How desperate is it at the moment compared to previous struggles?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13th place last season finished with 61 points, 13th placed Rochdale at the moment have 34 from 25 games.

So as it stands Shez only needs to take us from relegation form to mid table form..

We've produced promotion form to get out of the :censored: in the past.....

I'll admit I used the phrase for effect - winning every game would get us 86 points and therefore likely to finish 3rd or 4th and been comfortably in the Play-Offs with games to spare. The difference between 6/7/8th and mid-table is often not that big.

Someone above mentions the 98/99 season and I get a shudder down my spine. That team was for all the world a relegation certainty if it wasn't for the class and ability of one player. Who could barely walk, never mind run, but was such a class act that I genuinely believe he kept us up when it looked as though we had no right to do so.

Step forward Mr John Sheridan. Football miracles are once again in need at Boundary Park....

Many can't see this, that and the other compered to our first half of the season performance.

We now have a experienced manager which we didn't have.

We have a experienced coach on the horizon.

Personally, I am thinking these two will will know exactly what additions to the playing staff are needed and the clout to attract them.

I am also expecting Corney to be spooked enough to fund it.

I am not even considering us not managing to get 10 more points than the last two lots got.

Now is not the time to be having doubts.

Many can't see this, that and the other compered to our first half of the season performance.

We now have a experienced manager which we didn't have.

We have a experienced coach on the horizon.

Personally, I am thinking these two will will know exactly what additions to the playing staff are needed and the clout to attract them.

I am also expecting Corney to be spooked enough to fund it.

I am not even considering us not managing to get 10 more points than the last two lots got.

Now is not the time to be having doubts.

I have more optimism now than at any other time since the season started.

A week ago was probably as desperate as I can remember it. Clearly we weren't very good on the pitch and Dunn didn't look up to the job, but worse was the lack of hope for the foreseeable future. We had an owner who hadn't spoken for a while and who's commitment was unclear, a board whose judgement had been terrible for at least a year and the prospect that, if we did sack Dunn, the next manager and coaching staff would have the same lack of managerial experience and track record.

The appointment of Shez has quelled many of those fears for me. He won't be the most expensive appointment but to prize him away from another club is hassle that Corney hasn't felt was necessary to deal with since his very first appointment, which in my eyes shows that he has a more obvious plan for the club going forward. Aside from being a legend here, Shez has a record in this league and the one below that is an indicator that we'll at least be competitive come August, regardless of the league we're in.

I still think that we'll go down as it'll take a huge turn-around on the pitch to correct the wrongs of the first half of the season, but Shez being here instead of Dunn means that our chance of survival has gone from extremely unlikely to possible. Not great but a step in the right direction.

Where did the last team Shez managed in this division finish?

In the bottom four, looks like he'll get the chance to repeat that eh?! :wink:

Even if we do the same, he'll take only a small amount of the blame compared to the people before him. The only way he'll get a bigger chunk of the blame is if he overhauls the squad and gets even worse results and performances than Kelly and Dunn. Which won't happen because we don't have the money to overhaul the squad this month.

Also, how about his record in every other season he's managed?

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Sheridan should be safe no matter what division we are in next season as long as he improves on the form and performances of the last two managers.

If we are just as bad in terms of points per game and defeats (which I cannot imagine will be the case) then he will be out.

All Shez's best spells at clubs have been in league 2 , wonder if that's why they have brought him back so he can start early for next season !!!!!!

Commented on another thread that SC mentioned something along the lines of "if we go down we have the right man to get us back up".

Planning for relegation, but hoping that we stay up.

In answer to the thread topic, I'd say probably the worst I can remember.

Having said that though you never know what impact Shez can have.

BIG game on Saturday against a Bury side who've lost their last four league games.

Edited by Witty

Guest nonaenever

It's going to be an almighty ask. The one big difference this time around is that the squad is VERY unbalanced. Although Brian Wilson is much better at CH than he is at full-back, he just does not have the height/strength - couple that with James "soft-centre" Wilson and we basically don't have a robust central defence. We need 2 battle hardened CH's in my opinion to stop the opposition scoring first of all. Then we need the magic ingredient of scoring at the other end. Cassidy looks atrocious and is NOT the foil to bring the best out of Murphy (who has proven he has goals in him). So, acquiring another battle hardened traditional centre forward to score and lay off to Murphy is also crucial. Got to then pray none of them get injured!

Never a more crucial transfer window - and if Shez can recruit the above, at least we have a fighting chance. Oh I forget about a decent goalie too.

It's hard - very hard but now Shez is here I am going to stick by them whatever happens. I don't think I would have done that under Dunn/Holden.

Prepare for a rocky ride folks!

Guest nonaenever

It just got a lot more desperate after today - I think most "realists" now accept the inevitable - I do but, daft as it sounds, I`m now just going to let my love of the Latics take me along whatever ride it takes me - it's amazing how a bit of vegetable matter can improve your mood! (just had a bowl of sprouts)

I've been going since 1973 and I have never seen it worse than it is today (2003 aside), not just the inevitable relegation but the whole set up.

Owners who don't want to be here, and are unwilling to spend a penny on the team/squad.

The team and squad have already been run down to the point were we are now, very little talent left in the squad and that shows in the results, anybody we can get a fee for is as good as sold.

We have tried many different line ups and many different tactics, but the basic ability is not there, you can't polish a turd.

I rate Shez and really like him as a coach, but there's no way he can turn this round, especially without the financial backing to bring in 3/4 quality signings, clearly the finance is not there.

If we were in League 2, I don't think we would be anywhere near the play off spots, we can't keep a clean sheet, we score very few goals and consequently we can't win a game.

I will be amazed if we come straight back up next season without some significant and highly unlikely investment in the squad.

Here's something that may give hope.

The last time we were relegated from this division was in 68/9.

After 26 matches, as we are at present, we had 4 wins and 5 draws - the equivalent of 17 points ( only 2 for a win in those days)

From then on , over the last 20 games, we won 9 and drew 4 - the equivalent of 31 points.

It is possible ....yes we went down but that was almost certainly due to the less points for a win....