A note of caution

Last night was a fantastic win, and suddenly things seem possible.

But, Shrewsbury beat top of the table Burton in the previous match, at Burton, then lost to us.

So, it will mean nothing if we revert to past performances.

But it does feel good, doesn't it.

Edited by singe

Also goes without saying, but it's our home form that we absolutely have to sort out. Preferably starting with the Donkey Lashers!

If ever there was a must win game it is that...I can't see us winning both games against them so we simply must win one and draw one IMO. Starting with the home game. Fingers crossed some results go our way on Saturday while we find something else to do.

Also note, when we play Blackpool, Fleetwood play Shrewsbury that weekend. Huge moment in our season.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Last night was a fantastic win, and suddenly things seem possible.

But, Shrewsbury beat top of the table Burton in the previous match, at Burton, then lost to us.

So, it will mean nothing if we revert to past performances.

But it does feel good, doesn't it.

Agreed the few bright spots earlier have sparked momentary optimism which was crushed in the follow up games never less so than 2 wins in a row in Nov followed up with 8/10 defeats.

I think there may be greater cause for optimism for several reasons. Shez seems to have really galvanised the whole club, as frequently mentioned of late.

While some have decried the delays in bringing in new faces, the ones he has bought in have made a great impact and there is the promise of more to come!

The other thing about Shez is that he seems to really back his players and not absolve himself by blaming individuals like someone we knew.

I saw the Bury game and think that was a marked improvement on any others I have seen so think the signs of progress are there to see.

BUT nothing taken for granted and every game is winnable and massive

Come on Oldham!

I agree that there is a long long way to go...

BUT - what we got last night was truly vital.

Firstly, the timing - that alone will give the team belief.

Secondly - the optics... we went in eight points adrift and emerged five points adrift with a game in hand.

Thirdly - a positive shift in mood that could extend all around the club and into the stands.

And also - something to keep in mind - I'm not one for celebrating avoiding relegation if that's what happens. I'll more likely breath a sigh of relief... but a couple more wins and we'll be playing for something again. League One Survival. That'll generate drama and excitement. Might even bring a few absent supporters back to matches.

February is massive with 6 games in 3 weeks, 2 home, Pool & Gills, 4 away, Posh, Pool, Scunthorpe, & Wigan.

We need 9 points minimum which would leave us on 33 from 33 needing a further 20 from 13 to be safe!

We can't afford too many draws so the sooner we can get those wins the better!!

I don't think there is an outstanding team in the division, or at least nobody we should be thinking there is no chance of us getting a result against, home or away.

It is all about our own performances, if we continue as we did last night we can definitely get enough points to stay up.

Have to say, I've been extremely impressed in Shez's demeanour and comments since he took over. If only he had talked this way back in Easter 2007 we might've had a promotion that season (was very negative in his approach when happy to just hit the playoffs when 2pts off the top 2 spots.) For me, he has shown early signs of having matured immensely since his last time here. He also has a game plan...going with pure pace upfront to hassle defences, forcing mistakes out of them. Then throwing on something a bit different on later in the game in Cassidy and Murphy. If we can score first in games, this tactic will see us winning much more. The problem has been this stupid early goal we had been conceding. Fingers crossed we cut that out and the gameplan works a treat over and over. Gives us a sniff of a chance at pulling this off!

My heart says that this result may be a catalyst for the type of run that will ensure survival. My head still tells me that relegation is the most likely scenario.

However:

We have a centre half whose instinct is safety first and who has no compunction about explaining this to his colleagues. This he does in words of one syllable that even JW has a chance of understanding. This, combined with wise words of advice from PS, suggests that the defence may start to function in a more robust and consistent fashion.

We have started to get the ball into the danger area more often. If our existing strikers, or our new ‘big name’ can start converting these chances then things look better.

We generally look more organised and the players seem to be more comfortable with what they are being asked to do.

If, and it’s a big if, we can bring some confidence into our home performances then we really do have a chance.

They will be a few pitfalls on the way but it shouldn’t be boring!

Edited by kowenicki'smoustache

Have to say, I've been extremely impressed in Shez's demeanour and comments since he took over. If only he had talked this way back in Easter 2007 we might've had a promotion that season (was very negative in his approach when happy to just hit the playoffs when 2pts off the top 2 spots.) For me, he has shown early signs of having matured immensely since his last time here. He also has a game plan...going with pure pace upfront to hassle defences, forcing mistakes out of them. Then throwing on something a bit different on later in the game in Cassidy and Murphy. If we can score first in games, this tactic will see us winning much more. The problem has been this stupid early goal we had been conceding. Fingers crossed we cut that out and the gameplan works a treat over and over. Gives us a sniff of a chance at pulling this off!

I was thinking much the same.

He seems a far more positive character so far.

I was thinking much the same.

He seems a far more positive character so far.

I think it's confidence. I think he's a lot more sure of himself as a manager than he was in his first job. My dad and I were commenting how much better he handles the media stuff compared to last time.

I think it's confidence. I think he's a lot more sure of himself as a manager than he was in his first job. My dad and I were commenting how much better he handles the media stuff compared to last time.

Very good point Stevie, I was pretty critical and low in my expectations before he was appointed, but he actually inspires confidence now.

Our biggest problem is consistenticy, I

bet Shrewsbury fans thought they'd turned a corner by beating Burton on Saturday but it a crash down to reality by getting beaten by our shower of :censored:e last night. The same could quite easily happen to us aganst Blackpool.