First Division Days 1991-92

Have just watched this.... I wasn't aware that the 22 teams of the 1991-92 first division voted 12 to 10 for BSkyB over itv for the TV rights - in effect by 1 vote - when Alan Sugar was chairman of Spurs and whose Amstrad company had begun (and still do) making BSkyB's TV boxes. I wonder who we (Ian Stott) voted for? - I might have a pick through some old programmes to see if I can find out.....!?!

Not sure it's the same vote but I'm sure we chose for thr premier league I remember being gutted. A bit like Brexit

Yeh, different vote.... this one was for the TV rights only.... I remember walking down Matt Busby way en route to our Division 1 away game on a midweek evening early in that season - Craig Fleming made his debut, David Currie missed a sitter, we were really comfortable, until they (Brian McClair) piked a winner late on (luckiest team on the planet that Manure side) - and there were petitions being signed against formation of the breakaway league. I was 14. I said my old man, what's that about? He said, the big clubs will get richer and small clubs poorer. How right he was.

Have just watched this.... I wasn't aware that the 22 teams of the 1991-92 first division voted 12 to 10 for BSkyB over itv for the TV rights - in effect by 1 vote - when Alan Sugar was chairman of Spurs and whose Amstrad company had begun (and still do) making BSkyB's TV boxes. I wonder who we (Ian Stott) voted for? - I might have a pick through some old programmes to see if I can find out.....!?!

Bit of a sidetrack, Sugar sold Amstrad to Sky in 2007 (£125m) and left in 2008.

Trying to remember why I didn't get a ticket for the Old Trafford game that season and I think it was because season ticket holders could either use their voucher for Anfield or Old Trafford is that right? I remember watching us at Anfield but I think we only got around 3000 for each fixture.

I had an Amstrad double-decker video recorder - a fantastic invention! I used to record the late night ITV Football League goals programme, and then edit from it the goals from each Latics match onto the other video recorder. I still have the video cassette with goals from every game over several seasons.

Trying to remember why I didn't get a ticket for the Old Trafford game that season and I think it was because season ticket holders could either use their voucher for Anfield or Old Trafford is that right? I remember watching us at Anfield but I think we only got around 3000 for each fixture.

That's correct. Having used voucher 'A' for Liverpool, we had to get tickets via a United fan in with the home fans. It wasn't the best place to be when we protested vehemently about the late Latics 'goal' disallowed wrongly for offside. I would never go in there again!

Voucher 'A' was still valid for the Forest away game, but eventually tickets went on open sale.

Yeh, different vote.... this one was for the TV rights only.... I remember walking down Matt Busby way en route to our Division 1 away game on a midweek evening early in that season - Craig Fleming made his debut, David Currie missed a sitter, we were really comfortable, until they (Brian McClair) piked a winner late on (luckiest team on the planet that Manure side) - and there were petitions being signed against formation of the breakaway league. I was 14. I said my old man, what's that about? He said, the big clubs will get richer and small clubs poorer. How right he was.

wasnt that the league cup game at manure ? one and only time i ever went to that :censored:hole

Not sure it's the same vote but I'm sure we chose for thr premier league I remember being gutted. A bit like Brexit

Im not so sure. I'm sure i read somewhere that us and Swindon were the only teams to object to begin with but were then subsequently talked round. Could be wrong like.

....we had to get tickets via a United fan in with the home fans.

This always used to amuse me back then.... you'd meet an armchair red - they're like rats, you're never more than 6 feet from one - who'd never set foot inside Old Trafford, who would protest that they were red through & through and would be going home and away if it weren't for the fact you couldn't get a ticket, oh woe is me for supporting the biggest club in the Milky Way. F*ck off, Diego Sideburns managed to get one so I don't see why you can't. Dirty red b@stards.

Edited by lookersstandandy

This always used to amuse me back then.... you'd meet an armchair red - they're like rats, you're never more than 6 feet from one - who'd never set foot inside Old Trafford, who would protest that they were red through & through and would be going home and away if it weren't for the fact you couldn't get a ticket, oh woe is me for supporting the biggest club in the Milky Way. F*ck off, Diego Sideburns managed to get one three so I don't see why you can't. Dirty red b@stards.

