MATCH: vs Wealdstone (H) 16/08/22

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Midfield must be told not to press high up. Felt sorry for Hope trying to do it mainly alone. Any team at this level that gets pressed will make mistakes. Sheridan must not want it

Hope is trying to press alone but he might as well not bother, to press every man on the pitch has step up but we play such a rigid set back line that it is never going to happen, we have Hope pressing up top and Hogan and Co holding a line deep in our own half, we should be pushing up to the half way line to stop them playing it out, we have a gap of about 40/50 yards at times between our defence and midfield the result being once the half hearted press is broke through they commit more men forward and pass it or play it through us at will, we don't play as a unit and our midfield is weak, we should be able to counter this because it opens the game up but we are slow and lethargic and instead of being positive we invariably look for a safe pass backwards or to the side giving the opposition time to regroup, I suppose its a symptom of having a slow ageing team.

15 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This. 

Much as I was against too many light weights in our team last season, looking at Dorking and Wealdstone lighter more technical players seem to flourish in this league. We are actually seeing better footballing teams than in Division 1.

As mentioned whether this will continue in the winter climate remains to be seen.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Hope is trying to press alone but he might as well not bother, to press every man on the pitch has step up but we play such a rigid set back line that it is never going to happen, we have Hope pressing up top and Hogan and Co holding a line deep in our own half, we should be pushing up to the half way line to stop them playing it out, we have a gap of about 40/50 yards at times between our defence and midfield the result being once the half hearted press is broke through they commit more men forward and pass it or play it through us at will, we don't play as a unit and our midfield is weak, we should be able to counter this because it opens the game up but we are slow and lethargic and instead of being positive we invariably look for a safe pass backwards or to the side giving the opposition time to regroup, I suppose its a symptom of having a slow ageing team.

One who passes back most though is Stobbs and he's not that old.

I take it as team instructions to be safe rather than risk losing possession.

We have 2 players with some pace Stobbs and Tollit and both should both be told to run at defenders to force them to back off. This opens more  opportunities for a cross or a shot on goal and creates space for others.

I often see Stobbs deep and Tollitt near the halfway line, they are attackers and should be fulfilling that role.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

One who passes back most though is Stobbs and he's not that old.

I take it as team instructions to be safe rather than risk losing possession.

We have 2 players with some pace Stobbs and Tollit and both should both be told to run at defenders to force them to back off. This opens more  opportunities for a cross or a shot on goal and creates space for others.

I often see Stobbs deep and Tollitt near the halfway line, they are attackers and should be fulfilling that role.

Tollit can’t control a football unfortunately, gets stuck under his feet most times. He can shoot though. 

On 8/17/2022 at 4:39 PM, LaticMark said:

On a slightly lighter note, the Twitter response from Wealdstone's larger than life Physio even made me smile (briefly!).

Technically he's their Sports Therapist not their physio. Even if he does the same job, which is likely.

But that's me being extremely pedantic about the thing that pays my bills.

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Tollit can’t control a football unfortunately, gets stuck under his feet most times. He can shoot though. 

What Tollitt has proved is that if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle, other than the great finish at Fylde I think every goal he's scored since he joined has been deflected.

16 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

What Tollitt has proved is that if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle, other than the great finish at Fylde I think every goal he's scored since he joined has been deflected.

I wonder if he will take free kicks, often they are scored with deflections.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived