A note of caution

No dossiers, no powerpoints,

no clipboards, less sideways and backwards passing, two up front and just simple instructions players can understand, welcome back to the good old days of the basics. I imagine Shez's UEFA coaching manual was dumped many years ago. A whole industry has been made out of tactical equations and theories, they are now the dinosaurs.

Edited by BP1960

No dossiers, no powerpoints,

no clipboards, less sideways and backwards passing, two up front and just simple instructions players can understand, welcome back to the good old days of the basics. I imagine Shez's UEFA coaching manual was dumped many years ago. A whole industry has been made out of tactical equations and theories, they are now the dinosaurs.

Absolutely this!!

Guest nonaenever

believe me - Shrewsbury were bobbins - the Dog and Duck would likely have given them a run for their money last night - so let's not get carried away. HOWEVER there are encouraging signs and Shez is no mug. Our attacking threat, even last night, was not great with a complete inability to hold the ball up - which only puts pressure on the midfield/defence as it comes straight back at us. Think Shez, based on last night, will start Murphy next time out - who with, I'm not sure because neither Poleon or Forte covered themselves in glory. Higdon might actually have been great as a foil for Murphy as a stop gap measure this season. And good old Crofty - jeez - how has he managed to put yet another stone on! Needs to get properly fit and lose lots of weight if he is to be a serious inclusion again this season.

Midfield was as good as I`ve seen for a long time first half - went into our shells a bit second half. It's going to be a nerve wracking ride - enjoy it - I was certain of relegation - still looks likely BUT a tiny green shoot has popped through early.

believe me - Shrewsbury were bobbins - the Dog and Duck would likely have given them a run for their money last night - so let's not get carried away. HOWEVER there are encouraging signs and Shez is no mug. Our attacking threat, even last night, was not great with a complete inability to hold the ball up - which only puts pressure on the midfield/defence as it comes straight back at us. Think Shez, based on last night, will start Murphy next time out - who with, I'm not sure because neither Poleon or Forte covered themselves in glory. Higdon might actually have been great as a foil for Murphy as a stop gap measure this season. And good old Crofty - jeez - how has he managed to put yet another stone on! Needs to get properly fit and lose lots of weight if he is to be a serious inclusion again this season.

Midfield was as good as I`ve seen for a long time first half - went into our shells a bit second half. It's going to be a nerve wracking ride - enjoy it - I was certain of relegation - still looks likely BUT a tiny green shoot has popped through early.

If we attack as much as we did last night and keep Gerrard fit for the rest of the season we'll stay up comfortably.

Guest nonaenever

just saying - one swallow doesn't make a summer - when we've got 2 or 3 victories under our belt SOON then we can hopefully be more optimistic. Just don't think a 1-0 win at a Shrewsbury side who were dire on the night (and with no physical presence up front) is anything to go overboard about. It`s the physical sides that do us every time and Gerrard is not going to be able to defend on his own every game. Shez is undoubtedly the man - just hope we manage another robust centre half and a hold-up forward - whilst off-loading some dead wood. That would give us a real fighting chance.

The circumstances surrounding Gerrard's departure from Shrews and arrival to us mean that it will; be hard for gerrard to be more motivated for a match than that one. It will be impressive if he can keep near that level.

What you see is what you get with Gerrard, he does his job consistently with few frills.