Northampton Away

Guest oa exile

There wasn't much there to eat to be honest, thank god for the free garlic bread or else I'd have starved today!

Thought the ground was quite decent really, surprised there wasn't many admission dodgers on the hill behind the stand. The fans to the left of us were quite noisy until we were in the lead the "You're not famous anymore" and "that is why you're staying down" chants were quite funny.

Chickers got us out of the car park in record time as well, no queueing in there for 45 minutes and no queueing in traffic on the M6 unlike certain others :clown:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, he may not be as good as Wellens or Gary Mac, but I really wish people would get off his back.

I heard a few moaning today when the teams were read out, now that, right at the start is out of order, not even been given chance to make a mistake, lol.

I know for some reason, we always seem to have a scapegoat, but today, I think he played quite well.

He did what was needed, doesnt do as much as Wellens, but what he needed to do, he did it well.

That's a fair comment. It's hardly worth getting on his back before a ball is kicked, plus (realistically) who else is there to deputise if Mac or Wellens is missing?

If we'd have gone down yesterday and he didn't pull his weight well fair enough, as it happens he may not have set the world alight - but he filled the gap.

Guest oa_exile

I would have personally thought about putting Gregan in midfield and using Haining and Stam at the back.

IMO , Rocky is not up to the job :blink:

I would have personally thought about putting Gregan in midfield and using Haining and Stam at the back.

IMO , Rocky is not up to the job :blink:

That's an option, but moving a defender albeit a seasoned one, up into the midfield would've put Rockys nose out of joint. I've just looked at his soccerbase.com stats, and since his first match at Barnsley in 2003 he's started a little over 50 professional games. At 25 years of age that's not good at all - his confidence must be wrecked.

Guest oa_exile
That's an option, but moving a defender albeit a seasoned one, up into the midfield would've put Rockys nose out of joint. I've just looked at his soccerbase.com stats, and since his first match at Barnsley in 2003 he's started a little over 50 professional games. At 25 years of age that's not good at all - his confidence must be wrecked.

Getting to think your a bit of a Rocky fan <_<

We are paying the big bucks on wages for Gregan and Stam is a proven class Centre Half , our squad is not big enough to carry passengers.It makes sense :blink:

Getting to think your a bit of a Rocky fan <_<

We are paying the big bucks on wages for Gregan and Stam is a proven class Centre Half , our squad is not big enough to carry passengers.It makes sense :blink:

Not a Rocky fan as such, more of an anti anti-rocky fan, if you catch my drift!! :smiley2:

We're really not the kind of club to have depth in every postition - look at our forward line - it's flimsy. Our squad isn't big enough, I agree with that - and maybe for that reason I wouldn't have commited 5 defenders playing fromt the start -I dunno. Does that make sense? We all saw Butcher getting lambasted, Paul Reid, Forbes - Butcher was a neurotic mess! There's no point giving him a hard time if we're in the position that we are - second. We've got a decent starting 11, and a few half decent subs. We've established that. Out of those subs there's Rocky. Sometimes he does a job, more often than not he plays the grey man, blends into the background of the match and the game passes him by. That's about your lot for Rocky - agreed. But give him an opportunity and allow him to take it, he's started 8 games this season Butcher started 30 odd - give him a chance!

;)

Guest oa_exile
Not a Rocky fan as such, more of an anti anti-rocky fan, if you catch my drift!! :smiley2:

We're really not the kind of club to have depth in every postition - look at our forward line - it's flimsy. Our squad isn't big enough, I agree with that - and maybe for that reason I wouldn't have commited 5 defenders playing fromt the start -I dunno. Does that make sense? We all saw Butcher getting lambasted, Paul Reid, Forbes - Butcher was a neurotic mess! There's no point giving him a hard time if we're in the position that we are - second. We've got a decent starting 11, and a few half decent subs. We've established that. Out of those subs there's Rocky. Sometimes he does a job, more often than not he plays the grey man, blends into the background of the match and the game passes him by. That's about your lot for Rocky - agreed. But give him an opportunity and allow him to take it, he's started 8 games this season Butcher started 30 odd - give him a chance!

;)

Gregan has played much of his career in midfield before Leeds , so its not as though we would be playing five defenders.....IMO and what the :unsure: do i know :P

Gregan has played much of his career in midfield before Leeds , so its not as though we would be playing five defenders.....IMO and what the :unsure: do i know :P

I see your point of view but I meant commit 5 payroll defenders not play them with a 5 at the back. Like you said, what the hell do I/we know. Shez is the man - as Homer Simpson says: "He'll know what to do!"

homerladee8ao.jpg

I see your point of view but I meant commit 5 payroll defenders not play them with a 5 at the back. Like you said, what the hell do I/we know. Shez is the man - as Homer Simpson says: "He'll know what to do!"

homerladee8ao.jpg

I thought about this last night and the only reason I can think of is all three c/defs on the pitch at the same time doesn't leave any cover. With Rocky, the more pitch time he gets he improves. He is not 'a Wellens' or 'Macca'. He's a Rocky, he disrupts the opposition midfield. He doesn't go box to box, he's more get in their way. We don't have the finances for anything else. The bottom line is did we win yesterday? Yes.

Rocky had a good game yesterday. Several though were just waiting for him to make a mistake. Towards the end, it changed more to sarcastic comments like "well done Rocky, just pass it backwards to Wellens again".

