Safe Standing

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interim report by Lord Justice Taylor was published relatively swiftly after the tragedy, in August 1989. It contained 43 separate recommendations, which were designed to be implemented immediately by all football league clubs by the beginning of the forthcoming season, 1989/90. The principal recommendations of the interim report were:

A review of the terrace capacities in all grounds, with an immediate 15% reduction in ground capacities;

Restrictions on the capacities of self-contained supporter pens;

The opening of perimeter fence gates;

A review of the Safety Certificates held by all Football League grounds;

The creation of locally-based, multi-agency groups to advise on ground safety;

Constant monitoring of crowd density by the police and stewards.

I never understand this whole debate. Terraces did not disappear after Hillsborough, they are still widely used in the lower leagues and all of us have stood safely on them in recent years.....sure crowds might be smaller in general but a full terrace at Crawley when Pompey or other big team is in town is surely no different.

It's almost as though what happens in the Premier league is all the matters??!!

Terracing isn't dangerous per se....and certainly not if you use modern versions like rail terracing

• 6 months later...

Installation of rail seats costs about 4 times installation of standard plastic seats.

So for us to get them we'd have to rip out the plastic seats and then pay four times as much to replace them. Doesn't sound like an odds on shot to me

We'd hardly need that many really.

Installation of rail seats costs about 4 times installation of standard plastic seats.

So for us to get them we'd have to rip out the plastic seats and then pay four times as much to replace them. Doesn't sound like an odds on shot to me

I'd be interested to see what it would do to attendances if we tried it in a stand, RRE or Chaddy would make sense although the Main Stand might be an option if we're knocking it down anyway.

I think attendances would improve although how significantly is difficult to tell. From my experience it makes the match much more of a social experience and adds a positive buzz around the stand.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

I'd be interested to see what it would do to attendances if we tried it in a stand, RRE or Chaddy would make sense although the Main Stand might be an option if we're knocking it down anyway.

I think attendances would improve although how significantly is difficult to tell. From my experience it makes the match much more of a social experience and adds a positive buzz around the stand.

Attendances would definitely improve.

We're dying for something to differentiate us from the Manchester clubs apart from the fact we're :censored:e and they're not (I am enjoying watching this United slump, must be said).

Standing at games would be that difference. Will attract young fans to the ground as will without a doubt.

I think it would have to be the Chaddy lower tier.

Attendances would definitely improve.

We're dying for something to differentiate us from the Manchester clubs apart from the fact we're :censored:e and they're not (I am enjoying watching this United slump, must be said).

Standing at games would be that difference. Will attract young fans to the ground as will without a doubt.

I think it would have to be the Chaddy lower tier.

It doesn't attract that many to Rochdale games and they play better football than us...

We'd hardly need that many really.

But however many/few we need, it would cost 4 times as much as installing a seat. So the club should actually charge extra for standing.

Would people pay extra?

(Dave_Og - any figures for typical cost?)

But however many/few we need, it would cost 4 times as much as installing a seat. So the club should actually charge extra for standing.

Would people pay extra?

(Dave_Og - any figures for typical cost?)

I'd pay more to stand. Although crowdfunding would surely be an option, like someone else said.

Guest nonaenever

Haven't had chance to read all this but perhaps a sensible option is that when the time comes to demolish the Main Stand (rumours have circulated for a while) then replace it with a terraced standing paddock, with numbers strictly limited for safety purposes (don't think numbers will be an issue for many a year or big cup games).

This kills 2 birds with one stone:-

1) Satisfies the perceived wish of fans

2) Ensures you can easily build a new paddock within the "footprint" of the demolished Main Stand (would be much more difficult to build a new seated stand again due to the little room available for infrastructure because of houses on the road behind the stand).