OWTB Prediction League 2017/18

Stevie_J

Bristolatic and I have had our pre-season meeting and decided on keeping pretty much the same format but to make some very minor tweaks to the point scoring system.

The first change has been mentioned before now - partial predictions will be counted, insofar as they are complete, so long as they are a possible outcome of the game (no hedgebetting, as covered elsewhere in the rules).  So if you forget to include a half-time score prediction, you can obviously not score any points for the HT score but you can still score points for the remainder of your prediction.

The only other change is that if the first Latics goal is awarded as an own goal, the first Latics goalscorer prediction will rollover to the next Latics goal in the game (if Latics score another goal).  And that's it.  Apologies for anyone who was hoping for wholesale changes.

Entry is £10 for the season, to be paid via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (note the underscore - may be best to copy and paste the address and please leave your OWTB username in the PayPal message box) or PM me for account details for BACS transfer. Entry fees must be paid by kick-off of the first game of the season. Half of the fees will be used as a prize fund, and the remainder will go to PlayerShare/charity.

The league will be split into divisions (a Premier League of 20 predictors, based on last season's league positions and relegations/promotions), and the exact set up of rest will depend on the number of players who sign up, with places determined based on the following (in order of priority):

•     position in last season's league;
  •     new players, on a first come, first served basis.

Prizes will be the same in each division, i.e. the prize for winning Division One will be the same as the prize for winning Division Two, that way everyone has the opportunity to pick up the same prize regardless of the division they are in.

At end of this season there will be promotions, relegations and playoffs, as there was last season (the exact set up of which I'll confirm when we know the number of entrants).

The Cup competition will run again too, with a similar set up to last season.

As in previous seasons, there will be a thread for each Latics league fixture in the Prediction League forum. Players must post their predictions for the relevant fixture in the corresponding thread.

I will post a list of signed-up players ina thread in the prediction league forum, so if you have paid and don't appear in that list, please shout and we'll try to figure out what's gone amiss.

All of Latics' league games (but not cup games) will count in the Prediction League competition.

The League

I'll confirm the exact format as soon as possible after we know how many players we have but the hope is to have a reasonably even split across the divisions.

At the end of the season, the bottom three players in the Premier League will be relegated to the Championship. The top two players in the Championship will be promoted to the Premier League. The players finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th in the Championship will playoff for the final promotion spot.

The Playoffs

The playoffs will work as follows:

Players will be matched with the teams finishing in the same position as them in League One. For example, if Coventry finish third in League One and Scunthorpe finish sixth, then the players finishing third and sixth in the Prediction League Championship will playoff against each other over two legs by predicting the outcome of the Coventry v Scunthorpe playoff semi-final fixtures. The same will apply to fourth and fifth positions for the corresponding League One teams/ Prediction League players. The first leg predictions will be posted in a dedicated thread as usual.  Second leg predictions will be sent to me by PM and I will post them hidden and display them after kick-off (otherwise the leader from the first leg could mimic their opponent's second leg predictions to guarantee a win - something that only dawned on me after the event this time around).

The winning players will then playoff in a final, by predicting the outcome of the League One playoff final, the winner of which will be promoted to the Premier League.

However, in the (very unlikely?) event that Latics make the playoffs, ALL players in the playoff positions will predict Latics's playoff semi-final games and not the other semi final. The final will be based on predictions for the playoff final, regardless of whether Latics make the final.

For all playoff games involving Latics, first scorer prediction will be Latics first scorer (same as regular predictions). Where predicting on games not involving Latics, first scorer predictions will be for the first scorer of the game, regardless of the team.

In the event of a draw in the final, the winner will be determined by the closest attendance prediction, then by total points scored in the playoffs, then by previous attendance predictions if still level.

The Cup

The prediction league will include a cup competition, starting in the new year. The exact format of the cup will be confirmed, once we have established the number of players, but the competition will start with a group stage, followed by a knockout stage, through to a final. Players will be drawn against each other and their scores for a particular fixture will dictate which player wins. In the event of a draw in the knockout games, there will be a replay. In the event of another draw, the predictor with the closest attendance prediction in the replay will progress. In the very unlikely event that they remain tied, we will draw lots.