That is what he did yesterday. He broke up play and then made a simple pass which meant that Wellens could dictate the game. Had McDonald played and had one of his off-days (there have been a few recently), then we would have seen a totally different outcome since both Taylor and Liddell were ineffective.

I'll welcome Macca back on Saturday as he offers more attacking options and has that extra bit of class. For me though, Rocastle did a great job yesterday and away from home, he adds a great deal to what can be a flimsy midfield.

Horses for courses.

Rocky had a good game yesterday. Several though were just waiting for him to make a mistake. Towards the end, it changed more to sarcastic comments like "well done Rocky, just pass it backwards to Wellens again".

That is what he did yesterday. He broke up play and then made a simple pass which meant that Wellens could dictate the game. Had McDonald played and had one of his off-days (there have been a few recently), then we would have seen a totally different outcome since both Taylor and Liddell were ineffective.

I'll welcome Macca back on Saturday as he offers more attacking options and has that extra bit of class. For me though, Rocastle did a great job yesterday and away from home, he adds a great deal to what can be a flimsy midfield.

Horses for courses.

Good-Post.gif

How can you give Rocastle 4? I'm not going to suggest he was the best player on the pitch but he did more than Taylor, Eardley, Charlton and yet they got 7? Rocastle is a defensive midfield player and he did his job well yesterday. He broke up the play and played an easy pass which allowed to Wellens to play to his strengths and get forward more and he completely controlled the midfield. Had McDonald been playing then Wellens wouldnt have had as much freedom as he would have been playing a more defensive game and so is not as effective. I personally think McDonald is a better played than Rocastle but playing Rocastle enabled us to have a much more effective Richie Wellens. How did Gregan get 8? yes he had a decent enough game but both he and Haining were caught out by their quick forward, number 8 i think he was called Kirk. I ran into Haining at a service station after the game and he himself said it wasn't a brilliant performance after i had said well done etc to him.

Guest oa_exile
How can you give Rocastle 4? I'm not going to suggest he was the best player on the pitch but he did more than Taylor, Eardley, Charlton and yet they got 7? Rocastle is a defensive midfield player and he did his job well yesterday. He broke up the play and played an easy pass which allowed to Wellens to play to his strengths and get forward more and he completely controlled the midfield. Had McDonald been playing then Wellens wouldnt have had as much freedom as he would have been playing a more defensive game and so is not as effective. I personally think McDonald is a better played than Rocastle but playing Rocastle enabled us to have a much more effective Richie Wellens. How did Gregan get 8? yes he had a decent enough game but both he and Haining were caught out by their quick forward, number 8 i think he was called Kirk. I ran into Haining at a service station after the game and he himself said it wasn't a brilliant performance after i had said well done etc to him.

Good honest post !......BUT ! :sign0094: ......"I ran into Haining at a service station after the game".....careful with our central defender's :sign0068:

fortunately i wasn't in ma car at the time! I was queueing at Burger King for my tea :unsure:

He said he thought it was a rubbish game (from what i understood, he has a strong glasgow accent!!) i didnt think it was that bad, no the most of exciting but i've sat through much worse games than that in the last few years!

Why upset the defence? Gregan marshalls the backline (let's face it, with a mute keeper someone has to). Yes we have the ideal fall back in Stam, but we'd miss Gregan at the back - I would only disrupt that defence if I absolutely had to.

As Inspiral said Rocky had a good game yesterday, especially second half. He was a presence, constantly disrupting them and distributing sensibly (though I can see why some call him the crab... :grin: ).

It was one of those dirty wins we have to get away from home if we're going to go up. Trust us to do it the hard way and have to hang on at the end having all but snuffed them out at 3-1. :blink:

Ascot - I'm guessing you might have got the point by now, but you really must have been watching a different game, or be so utterly blinded by your dislike of Rocastle you can't credit a decent performance when you see one.

I think what the players are now (hopefully) realising is that we can't expect to dominate teams from start to finish as we have done a good few times this season - and when it's not all going our way we have to compete and win dirty. From that point of view, it was an invaluable 3 points.

I thought he did well. Shez wouldn't have asked him to go spraying the ball around the pitch - we have Wellens for that.

His job was to break up play and get the ball so that Wellens could do his job. He did it effectively and proved an adequate replacement on Gary Mac's week off.

We could have Makelele in that role (all he does is break up play and pass it sideways) and people would still moan.

There always has to be someone doesn't there. He did well, we won and it's another three points for us.

Why upset the defence? Gregan marshalls the backline (let's face it, with a mute keeper someone has to). Yes we have the ideal fall back in Stam, but we'd miss Gregan at the back - I would only disrupt that defence if I absolutely had to.

As Inspiral said Rocky had a good game yesterday, especially second half. He was a presence, constantly disrupting them and distributing sensibly (though I can see why some call him the crab... :grin: ).

Spot on.

Our defence generally works well - and changing it doesn't make sense.

Roy Castle (as we refer to him) is dependable and has generally done OK when he has been asked to. He is not first choice, but he does well enough (what is our points haul when he plays? Don't know, but I bet its decent enough).

Unfortunately the boo-boys have targetted him and they will boo him irrespective of his performances. I hope he doesn't listen to them.