Propose a motion for 2016/17

Please forgive me if you think I'm jumping the gun slightly, as the loose ends for this season haven't yet been tied up, however I thought it might be worth raising the topic of a genuine promotion and relegation for next season, using positions from this season's final table to decide on league. New entrants join the bottom league.

Maybe someone could do a votey thing to canvass opinion, however as with the exchange below, I feel it would make the whole league more interesting if everyone had something to play for up until the end. There are lots of people that give up after a few weeks and/or miss a week here and there because there is less incentive to predict. I feel it might encourage numbers to grow beyond the present 30-odd too. Bristolatic, Stevie_J and his kids might not thank me for saying this, but it would be great to get to 3 or even 4 leagues.

Whether for now a 20-team top league, or two evenly sized leagues, genuine play-offs for positions 3-6 in the Championship [administered by a count back for predictions against the teams who genuinely make the play-offs] free entry to the Subscription league for the winner of the Free to play league sounds like a good idea too.

.....hmmmmm.... a genuine promotion and relegation from a league system would spice things up a bit for everyone wouldn't they?

The current system sees those without chance of finishing in the Top 4 of the Prem with little to play for for quite some time [cue 24hours jumping in with a comment about my, rudemedic or rosa's current plight].

I guess there would need to be prizes for all leagues.... but could this not be a goer next season....?

I agree with this suggestion. Top 20 in the Prem, all other professionals in the Championship. Separate prizes for both leagues, play-offs for your Championship try-hards, and one relegation to the amateurs to replace whoever wins that league. If you come bottom of the Championship, you have to pay double the next year for readmission, similar to the bribes system that got Rochdale off the hook so many times.

Edited by lookersstandandy

Please forgive me if you think I'm jumping the gun slightly, as the loose ends for this season haven't yet been tied up, however I thought it might be worth raising the topic of a genuine promotion and relegation for next season, using positions from this season's final table to decide on league. New entrants join the bottom league.

Maybe someone could do a votey thing to canvass opinion, however as with the exchange below, I feel it would make the whole league more interesting if everyone had something to play for up until the end. There are lots of people that give up after a few weeks and/or miss a week here and there because there is less incentive to predict. I feel it might encourage numbers to grow beyond the present 30-odd too. Bristolatic, Stevie_J and his kids might not thank me for saying this, but it would be great to get to 3 or even 4 leagues.

Whether for now a 20-team top league, or two evenly sized leagues, genuine play-offs for positions 3-6 in the Championship [administered by a count back for predictions against the teams who genuinely make the play-offs] free entry to the Subscription league for the winner of the Free to play league sounds like a good idea too.

Seconded.

I thought the 20 points for attendance worked quite well this season having been sceptical. It's not as much of a fluke as guessing about non-Oldham matters.

We've toyed with this idea before but wondered whether people might be put off taking part if they didn't make it to the top league. At the end of the day, the point is to raise some money for Playershare/charity and have a bit of fun and bantz and all that, so attracting as many people as possible is important.

I do like the sound of your playoff idea - Pete probably doesn't like the idea of scoring it up though!

We'll give it some thought. At the moment I'm just intrigued to know where the league title is going for this season.

And then I'll have to decide whether I can be arsed running a Euros competition.

We've toyed with this idea before but wondered whether people might be put off taking part if they didn't make it to the top league. At the end of the day, the point is to raise some money for Playershare/charity and have a bit of fun and bantz and all that, so attracting as many people as possible is important.....

....last season was my first and I can honestly say - because I was bobbing around bottom end of Premier/Top of Champ - I was less engaged than this season when for a while I was in the Top 4....

....if you're trying to stave off relegation or trying to get promoted, there is more riding on it, so naturally it's more fun.... plus it might encourage different mini bantz, instead of always being bored stiff listening to 24 hours prattle on about something or other...

....last season was my first and I can honestly say - because I was bobbing around bottom end of Premier/Top of Champ - I was less engaged than this season when for a while I was in the Top 4....

....if you're trying to stave off relegation or trying to get promoted, there is more riding on it, so naturally it's more fun.... plus it might encourage different mini bantz, instead of always being bored stiff listening to 24 hours prattle on about something or other...

You make a good case, jedi.

I'm with yoo Boo Boo. I think it's doable so I'll have a shuftie at how I can best do it. After all, I've got three months to do it in.

I am all for keeping people interested until the final whistle of the season. I would support a promotion and relegation system next season.

I am not a fan of play offs.

If it is 2 up, 2 down. The bottom 2 go down, and the top 2 go up at the final whistle of the season.

Looking at having 2 (or 3) divisions I see the following pros & cons.

Pros

Genuine interest of more players towards the end of the season.

