A Bradford Perspective - where we really that bad?

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

Just got off the phone to an old work colleague who lives in Shipley and is a BCFC season ticket holder. Asked him for an honest opinion - he said Bradford were poor by their standards but that we were by far and away the worst team they have played this season! Said we knocked it about nicely at times BUT totally ineffective once we got past the half way line. Thought our attacking threat was nil and said Cassidy was truly awful.

I`ve had a shufty on their forums and that seems to be the overall view quote, "Oldham as threatening as natural yoghurt" "relegation certainties" "Oldham awful - probably worse than Chesham (?) " - did they play them in the cup or something?.

It's interesting getting the opponents' views as we can sometimes be rose tinted - I actually thought we were okay for 20 mins or so in second half before he took Winchester off - poor after that. I suppose thinking about it - there was only ever one team that looked like scoring - and that was them on a VERY off day for them too.

Doesn't bode well - and perhaps we really are just a very poor side that any manager will struggle to save this season?

Or will a new goalie, centre forward and centre half really transform us enough to save us?

Yes I thought we were poor. Average goalkeeper, defence better than of late to be fair, midfield ineffective and nothing up front to speak of. Was hoping for bit of extra effort from the team given it was the managers first game, but I didn't really see that. I imagine there will be a significant improvement for the Bury game after a full week with the players, one can only hope anyway.

Yes I thought we were poor. Average goalkeeper, defence better than of late to be fair, midfield ineffective and nothing up front to speak of. Was hoping for bit of extra effort from the team given it was the managers first game, but I didn't really see that. I imagine there will be a significant improvement for the Bury game after a full week with the players, one can only hope anyway.

The problem is can any manager change the mentality of these players?

They're not wrong to say we had nothing going forwards that day, and certainly not wrong to say Cassidy was dreadful, however by that reckoning they were a desperately poor side too, taking into account we were playing with 10 men for 50 minutes, in case we and they have forgotten. We held our own and with a better final touch on a few occasions the game could've gone either way.

A ridiculous exaggeration.

I didn't go. But it sounds like we were better at the back?

And considering we have been so vulnerable to any cross into our box, and we were down to 10men for half the game, and Bradford are known for their long-ball and set piece prowess, perhaps it is surprising it was only 1-0.

And when previous managers have tried to change the formation, we immediately fell apart like a deck of cards?

You only need one goal to win though - and they probably realised one was all they needed yesterday and just cruised it out...

But it's something for Shez to build on and it'll be interesting to see how we play on Sat.

Dunn's comments since leaving confirm he was baffled, extremely frustrated and, thereby indicating, unable to coach/improve these players st all. In fact, they were getting worse. We were never going to be able to sign loads of players this month, so that's why we had to make a change.

Shez won't turn them into world beaters, and three signings might not transform things drastically, but if he can improve us and organise us so we are at least not an open door at the back.....then as a team we can finally work on pressing forward and how to score more goals - or just shoot more even...!

Under Holden and Dunn, it was just damage limitation. They were unable to improve us defensively so our midfielders were joining the back four. We had no chance of getting forward and our whole mindset was defensive, negative, and unambitious.

Although it sounds like Cassidy was poor, he's not long back from injury and will have no idea about the sort of passes and service he's going to get from his team-mates and the movement around him. We've had none of that all season! Let's see how he is in a game or two?

Otherwise, Forte and Murphy up top might be the way forward - with the former roaming for space and through balls, and the latter always in the box and between the opposition centre-backs.

Edited by IceStationLatic

People said Murphy was a bag of :censored: and wouldn't score goals. People said Kelly was dog :censored:. Etc etc

Matt Smith...

Adam Rooney also....

More positively, we were laughed at for signing Harkins and Forte...

It's all about the manager finding a way to improve and get the most out of his players.

It's clear from his post match interview that Sheridan will be working on a straihtforward game plan (even I could understand it!!), and he hopes the week will be enough time to get across how he wants to play.

It will be very telling if they take on board what he says or not.

I didn't go. But it sounds like we were better at the back?

And considering we have been so vulnerable to any cross into our box, and we were down to 10men for half the game, and Bradford are known for their long-ball and set piece prowess, perhaps it is surprising it was only 1-0.

And when previous managers have tried to change the formation, we immediately fell apart like a deck of cards?

You only need one goal to win though - and they probably realised one was all they needed yesterday and just cruised it out...

But it's something for Shez to build on and it'll be interesting to see how we play on Sat.

Dunn's comments since leaving confirm he was baffled, extremely frustrated and, thereby indicating, unable to coach/improve these players st all. In fact, they were getting worse. We were never going to be able to sign loads of players this month, so that's why we had to make a change.

Shez won't turn them into world beaters, and three signings might not transform things drastically, but if he can improve us and organise us so we are at least not an open door at the back.....then as a team we can finally work on pressing forward and how to score more goals - or just shoot more even...!

Under Holden and Dunn, it was just damage limitation. They were unable to improve us defensively so our midfielders were joining the back four. We had no chance of getting forward and our whole mindset was defensive, negative, and unambitious.

Although it sounds like Cassidy was poor, he's not long back from injury and will have no idea about the sort of passes and service he's going to get from his team-mates and the movement around him. We've had none of that all season! Let's see how he is in a game or two?

Otherwise, Forte and Murphy up top might be the way forward - with the former roaming for space and through balls, and the latter always in the box and between the opposition centre-backs.

When we had a reserve league players could find fitness and form there, now there's no option but to throw them into the deep end.

One of the biggest mistakes of recent years has been the abandonment of these leagues, also youths have nowhere to develop except for being shipped out on loan to places far and wide.

Even some premier league managers despair of the under 21 league system, where promising players can't cope once they leave that cosy environment.

Bringing back the reserves system is my hope.

Edited by BP1960

When we had a reserve league players could find fitness and form there, now there no option but to throw them into the deep end.

One of the biggest mistakes of recent years has been the abandonment of these leagues, also youths have nowhere to develop except for being shipped out on loan to places far and wide.

Even some premier league managers despair of the under 21 league system, where promising players can't cope once they leave that cosy environment.

Bringing back the reserves system back is my hope.

I believe bringing back the reserves next season is the plan. Whether this is changing now Dunn has gone I'm unsure!

I believe bringing back the reserves next season is the plan. Whether this is changing now Dunn has gone I'm unsure!

Hope so, it should be a Simon Corney directive whoever's the manager.

Edited by BP1960