How desperate is it at the moment compared to previous struggles?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fans sleepwalking in to league 2.....no squad investment...confusing managerial appointments..........ineffective board of directors......toothless supporters trust.........cant sell or wont sell........its our club not theirs...its a :censored:ing corneyshambles

But they saved the club. They saved the club. They saved the club.

But they saved the club. They saved the club. They saved the club.

Agree.

They saved the club and (eventually) have done something to improve the stadium with the new stand and (if its ever finished) the carpark.

Whilst they have never been a big spending ownership model, from the outset they said their intention was to make the club self sufficient and not be at risk of going bust. The pretty damning Independent article states that we made a profit of £400k last year without any cup runs or if I recall big money departures - therefore they must be fairly close to achieving that goal. Once the stand is completed, it might help bring more cash in to help that balance be met with more money available on the playing front (even with relegation?).

That said, over the last few seasons when we have flirted with play-off success at times, it has generally been felt that the managers have had the support from the board in terms of keeping hold of players we have, or bringing in a few loans as and when needed.

I think what makes it so hard at the moment, is that from a point last season under LJ we looked like a genuinely good side in this league, one that was playing great football, with a stand on the way to boost the coffers and everyone was full of optimism. Possibly the highest amount of optimism we have had in this league since the Dowie play-off season....

And then it has all seemingly gone wrong.

The Ched Evans saga caused great damage - creating splits between Latics fans as big as I can remember; being a massive distraction during a period when the club was doing well; damaging our reputation.

Our performances started to slide - partly because of the above, but we also lost a good coach in PM, and also our talented manager was tempted away to another League One club.

Failed to make a quick appointment and try to keep the momentum going - the season was still open at that stage.

We then appointed a manager that even the most ardent of optimists struggled to get excited about and ultimately failed

Our new stand has staggered to an embarrassed start causing further upset to fans and also relocated the home end which was always going to upset some.

Failed to make a decisive second managerial appointment leaving us all but dead by the end of January.

The level of frustration is that after 18 years, it finally felt as though we had something to build on, something that could see us compete fully to get out of this league. What do they say, I can cope with despair, its the hope that kills you. And from a period of hope, we have quickly plunged into our darkest period in living memory for most fans.

In what has mostly in my opinion been a successful ownership period by SC and TTA, the last year must go down as one full of bad calls and mistakes. Ones that sadly, look as though they will cost us our place in this division.

Agree.

They saved the club and (eventually) have done something to improve the stadium with the new stand and (if its ever finished) the carpark.

Whilst they have never been a big spending ownership model, from the outset they said their intention was to make the club self sufficient and not be at risk of going bust. The pretty damning Independent article states that we made a profit of £400k last year without any cup runs or if I recall big money departures - therefore they must be fairly close to achieving that goal. Once the stand is completed, it might help bring more cash in to help that balance be met with more money available on the playing front (even with relegation?).

That said, over the last few seasons when we have flirted with play-off success at times, it has generally been felt that the managers have had the support from the board in terms of keeping hold of players we have, or bringing in a few loans as and when needed.

I think what makes it so hard at the moment, is that from a point last season under LJ we looked like a genuinely good side in this league, one that was playing great football, with a stand on the way to boost the coffers and everyone was full of optimism. Possibly the highest amount of optimism we have had in this league since the Dowie play-off season....

The Ched Evans saga caused great damage - creating splits between Latics fans as big as I can remember; being a massive distraction during a period when the club was doing well; damaging our reputation.

Our performances started to slide - partly because of the above, but we also lost a good coach in PM, and also our talented manager was tempted away to another League One club.

Failed to make a quick appointment and try to keep the momentum going - the season was still open at that stage.

We then appointed a manager that even the most ardent of optimists struggled to get excited about and ultimately failed

Our new stand has staggered to an embarrassed start causing further upset to fans and also relocated the home end which was always going to upset some.

Failed to make a decisive second managerial appointment leaving us all but dead by the end of January.

The level of frustration is that after 18 years, it finally felt as though we had something to build on, something that could see us compete fully to get out of this league. What do they say, I can cope with despair, its the hope that kills you. And from a period of hope, we have quickly plunged into our darkest period in living memory for most fans.

In what has mostly in my opinion been a successful ownership period by SC and TTA, the last year must go down as one full of bad calls and mistakes. Ones that sadly, look as though they will cost us our place in this division.

I find it impossible to believe we made £400,000 profit last year. It would not surprise me if this article has been written (or started being put together) before Christmas and the "last year" being talked about was actually 2014...this would include the Liverpool game and Tarky sale. Then I would believe we made £400,000 profit.

The claim that this is one bad year though and it's been mostly successful otherwise smacks of rose-tinted short memories IMO. We've had the Penney season where interestingly, only last night, I was reading an article in The Jewish Chronicle about the Jewish influence over the club. http://www.thejc.com/sport/caros-column/20812/not-quite-a-minyan-oldham-are-real-jewish-deal

It smelt then, as it does now, of not Penney signing players but Simon Corney being the man who is signing (or heavily influencing) the players brought in. That season was a close call. After this, we had the season where Dickov kept falling towards the relegation line but would win a game or two to propel us out of danger each time. Corney did everything to get him to walk...sacking his backroom staff, leaving him dangling over the chop and then sacking him shortly after the Liverpool win. I fully expected what happened this season to happen once LJ was brought in. But he had a little something about him. What he also had was a bit of the Liverpool cup monies to play with. But for those facts, we would have been down in League Two IMO.

We have managed to keep afloat in League One, just, inspite of the way we have been run. Not because of it. Had our "leader" had his way, we would be another Darlington white elephant in Failsworth or ground-sharing with Rochdale and our Youth System would be long gone (as he tried getting rid of it.) Our luck has now finally run out though and people are only seeing now what has been going on for years at the club. Mismanagement at every level!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Agree.

They actualy said at the outset, somewhat foolishly, that they had a five-year-plan to get us into the Championship, increasing attendances to make the club self-sufficient at that level.

So, yes, a pretty successful term of ownership. This past year isn't unique in being littered with bad calls and mistakes.

If we were in League 2, I don't think we would be anywhere near the play off spots, we can't keep a clean sheet, we score very few goals and consequently we can't win a game.

I will be amazed if we come straight back up next season without some significant and highly unlikely investment in the squad.

The only League 2 team we've played this season is Mansfield home and away, they are 11th and 4 points off the playoffs, we won one and drew one without conceding so that tells me we wouldn't be a million miles away with Shez in charge.

The only League 2 team we've played this season is Mansfield home and away, they are 11th and 4 points off the playoffs, we won one and drew one without conceding so that tells me we wouldn't be a million miles away with Shez in charge.

Hardly any of the current players will still be here though.

Which might not be a bad thing but it is hard to imagine the replacements will be improvements.

That tells us precisely :censored: all.

That tells us precisely :censored: all.

It was in response to a post saying that if we were in League 2 we would struggle, I think we wouldn't and the only benchmark we have this season is Mansfield so it has some relevance.

Edited by yarddog73

It was in response to a post saying that if we were in League 2 we would struggle, I think we wouldn't and the only benchmark we have this season is Mansfield so it has some relevance.

As I stated in my previous post we cannot keep a clean sheet, we score very few goals and we have only won 3 games out of 26 all season (in short we have been :censored:e).

I find it impossible to believe we would be in the play-off spots in League 2 given the above.

We struggled to overcome Mansfield in 2 games, I was at BP for the replay and we were flattered by that scoreline, nothing in that performance against that opposition made me think we would be challenging at the top end of League 2.

All about opinions I guess.