Prizes and Donations

The total fees will be distributed as follows:

Half to be used as a prize fund to be divided: 25% to the Premier League winner; 12.5% to the Premier League runner up; 25% to the Championship League winner; 12.5% to the Championship League runner-up; and 25% to the cup winner.

The other half of the pot, minus any fees, will be split equally as donations to PlayerShare and Dr Kershaw's Hospice.

Predictions

Players must predict the half-time score; the full-time score; first Latics goalscorer and the match attendance.

e.g. Rochdale 0-1 Latics (HT 0-0) - Davies - 3,331

Please keep the predictions in this format - it makes Bristolatic's life a lot easier when working on the league tables.

Predictions must be submitted by 10 minutes before the stated kick-off time (for example, if a given fixture is schedule to kick off at 15:00 then a prediction with a time stamp of 14:51 or later on the day on the game will not count); this is because games do occasionally kick-off slightly early. Predictions can also be edited up until the same point. Any prediction edited after that will not count. Predictions must be posted in the correct thread - it sounds simple and with the free game now gone, hopefully it will be, as there will only be one thread for each fixture.

In the event that a player posts more than one prediction for the same fixture, the first submitted prediction will be taken as that player's entry - it's worth keeping this in mind when fixtures are rearranged after a postponement!

For the avoidance of doubt, players cannot predict Latics to score in their result prediction and 'no scorer' in their scorer prediction for the same fixture. Similarly, players cannot predict that Latics will not score and name a first scorer. Nor can players predict a half-time score which does not align with the full time score (e.g. Latics to be 1-0 up at half-time and Latics to lose 1-0). Each full prediction should be a possible outcome of the match. Any predictions submitted which are contrary to this rule will not be counted.

Scoring

Scoring works as follows:

• Correct result (i.e. W,L or D) +2pts
  • Correct no. of goals for Latics +1pt;
  • Correct no. of goals for opposition +1pt;
  • Correct full-time score +2pts;
  • Correct half-time score +2pts;
  • First scorer +3pts;
  • Within 100 of attendance +3pts;
  • Within 10 of attendance +5pts;
  • Exact attendance +20pts;

No 'first goalscorer' points will be awarded if there is no goalscorer (even if you predict no goalscorer).

If you believe that there has been an error in scoring up predictions, please PM Bristolatic and/or me, rather than posting on the forums where it may be missed, and we will look into it.

Please sign up, if you have a spare tenner. The more players we have, the more interesting it gets in terms of prizes, a cup competition, etc. and the more PlayerShare and Dr Kershaw's stand to benefit.

Any problems/questions, give me a shout here, by PM or email. Cheers.

Massive thanks as always to Bristolatic for the substantial effort he puts into this, particularly producing the league tables, without which it just wouldn't work.

:chubb:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just trying to work out where you and Bristol met up for the meeting, I suppose halfway would be somewhere around BP. 

Looking forward to another season of being the nearly man, although it has a much better ring than being the nowhere man, come on Andy put some effort in this time.

13 hours ago, disjointed said:

Just trying to work out where you and Bristol met up for the meeting, I suppose halfway would be somewhere around BP. 

Looking forward to another season of being the nearly man, although it has a much better ring than being the nowhere man, come on Andy put some effort in this time.

They met in Costa in the Featherstall Road Tesco. Flown in by private jet using some of Ex_pat's dirty cash. 

7 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

They met in Costa in the Featherstall Road Tesco. Flown in by private jet using some of Ex_pat's dirty cash. 

Dirty cash?

They are bloody Aussie dollars mate!. You can buy loads of UK pounds with them since Brexit.

Rolling in it.

3 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

That's what we wanted you to think so that no moles could infiltrate the planning. We were actually in Costa's at Birch Services followed by rather tasty Krispy Kreme donuts. 

7 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

That's what we wanted you to think so that no moles could infiltrate the planning. We were actually in Costa's at Birch Services followed by rather tasty Krispy Kreme donuts. 

I knew it was you Bristol, thought better of saying hello as it looked a pretty important meeting.

On 30/06/2017 at 8:10 PM, Stevie_J said:

The league will be split into divisions (a Premier League of 20 predictors, based on last season's league positions and relegations/promotions), and the exact set up of rest will depend on the number of players who sign up, with places determined based on the following (in order of priority):

There were 21 teams in last years Prem - something I think retrospectively might've been a mistake - so in the event all 18 Prem teams who stayed in the prem enter.... and the 3 teams who were promoted from the Champ do the same, surely you're not considering relegating or not promoting someone who has won the right to compete in the top league?

