Latics v Oxford game chat 5/8/17

Bad... very bad... Davies and Holloway can't play together, Flynn an embarrassment of a sub - for all the stick Banks gets at least he didn't shy away from trying to play a ball.

Early days, but come on Shez, players where they belong please!

Time to work on plan B, passing.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Oafc1895 said:

McLaughlin was the only one looking to go forward, but couldn't deliver an end product with the likes of a decent cross and was probably very lucky to stay on the park

Davies quick and put himself about but had no first touch,

Holloway ineffective,

McLaughlin was ok but annoyed me by constantly looking for the foul rather than trying to do something good. I hate it but accept it's part of the modern game but, why not NOT look for the foul now and again once that's what the opposition expect? Take them by surprise and steal a yard or two. 

I thought Davies was alright and liked the fact he tried to create one for himself at one point in the second half. We've been missing that for some time. 

Holloway was a shadow of his usual self. On a few occasions he won it or held it up well but then gave the impression he thought that was job done when he should have been moving his arse to be available to have it back or get on the end of something. Worrying that. Hopefully Shez spotted it. 

24 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

McLaughlin was ok but annoyed me by constantly looking for the foul rather than trying to do something good. I hate it but accept it's part of the modern game but, why not NOT look for the foul now and again once that's what the opposition expect? Take them by surprise and steal a yard or two. 

I thought Davies was alright and liked the fact he tried to create one for himself at one point in the second half. We've been missing that for some time. 

Holloway was a shadow of his usual self. On a few occasions he won it or held it up well but then gave the impression he thought that was job done when he should have been moving his arse to be available to have it back or get on the end of something. Worrying that. Hopefully Shez spotted it. 

Holliway could well make way for Duffus, Shez must be very frustrated he just doesn't look a goal threat. 

2 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

Just wonder what exactly have they been working on in pre-season.

This was my thought after the final whistle.  No excuse of having no manager or no team this pre-season.  We've had the same amount of time as other teams and most of the team ready for training once pre-season started.

Our central midfielders are the weakest I've seen for a while.  Fane good, the rest poor.  In Shez I trust on Gardner but he's inherited Banks, Flynn and Green.  If he can't ship those out then he needs to make the most of any budget left and bring creative midfielders in rather than defensive midfielders.  I still think Baxter will arrive but that can't come quickly enough.  If Palmer can't get into the Burton side then Shez needs to get him back here too.

Just now, Fruitygoo said:

What service Holloway dealt with today would duffus do better with? 

Holloway despite all his fancy footwork just doesn't look like scoring, Duffus is better bet to do that IMO.

2 hours ago, steveoafc said:

This idea of playing players out of position baffles me!  Green as a RW.....no way, if you want width then play natural wingers. And tell the forwards to occupy the box in the unlikely event we get a decent cross in!  Holloway drifts to the wing like countless strikers before him, maybe frustration at the lack of any quality service.

Agreed, Green is not a right-winger but any professional footballer should be able to hit a cross into the box under no pressure.  In this situation today he wellied it behind the goal.  Twice.

Holloway gets credit for holding the ball up well - the most basic thing a striker should be able to do, but he's no threat.  Warren Feeney held the ball up well.

Take any toothless home defeat report from the last 20 years and apply it to today.

Pre-match we thought the goalkeeper might not be up to scratch, when he was the only one (and, to be fair, Hunt..) that played well!

No crisis, but hate losing the first game of the season, especially at home to an also-ran third tier no mark.  This evening the obligatory pre-season optimism has well and truly been shat on...

Edited by JoeP

What an anticlimax that was...

Looks like the goalkeeper is the least of our worries. Little shakey at times, distribution could improve and needs to grow in confidence to come off his line - but a decent debut from Wilson.

Shame we have a pretty non-existant midfield. Fane was decent but needs to be central. Green was okay defensively but shocking going forward, his final ball was attrocious. Banks was typical banks, a non-league player stealing a living in our engine room. McLaughlin was limited, plays better on the wing.

It'll be interesting when Gardner comes in, hopefully to replace Banks. Still think we need someone in the middle to run things more effectively.

I'd change things on Wednesday though:

Wilson

Wilson Clarke Gerrard

McLaughlin Fawns Fane Green Hunt

Duffus Davies

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Yeah, he wasn’t great today, but you still feel like he could cut inside and whip one in to the top corner given half a chance.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Shez said last week he's always known his starting X1, that's a bit worrying after today.

I don’t believe his starting XI would be without Gardner. Just he couldn’t use him today. And if it’s in place of Banks; then yes, he can make a lot of difference!