Latics v Oxford game chat 5/8/17

10 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I don’t believe his starting XI would be without Gardner. Just he couldn’t use him today. And if it’s in place of Banks; then yes, he can make a lot of difference!

If we think Gardner is the answer to our problems we've got another thing coming. He'll be a better option than the current midfield, but we need some real quality. 

Payne for them yesterday was head and shoulders above anybody we had. There are a lot of sides in this league who have invested in that sort of player but we're lacking badly. Baxter would be ideal.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ideally we could do with both a decent holding midfielder would have nullified Payne yesterday.

Fane attempted to track him for a bit, but he was played totally out of position in an advanced role which he isn't capable of performing in. I don't know if that was under instruction but it was like playing three defensive mids yesterday and he still wasn't contained.

Get rid of Banks and stick Fane in there. He's truly garbage, and the faith which Shez shows in him to anchor the midfield worries me enormously. Why have we gone through a whole summer and we've still got a player of that standard starting?

14 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Fane attempted to track him for a bit, but he was played totally out of position in an advanced role which he isn't capable of performing in. I don't know if that was under instruction but it was like playing three defensive mids yesterday and he still wasn't contained.

Get rid of Banks and stick Fane in there. He's truly garbage, and the faith which Shez shows in him to anchor the midfield worries me enormously. Why have we gone through a whole summer and we've still got a player of that standard starting?

Makes you wonder who is making the signings.

2 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

Pass and move would be a start.  Oxford were always receiving the ball in space, latics always received the ball under pressure. 

The lack of movement from some players is appaling, at times it was like watching a line of traffic cones.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Oh that as well.

I don't think he has the scope to do what he wants though and wonder if he really wants half of the current squad.

You've questioned his style of football quite a lot during the summer though. We've got the personnel to play the physical style - maybe that's what he wants.

I'm sure there are some he'd like to offload but if we're talking about midfield, he's playing three in there when he doesn't even need to.

4 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

You've questioned his style of football quite a lot during the summer though. We've got the personnel to play the physical style - maybe that's what he wants.

I'm sure there are some he'd like to offload but if we're talking about midfield, he's playing three in there when he doesn't even need to.

I'm not sure where people have got this diamond thing from, just looked like 4-4-2 to me albeit with Green narrow.

All the talk through the summer was of a back 3, it's almost as if they've realised they haven't got the personnel to play it.

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

If we think Gardner is the answer to our problems we've got another thing coming. He'll be a better option than the current midfield, but we need some real quality. 

Payne for them yesterday was head and shoulders above anybody we had. There are a lot of sides in this league who have invested in that sort of player but we're lacking badly. Baxter would be ideal.

Payne was allowed to look head and shoulders above anyone. If we had played well in midfield and got a grip on it, I’d agree but the system and players employed was liking leaving an open gate for Payne to exploit us. I find it strange you think Gardner won’t suit us and massively improve us considering how poor Banks is and the fact he was highly sought after in the summer. Let’s wait and see. We do need another midfielder though...and a couple of wingers too IMO. Shez wanting Green and Brian Wilson to be supplying the crosses is a little mind boggling. 

With the collective experience and contacts within the hierarchy and coaching staff then surely that alone could secure us a loan signing from Prem or Championship?

Apologies for my Baxter obsession but you have a lad there who I suspect would happily come back to BP, Everton would allow us to have and we know what we're getting - a player light years ahead of what we had currently despite his baggage.  Centre of the park, number 10 role - the lad can do both and easily.

An arm around him from Shez, Wellens even Harbin would be advantageous for all parties including the player.

That #17 on one flank, McLaughlin on the other and we'd have the outlet to supply the strikers 

27 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Shez wanting Green and Brian Wilson to be supplying the crosses is a little mind boggling. 

Wilson starting over Dummigan at home did seem a bit unnecessarily defensive. 

56 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'm not sure where people have got this diamond thing from, just looked like 4-4-2 to me albeit with Green narrow.

All the talk through the summer was of a back 3, it's almost as if they've realised they haven't got the personnel to play it.

It was definitely a diamond. No idea where you're getting this narrow 4-4-2 from.

Surely we've got the options in defence for a back three. Why not blood one of the youths who've impressed if pace is required?

57 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Payne was allowed to look head and shoulders above anyone. If we had played well in midfield and got a grip on it, I’d agree but the system and players employed was liking leaving an open gate for Payne to exploit us. I find it strange you think Gardner won’t suit us and massively improve us considering how poor Banks is and the fact he was highly sought after in the summer. Let’s wait and see. We do need another midfielder though...and a couple of wingers too IMO. Shez wanting Green and Brian Wilson to be supplying the crosses is a little mind boggling. 

Gardner's departure was celebrated by a team who were relegated. Same club who celebrated Banks' leaving. Hope he does well but think the likelihood is he won't come near to massively improving us. There will have been few suiters for either beyond us, that's the reality of it. Payne is a Championship standard player, who will have been fought over during summer.

We need a creative midfielder so that we can put McLaughlin back on the wing and replace those who can't cross like you say.

4 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

It was definitely a diamond. No idea where you're getting this narrow 4-4-2 from.

Surely we've got the options in defence for a back three. Why not blood one of the youths who've impressed if pace is required?

McLaughlin never left the left-hand side from where I watched.

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

3 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

I think Fane is that player......a player at the side of him who is prepared to put a shift in would be a massive improvement.

I'm not a fan of the diamond as it doesn't pull the defenders out of position as much as wingers.

This goes back to what type of player we want Fane to be. If we want him to be a holding midfielder then he we have to say to him don't get beyond the ball and be tactically aware and sit infront of the back four which means he won't be doing any forward runs.

I actually think he would be best sat alongside a sitting midfield player in a midfield 2 in a 3-5-2 where he can play box to box. Allowing the number 10 and wing backs to get forward. A diamond doesn't suit him.

With Shez having been a great midfielder in his day I would have thought the middle of the park would be an area where we are strong, in actual fact we are weak as piss. Oxford cut through the middle time and again like a knife through butter without so much as a challenge going in.

Up front and at the back I think we'll be OK but only if he strengthens the midfield.

Dont know how but somehow we have to ship out Banks and Flynn and get a Baxter type in to feed the strikers and maybe Jon Welsh as a DM. I am hoping Gardner when he gets his chance improves our attacking threat because yesterday was just 'deja vu'

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

This goes back to what type of player we want Fane to be. If we want him to be a holding midfielder then he we have to say to him don't get beyond the ball and be tactically aware and sit infront of the back four which means he won't be doing any forward runs.

I actually think he would be best sat alongside a sitting midfield player in a midfield 2 in a 3-5-2 where he can play box to box. Allowing the number 10 and wing backs to get forward. A diamond doesn't suit him.

He's not good enough to get forwards. He's imposing and will run past a man but he can't do anything with the ball.