Latics v Oxford game chat 5/8/17

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Admittedly I didn't see the last twenty minutes but Banks wasn't the worst player on the pitch, the stick seems a bit unjustified.

Strange how I've not read anywhere how he started the game like a man possessed with numerous tackles drawing massive applause from the crowd......

Or maybe not so strange....

Better hope shez gets a couple in.

Ollie Banks...:lol:

The team is desperate for a creative midfielder, banks really is stealing a living and if he becomes a regular then we really are up shite creek.

PS From the first time i saw Green i just shook my head and muttered, really? 

Another plumber masquarading as a footballer.

3 minutes ago, rigsby said:

Better hope shez gets a couple in.

Ollie Banks...:lol:

The team is desperate for a creative midfielder, banks really is stealing a living and if he becomes a regular then we really are up shite creek.

PS From the first time i saw Green i just shook my head and muttered, really? 

Another plumber masquarading as a footballer.

Go and look at the career Paul Green has had and see if you still think that way.

Sorry but I just don't get what some people see in Green. His first touch is invariably away from goal; his passing is not great; his long passing is non-existent; he can't cross a ball and can't/won't shoot. His defensive work is OK but Fane does that job adequately and is 10 years younger. He will be one of our top earners and I think the money would be better spent on a more creative, younger player who may have some resale value. 

20 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Sorry but I just don't get what some people see in Green. His first touch is invariably away from goal; his passing is not great; his long passing is non-existent; he can't cross a ball and can't/won't shoot. His defensive work is OK but Fane does that job adequately and is 10 years younger. He will be one of our top earners and I think the money would be better spent on a more creative, younger player who may have some resale value. 

Last season when he played as poorly as he did on Saturday he tended to then be very good for 4 or 5 games...

18 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Green didn't put a foot right, Holloway awful, McLaughlin anonymous.

McLaughlin was much better when switched to the right after Green went off and got a bit of a kicking from the Oxford players for it. 

I think Holloway's very underated by a lot of Latics fans.  He had the ball lofted up to his head for 90 mins, despite the fact that Curtis Nelson, who was the best player on the pitch, won nigh on everything in the air.  It's no wonder he was frustrated.  He looked good on the rare occasions he received the ball at his feet.

I can only think that Sheridan insisted on the long ball stuff because he has no faith in his midfield players.  Credit where it's due, Banks made a decent tackle first half (to make up for losing the ball just before) and put in a lovely corner after about 30 mins.  Apart from that, he was shit.  Green contributed absolutely nothing.  If those two are regular starters this season, we're in for yet another relegation battle.  Oxford weren't world beaters but their midfield players, partcularly Payne, could pass intelligently to pull Latics players out of position.

I was disappointed with Obadeyi's cameo.  Seems to lack a football brain.  I saw Hunt shaking his head after Tope failed to make the overlap when he brought the ball forward.  Then Holloway ran to drag the defender away to allow Obadeyi the space to shoot and he left the ball for Holloway - by the time he eventually realised, he ended up rushing the shot and blasting it miles from goal.

Duffus, who should have come on earlier, looked promising.  Would like to see more of him.

20 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

McLaughlin was much better when switched to the right after Green went off and got a bit of a kicking from the Oxford players for it. 

I think Holloway's very underated by a lot of Latics fans.  He had the ball lofted up to his head for 90 mins, despite the fact that Curtis Nelson, who was the best player on the pitch, won nigh on everything in the air.  It's no wonder he was frustrated.  He looked good on the rare occasions he received the ball at his feet.

I can only think that Sheridan insisted on the long ball stuff because he has no faith in his midfield players.  Credit where it's due, Banks made a decent tackle first half (to make up for losing the ball just before) and put in a lovely corner after about 30 mins.  Apart from that, he was shit.  Green contributed absolutely nothing.  If those two are regular starters this season, we're in for yet another relegation battle.  Oxford weren't world beaters but their midfield players, partcularly Payne, could pass intelligently to pull Latics players out of position.

I was disappointed with Obadeyi's cameo.  Seems to lack a football brain.  I saw Hunt shaking his head after Tope failed to make the overlap when he brought the ball forward.  Then Holloway ran to drag the defender away to allow Obadeyi the space to shoot and he left the ball for Holloway - by the time he eventually realised, he ended up rushing the shot and blasting it miles from goal.

Duffus, who should have come on earlier, looked promising.  Would like to see more of him.

Pretty much bang on that.

Just now, deyres42 said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned the keepers positioning for the first goal...

I'm surprised so many people were impressed by him.  Thought he should have come charging out for the first.  I thought his positioning looked a questionable for the second, although I'm not sure had much chance anyway with the 'defending' in the build up to it.  He looked a bit ropey when making a couple of punches and only made one save of note.

1 minute ago, Stevie_J said:

I'm surprised so many people were impressed by him.  Thought he should have come charging out for the first.  I thought his positioning looked a questionable for the second, although I'm not sure had much chance anyway with the 'defending' in the build up to it.  He looked a bit ropey when making a couple of punches and only made one save of note.

I wasn't able to get to the game on Saturday so can't make a comment on the keeper based on my own opinion. But I did read a quote from Oxford's first goalscorer this morning saying that the keeper made the finish easier for him by moving to one side leaving a big gap at the near post.

3 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

We were expecting him to be shit. He wasn't. 

24 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

I counted 3 good stops, one excellent punch, a couple of good collections and better distribution and kicking than I have seen in the last two seasons from Coleman and Ripley.

Pretty good for reported 4th choice keeper from Cardiff, with little first team experience at this level.  Who did you expect, David dr Gea?

4 hours ago, robboman said:

What actually happened to trigger the handbags?  I'd switched off by then and only looked up when the crowd started shouting, to see McLaughlin push their chap (which I thought was a bit daft as he'd already been booked...).