LOTW - 5/7/07 - Frank Bunn

Stevie_J

lotwbunnix7.jpg

Welcome to the fifteenth Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's the six-goal, shovel-chinned wonder, Frankie Bunn.

We're looking for you, the OWTB members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

Frank was involved in my favourite goal ever scored at BP. He picked the ball up in midfield ran to the byline, crossed it in for Ritchie to score. Frank was never the most graceful of players but his sheer ballsoutness and commitment to the cause meant he clattered into the advertising boards in front of the old RRE. The rest of the team all ran to Frank to celebrate the goal as he had put the ball on a sixpence and anyone of our grannies would have scored.

That is my overiding memory of Frankie Bunn - a Latics Legend in every sense of the word. If only we had signed him earlier, I remember a stat in the programme that showed the table from the date we signed Frank and we were well clear. Such a shame injury robbed him (and us) of top flight football.

Thanks for the memories Frank.

The man who managed to steal the thunder from one of Ritchie's best ever goals, the cheeky get. My only up close and personal encounter with him was when he came within inches of running me over as he screeched up to the players entrance at about 2:57 on the day of the All Stars game. From my slightly emotional (and tired) recollections of that game he was the best on the pitch (OK, barring Waddle's showboating) that day and looked as fit as a fiddle, so I'd echo BT that it was a real shame he couldn't go on and have a full career in the game.

I got up close and personal to Frankie a couple of Seasons ago. I won the Strike it Lucky draw and got photographed with the great man at half-time!

He was a great goalscorer. I remember a period when he just didn't seem like he could miss. Great goal celebration too and it was fantastic to see him repeat that in The All-Stars Game. As Lees has said, he looked superbly fit that day and it must have crossed a few minds to ask him back as a Pro.

He played just before my time.

I posted under a different thread a few weeks ago about a Newcastle fan, who was my blurk at the time, coming to the Allstars game. All the players on the pitch (I was particularly impressed to see Waddle there), and he was so in awe, he had to phone his mate (another skunk) to brag that he was in the presence of the legend that is Frankie Bunn. He was very excited! From the sounds coming from the other end of the phone, his mate was actually very jealous!

To me, it's really something for a fan of another team to be in awe of one of our players (after all, we are only ickle unfashionable Oldham).

He played just before my time.

I posted under a different thread a few weeks ago about a Newcastle fan, who was my blurk at the time, coming to the Allstars game. All the players on the pitch (I was particularly impressed to see Waddle there), and he was so in awe, he had to phone his mate (another skunk) to brag that he was in the presence of the legend that is Frankie Bunn. He was very excited! From the sounds coming from the other end of the phone, his mate was actually very jealous!

To me, it's really something for a fan of another team to be in awe of one of our players (after all, we are only ickle unfashionable Oldham).

Before your time? Aren't you slightly older than me; must be the damaged brain cells!? I remember Frankie! He was the player I wanted to be when I was first running around the park in a Latics kit. Terrible shame that his career was cut short by injury.

I was gonna post on the Andy Barlow thread last week, but by coincidence it's very relevant here too. Both Frankie Bunn and Andy Barlow lived on the next street along from me in Uppermill when I was a kid.

This was before I really got into watching the Latics - in fact my first game was Frankie's testimonial. Me and my mates we would always walk past their houses whenever we were going for a kickabout (it was on the way to the nearest pitch) and my mates who were more avid fans at the time would always give them a chant as we went past. If either of them was out in their respective front gardens they'd always say hello and came across as really friendly.

When I was about 16 I was having a kickabout up at St. Chads school with various people when a bunch of kids came and gave us a game. Possibly the smallest kid there, can't have been more than about 9 years old, absolutely wiped the floor with every one of us. Turned out he was Frank Bunn's son.

Finally, a couple of years' later I was working part time during college delivering Kleeneze catalogues to the houses in my local area (I know, I became public enemy number 1 in the space of about 2 months!) Anyway, Frankie Bunn's wife put an order in. As she'd filled out the order form she put the telephone number as "Ex-Directory" :lol:

Before your time? Aren't you slightly older than me; must be the damaged brain cells!? I remember Frankie! He was the player I wanted to be when I was first running around the park in a Latics kit. Terrible shame that his career was cut short by injury.

I remember seeing him on telly for the cup runs, but didn't start going til 91-92 season - I'm pretty sure he'd gone by then!

Absolute legend, and my favourite player for a time. Remember one year they sold Frankie Bunnies...(blue soft toy rabbits) at easter in the club shop. 6 goals v Scarborough...League Cup record.."Bunn, he's done it, it's the record"...enough said.

Although possibly his worst moment for Latics, was in the league cup final and after watching the game weeks later (again and again) Bunn had hit a shot well wide and high (if i remember he wasn't fully fit!) and Jimmy Greaves said something like "oh dear Frankie, that was a very poor effort, and he doesn't look himself!" In front of millions oh eck Frankie.

I remember being "stood!!" :chaddy: at the back of the 'cold' chaddy end, standing, looking in amazement as his 5th went in. Fantastic memory in a few years that game!!

What tends to be forgotten is that Scarborough were the shock team of the League Cup's early rounds, having beaten Chelsea over two legs.

Little did they know what was waiting for them at BP that night. I talked to a Scarborough fan at work and I said to Mrs Sideburns on the way to Oldham that I fancied Latics to score six - I was wrong! :grin:

Frankie Frankie Frankie Frankie Frankie, Frankie Frankie Frankie Frankie Bunn, FRANKIE BUNN, Frankie Bunn, FRANKIE BUNN, Frankie Bunn....Woooooooooah! Let the goals do the talking, never forget 6 against the now defunct Scarborough. Always played with a smile. Top dude, played big part in our success. I have a 13 year old bun at home called Frankie in a presentation box. He is a little bit worse for wear these days but what a legend!