to a lot of eggs going into the Cassidy basket? He has played about 103 minutes ever for Latics but we seem to be thinking he is a returning Messiah. He might be a great player for us...let's hope so but at this stage thinking he is the answer to our issues might turn out to be premature?

There seems to a lot of eggs going into the Cassidy basket? He has played about 103 minutes ever for Latics but we seem to be thinking he is a returning Messiah. He might be a great player for us...let's hope so but at this stage thinking he is the answer to our issues might turn out to be premature?

Not in a goalscoring sense, but in those 3 games you could see how skilful he is as a hold-up player.

Poleon and Forte on the wings playing off Cassidy will be lethal.

As good as Cassidy looked for the game and a bit we saw of him, the whole team looked a lot less :censored: than they do now. And he didn't even score.

I hope he comes back and is a world beater but let's not rest all our hopes on him.