Potentially more banter between players

Cons

Potentially more work for the administrators

The top points scorer could be in the 2nd or 3rd division, and feel a bit miffed.

Relegated players may not join the following season (although I think this unlikely)

This season we had 33 “professionals” and 9 “amateurs”. I first thought we could have 3 divisions so that more players would have interest up to the final whistle. Say, 12+12+9. On reflection though, I think 12 in a division is too small. Some players this season (Stevie J is one) have had a league position range of over 13. Therefore I would support 2 “professional” divisions.

I like the idea of the top “amateur” getting a free entry into the “professional” league.

I entered the 'amateur' ranks rather late in the season this year, but am contemplating going 'pro' next season.

How can I get in, or is it a closed shop (in true masonic style and do I need to learn a special handshake)?

Do I have to start right at the bottom?

How do i pay, and how much is it?

The top points scorer could be in the 2nd or 3rd division, and feel a bit miffed....

....it should give them confidence that in theory they can rocket to the top of the division above without too much difficulty..... however, as well all know, there are times when you're scoring points for fun and others when you're as dry as the sahara.... it would make it more fun to see someone get promoted and then struggle the following season with the increase in tactics [disjointed's 1-1 predicting for about 75% of games for example] & mind games, or just as much fun to see 24 hours have a bad season, get relegated and end up plying his trade in the championship. That all important 20 pointer that we've seen from HarryBosch and Rosa this season might mean that little bit more come helicopter day.

How can I get in...... and how much is it?

Simple. £10 and you're in - Stevie collects the dosh around August time.

Maybe the division you start in is dictated by points scored last season, so anyone from the amateurs wanting to go pro has their points tally as the determining factor for division?

Maybe the division you start in is dictated by points scored last season, so anyone from the amateurs wanting to go pro has their points tally as the determining factor for division?

Thanks

....it should give them confidence that in theory they can rocket to the top of the division above without too much difficulty..... however, as well all know, there are times when you're scoring points for fun and others when you're as dry as the sahara.... it would make it more fun to see someone get promoted and then struggle the following season with the increase in tactics [disjointed's 1-1 predicting for about 75% of games for example] & mind games, or just as much fun to see 24 hours have a bad season, get relegated and end up plying his trade in the championship. That all important 20 pointer that we've seen from HarryBosch and Rosa this season might mean that little bit more come helicopter day.

75% Andy? It was nearer 95%. It was a 1 season tactic anyway. As it turned out I finished in about the same position I always do.

They same imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and certain posters used the 1-1 (0-0) quite regularly as I am sure you are well aware.

75% Andy? It was nearer 95%. It was a 1 season tactic anyway. As it turned out I finished in about the same position I always do.

They same imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and certain posters used the 1-1 (0-0) quite regularly as I am sure you are well aware.

I'm not criticising, merely observing..... it served you well until Shez returned. It was a tactic I employed on many an occasion myself too.

I'm researching moneyball style over the summer and hope to come back better armed for next season.

This might be the only way to do it - fair play - but points in the stiffs league are plenty easier to come by than points in the pro league. Everyone knows that.

This might be the only way to do it - fair play - but points in the stiffs league are plenty easier to come by than points in the pro league. Everyone knows that.

Quite. Which is why the whole promotion / relegation factor adds that extra dimension. Player A racks up big points in the Championship when competing with the likes of Zorrro..... but finds it that much harder once the mind games begin a division above.

Quite. Which is why the whole promotion / relegation factor adds that extra dimension. Player A racks up big points in the Championship when competing with the likes of Zorrro..... but finds it that much harder once the mind games begin a division above.

Wouldn't mind just a little bit of reciprocal support on the other thread, by the way. A joke's a joke, but do you really want the prediction league going down the tubes?

Wouldn't mind just a little bit of reciprocal support on the other thread, by the way. A joke's a joke, but do you really want the prediction league going down the tubes?

Do we know if it's material yet though? If it is, I might review my stance.... otherwise I'm just a by-stander waiting for the details to be published.

It's a bit like being given a yellow card for a foul, where you believe you took the ball before the man. I'll have a look at the video evidence when it's available, before deciding whether to appeal.

Do we know if it's material yet though? If it is, I might review my stance.... otherwise I'm just a by-stander waiting for the details to be published.

It's a bit like being given a yellow card for a foul, where you believe you took the ball before the man. I'll have a look at the video evidence when it's available, before deciding whether to appeal.

I honesty haven't a clue. I reckon 24hours might have sneaked it anyway. If not, Millwall winning the playoffs should see him home.

We've toyed with this idea before but wondered whether people might be put off taking part if they didn't make it to the top league. At the end of the day, the point is to raise some money for Playershare/charity and have a bit of fun and bantz and all that, so attracting as many people as possible is important.

:censored: off - it's far more serious than that.