FTFY. :)

No, we lost than one 2-0... I think that was the first time Kanchelskis tore out left side apart. He did it twice more, once at BP and then in the FA Cup S/F replay in 94.

Latics lost 1-0 to a McClair goal in the 85th minute. Then came the wrongly disallowed equaliser, with Reds laughing at us. One of several injustices suffered at their hands!

That's correct. Having used voucher 'A' for Liverpool, we had to get tickets via a United fan in with the home fans. It wasn't the best place to be when we protested vehemently about the late Latics 'goal' disallowed wrongly for offside. I would never go in there again!

Voucher 'A' was still valid for the Forest away game, but eventually tickets went on open sale.

Yeah I went to both and remember siting with Utd fans at Old Trafford. There was one animal behind us shouting racist abuse at Earl Barrett because he had Hughes in his pocket all game. Turned out to be in the police!!! fkn scum bags!

I also remeber a friend of my das having an extra tkt that he was willing to sell outside Old Trafford.

This bloke is there asking for spare tkts (there were loads doing the same) He agreed price and was just about to hand over when he qickly said 'oh I forgot, who do you support? United was the reply

Quick as a flash he snatches the tkt back & told him to F Off as he wasnt selling to scum fans. he rather keep it!

the lads face was pricless!

'

The crowd was just over 42000, and I don't know how but I got tickets easily enough for all three of those first three away games at Liverpool, OT and Forest.

As has been mentioned one of the overriding memories of the Utd game was David Currie bottling out of a challenge when he could have scored close in. Don't think he was ever forgiven by those that saw it.

The crowd was just over 42000, and I don't know how but I got tickets easily enough for all three of those first three away games at Liverpool, OT and Forest.

As has been mentioned one of the overriding memories of the Utd game was David Currie bottling out of a challenge when he could have scored close in. Don't think he was ever forgiven by those that saw it.

The bottled challenge was from Schmeichel.

first half, right in front of the Latics fans. if he was braver he would have got to it a yard before Schmeichel.

Latics lost 1-0 to a McClair goal in the 85th minute. Then came the wrongly disallowed equaliser, with Reds laughing at us. One of several injustices suffered at their hands!

That's right, we lost 1-0 in the league game and 2-0 in the Rumbelows Cup that same season..... and they went onto reach the final, where John Sheridan won it for Sheff Weds.

It was the Rumbelows Cup game that Kanchelskis tore us [Andy Barlow to be specific] a new backside.....

Edited by lookersstandandy

One of several injustices suffered at their hands!

Right, lets list 'em.... I went to every one of these games....

1989/90 FA Cup (N) 3-3. Unlucky or Injustice, call it what you want. We should've won it, we were the better side.

1989/90 FA Cup replay (N) 1-2. Definite Injustice. Nick Henry's goal.

1991/92 Div 1 (A). 0-1. Injustice. Disallowed goal, Currie bottling it. Late Winner again.

1991/92 Rumbelows Cup (A) 0-2. Fair enough. Kanchelskis ruined us.

1991/92 Div 1 (H) 3-6. This looks worse than it was. We played really well, Kanchelskis had another blinder and Irwin scored twice, one a worldy of a free kick.

1992/93 PL (A). 0-3. We were awful that day. I seem to remember Ian Olney missing our only chance.

1993/93 PL (H). 1-0. Neil Adams. Probably the only time we got the rub of the green.

1993/94 PL (H). 2-5. Again, this looks worse than it was.... we had them at 2-2 and were committing for a winner.... and then at 2-3 an equaliser.... and just got caught on the break.

1993/94 PL(A). 2-3. Sean McCarthy's wonder goal. Very unlucky not to come away with a point from this game.

1993/94 FA Cup (N) 1-1. Injustice, Injustice. Injustice.

1993/94 FA Cup replay (N) 1-4. Kanchelskis murdered us again.

All in all, I count 4 injustices, 2 unlucky's vs 1 marginally unlucky for them and 3 fair results..... and some Latics fans ask me why I hate them and am ambivalent towards City.... we used to turn City over left, right and centre.