Just the badge

19 hours ago, Roger Ritchie said:

Always wondered where that stream appeared from. Is it a tunnel under the carpark? Or just a spring? 

I do believe its natural. But has been diverted/covered over through the centuries. There is a fishing pond higher up near the church as you head towards Royton. Unsure if it flows from there. There has been a few environmental studies done. Primarily because of proposed builds

Also a green corridor that is right behind the bungalows that follows/skirts onto the carpark outer edge upto little Wembley.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

Cheers Diego. I had forgotten about that project. 

There was an interesting programme by BBC countryfile about Feb time on sustainable housing on stilts that allows nature to thrive underneath

It's possible that some land around BP may have to be developed. Controversial I know but could be NHS key worker housing for the hospital staff, that could be an eco build. Knock on effect no travel costs in commuting and saves sourcing rental for NHS.

NHS 10 year plan includes upskilling/tapping into local workforce, sourcing more locally grown/made products-think veggie in the park/community growing hubs/northern roots project.

There is oddles if stuff BP could be developed for whilst being sustainable. 

Can't wait for the deal to go through and the rollout of the vision/plan for support and community in Oldham

Exciting times....lastly, how the devil are you? Let me know next time you and the better half are coming to BP, be nice to see you both

21 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

21 hours ago, Roger Ritchie said:

Always wondered where that stream appeared from. Is it a tunnel under the carpark? Or just a spring? 

1 hour ago, underdog said:

I do believe its natural. But has been diverted/covered over through the centuries. There is a fishing pond higher up near the church as you head towards Royton. Unsure if it flows from there. 

It can get confusing but here goes :-

1) There is a Plumpton Brook which essentially arises from around Brook Street, Royton (near Roman Road) and that flows down into the River Irk after the A627 (M). It is from THAT brook that the "Plumpton Clough" bought by the residents (Diego's post) is named (land behind Leaside Avenue/Birch Ave area). However, that is nothing to do with the "Plumpton Clough" connected with Latics.

2) There is a second watercourse simply called Plumpton Clough and it can first be seen above the car park next to the renal unit ( i.e. between Carlton Way and Sheepfoot Lane) and sits at the foot of a steep valley flowing around the back of Carlton Way.  It is culverted both upstream and downstream from what you can see now. Its source has long since been lost (due to culverting under housing etc.) but is probably somewhere on Oldham Edge. This Plumpton Clough is not the one that flows into the Irk. It joins Long Clough (near Cambrian Drive/Long Clough) and Long Clough's source is in Longsight at Royton (again arising on Oldham Edge near Hill Top Drive/top of Booth Lane). Long Clough is also effectively hidden underground for its most part via culvert.

There was a proposal to completely culvert the section of Plumpton Clough within the curtilage of Latics' ground and then infill the valley but it never proceeded. It's actually a lovely "green corridor" and great for nature. Will be interesting to see what finally happens to it.

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

It can get confusing but here goes :-

1) There is a Plumpton Brook which essentially arises from around Brook Street, Royton (near Roman Road) and that flows down into the River Irk after the A627 (M). It is from THAT brook that the "Plumpton Clough" bought by the residents (Diego's post) is named (land behind Leaside Avenue/Birch Ave area). However, that is nothing to do with the "Plumpton Clough" connected with Latics.

2) There is a second watercourse simply called Plumpton Clough and it can first be seen above the car park next to the renal unit ( i.e. between Carlton Way and Sheepfoot Lane) and sits at the foot of a steep valley flowing around the back of Carlton Way.  It is culverted both upstream and downstream from what you can see now. Its source has long since been lost (due to culverting under housing etc.) but is probably somewhere on Oldham Edge. This Plumpton Clough is not the one that flows into the Irk. It joins Long Clough (near Cambrian Drive/Long Clough) and Long Clough's source is in Longsight at Royton (again arising on Oldham Edge near Hill Top Drive/top of Booth Lane). Long Clough is also effectively hidden underground for its most part via culvert.

There was a proposal to completely culvert the section of Plumpton Clough within the curtilage of Latics' ground and then infill the valley but it never proceeded. It's actually a lovely "green corridor" and great for nature. Will be interesting to see what finally happens to it.

Thanks Wiseowl. I Learn something new everyday. Cheers

9 hours ago, underdog said:

Cheers Diego......lastly, how the devil are you? Let me know next time you and the better half are coming to BP, be nice to see you both

I'm still in the hands of the DVLA, but we'll be in York on a direct train from the Brewing Capital.

23 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

I'm still in the hands of the DVLA, but we'll be in York on a direct train from the Brewing Capital.

Excellent my friend. Stay safe let me know when you are visiting the mecca that is BP and we will defo meet up

Archived