6 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I was trying my damned hardest.... maybe I don't have what it takes.... but what is for certain, I at least have the bottle to enter, unlike some others we know.

Ladies and Gentlemen may I present to you the 2nd head of the Marquessate of Mediocrity your new Marquess of Mediocrity Lookersstandandy.

As we all know Marquesses outrank Counts, so you do still outrank the Count of Chickening Out

3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Ladies and Gentlemen may I present to you the 2nd head of the Marquessate of Mediocrity your new Marquess of Mediocrity Lookersstandandy.

As we all know Marquesses outrank Counts, so you do still outrank the Count of Chickening Out

:lol:

Right then Rude, lets have a little side bet on who wins the title, 'Marquess of Mediocrity'. Winner has his beer paid for at the final away game of the season?

Or are you as chicken as the king of chickens? a.k.a The cock!

Edited by lookersstandandy

21 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

There were 21 teams in last years Prem - something I think retrospectively might've been a mistake - so in the event all 18 Prem teams who stayed in the prem enter.... and the 3 teams who were promoted from the Champ do the same, surely you're not considering relegating or not promoting someone who has won the right to compete in the top league?

You may think my original post was hastily thrown together.  And you'd be right.  21 payers in the Premier League is right.  May look to make this a round 20 with the promotion/relegation format at the end of this season.

It is also possible that not all the Premier League players will take part again this season, so it could be possible to reduce the number to 20 without changing anyone's standing.

Maybe we need a closing date for entries a few days prior to the start of the season to ensure we get it right?

18 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Right then Rude, lets have a little side bet on who wins the title, 'Marquess of Mediocrity'. Winner has his beer paid for at the final away game of the season?

I've heard it all now, fighting to be the worst.

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

....you can join in n'all if you like.... seeing as you've achieved exactly the same as Rudeboy & I......! :tongue1:

Oh God. Here we go. The tyranny of low ambition. I'm out. My punditry services are withdrawn. To be fair, the pay wasn't what it is on the ex-cricketer circuit.

1 hour ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Oh God. Here we go. The tyranny of low ambition. I'm out. My punditry services are withdrawn. To be fair, the pay wasn't what it is on the ex-cricketer circuit.

Also, to be fair, I don't recall your "punditry" (I use the term loosely) being of any high standard. :tongue1: 

Just crack on and join the Championship so we can all see how good you really are. If you win automatic promotion, I will be the first to doff my metaphorical chapeau.

18 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Also, to be fair, I don't recall your "punditry" (I use the term loosely) being of any high standard. :tongue1: 

Just crack on and join the Championship so we can all see how good you really are. If you win automatic promotion, I will be the first to doff my metaphorical chapeau.

1 minute ago, Stevie_J said:

Jose's ready to return.

Fuck off the pair of ye.

21 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

1. How can beer be paid for without the result being known, it is of course quite feasible that it is still TBD on the last day.

2. Last away day is Northampton, which is a shocker for drinking. Plus if I go I might not be drinking as the trains are not great to Northampton from Manchester and the 7.30 pm finish probably won't be great too.

Can I therefore suggest winner has their entry paid for by the loser for the 2018/9 season?

Is it a case of whoever comes higher in the table is the winner? Or would winning the cup trump league?

If we can agree the terms then I'm in.

3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Is it a case of whoever comes higher in the table is the winner? Or would winning the cup trump league?

Hmmm.... originally I was thinking League position only..... but now you come to mention it, how about points for passage through each round of the cup;

Group 5

2nd round 10

Q/F 15

S/F 20

Winner 25

11 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Hmmm.... originally I was thinking League position only..... but now you come to mention it, how about points for passage through each round of the cup;

Group 5

2nd round 10

Q/F 15

S/F 20

Winner 25

Yep, sounds good points in league plus points in cup (with those being good enough) and loser pays for winner into next season. 

Judging on history I'll have the mini competition seen up by Valentine's Day.

12 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Group 5

2nd round 10

Q/F 15

S/F 20

Winner 25

So 5 points each it is.