Safe Standing

If the Main Stand was demolished, meaning there'd be nowhere to watch the game from the sides with an elevated view, my attendance would drop sharply...

If you think the Main Stand will be demolished you could search online for a spare seat in the upper section of the North Stand.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think the Main Stand will be demolished you could search online for a spare seat in the upper section of the North Stand.

The middle ones are taken up by execs and it's still not high enough imo. Even the lowest row of the MSU is higher than the North Stand's most elevated seat, I'd guess

Haven't had chance to read all this but perhaps a sensible option is that when the time comes to demolish the Main Stand (rumours have circulated for a while) then replace it with a terraced standing paddock, with numbers strictly limited for safety purposes (don't think numbers will be an issue for many a year or big cup games).

This kills 2 birds with one stone:-

1) Satisfies the perceived wish of fans

2) Ensures you can easily build a new paddock within the "footprint" of the demolished Main Stand (would be much more difficult to build a new seated stand again due to the little room available for infrastructure because of houses on the road behind the stand).

Don't forget all the Football Club infrastructure is in the main stand. Ticket office, changing rooms, laundry etc.

But however many/few we need, it would cost 4 times as much as installing a seat. So the club should actually charge extra for standing.

Would people pay extra?

(Dave_Og - any figures for typical cost?)

In the region of £20 for a basic plastic seat to be installed. More than 80 for a rail seat (according to The Times)

In the region of £20 for a basic plastic seat to be installed. More than 80 for a rail seat (according to The Times)

Interesting. So if around a quarter of them are occupied by people who wouldn't be there otherwise it pays for itself in a year. Not saying that would happen like but I'm sure there would be some uplift from it

Interesting. So if around a quarter of them are occupied by people who wouldn't be there otherwise it pays for itself in a year. Not saying that would happen like but I'm sure there would be some uplift from it

plus however much it costs to take old ones out, or we could just draw West Ham in a cup