Gordon Lawton, Asian Community and Future of the Latics!

6 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Exeter away was the first time I heard it, chants against our former owners.

Wasnt there so couldn't comment, easy enough to deal with these days and most clubs provide numbers where this sort of behaviour can be reported and dealt with accordingly. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Exeter away was the first time I heard it, chants against our former owners.

there were a few very drunk idiots at the protest trying to get some sort of racist chant going along the usual peadophile trope about mo they were soon shouted down and drowned out which is the way to deal with it .unfortunatley every club has these type of morons its upto us to drown them out.

On 8/18/2022 at 3:31 PM, Laticsgers said:

Hi Guys

This post will be quite long winded so bare with me lol.

I came across some old memorabilia the other day that I collected as a kid. Im from Glasgow and when i started getting into football decided to follow Oldham Athletic.

Being a Rangers supporter  the colour blue was a factor in that decision but i also wrote to some of the premier league clubs asking for autographs (i was about 8 at this point btw lol).

Oldham were one of the few clubs to write back and it was always Gordon Lawton. He would also send me match programs, and even a genuine signed picture of Gunner Halle. He sent me about 6-7 packages over the years and I always remember as a kid opening his letters and how happy it made me.

Even after the relegations i still followed on and used to get slagged at School when i wore my red and blue striped Oldham shirt.

my heroes as a kid were Paul Gerrard, Paul Bernard, Carl Serrant, Andy Ritchie to name a few.

sadly years later I remember watching a documentary on some of the riots in Oldham. As a kid you arent aware of this stuff, but it kinda put me off as i come from a mixed race background. Mum is white and Dad is Pakistani. If i was older it wouldnt have bothered me as im old enough now to realise what you see on tv and media isnt always a representation of real life.

Being of mixed background for me gives so much positives like being able to look at things properly and understand there are good and bad on both sides. I know the town has issues and genuine concerns. I dont want to get into politics as you guys are in a better position to know whats best for your town but i do believe bringing people together through football is a start. 

more young asians are getting into football and i do believe Oldham Athletic have all the values to attract some of them.

Going back to Gordon and how kind he was, even now that the club are back in good hands again you can feel the sense of community and im happy you guys have your club back. I always still to this day look out for the results and one day will finally make the trip to Boundary Park.

I watched the Dorking game and it was incredible the support and atmosphere, and also how Frank has brought people together.

Good luck for the season ahead!

Rangers are one of the best examples of integrated support in the UK. The 'Everyone Anyone' campaign is worth Latics looking at.

https://www.rangerscharity.org.uk/in-the-community/community-programmes/everyone-and-anyone/everyone-anyone

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Wasnt there so couldn't comment, easy enough to deal with these days and most clubs provide numbers where this sort of behaviour can be reported and dealt with accordingly. 

Torquay away, a guy stood next to us shouted a racist comment to the player that was down in front of the goal who ended up going off. Me and my mates 21-28 years old just looked at each other in shock. Vile 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Torquay away, a guy stood next to us shouted a racist comment to the player that was down in front of the goal who ended up going off. Me and my mates 21-28 years old just looked at each other in shock. Vile 

And never said a word...

15 minutes ago, otid said:

Rangers are one of the best examples of integrated support in the UK. The 'Everyone Anyone' campaign is worth Latics looking at.

https://www.rangerscharity.org.uk/in-the-community/community-programmes/everyone-and-anyone/everyone-anyone

Chelsea have probably got one similar. The idea that Rangers is an integrated welcome to anyone fan base is the funniest thing post on this here website. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8775649/hundreds-rangers-fans-chant-banned-sectarian-song-bus-leipzig/

38 minutes ago, otid said:

funnily enough mate I actually said this to Jim Booth in my email to him about the Everyone Anyone campaign 

25 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Chelsea have probably got one similar. The idea that Rangers is an integrated welcome to anyone fan base is the funniest thing post on this here website. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8775649/hundreds-rangers-fans-chant-banned-sectarian-song-bus-leipzig/

i take it you have never been to Ibrox in your life? Ibrox has fans from all different backgrounds. 

our team are made up of mostly black players. We have muslim fans, sikh fans, jewish, black, white and believe it or not our supporters club has 2 Catholics.

most of our players are also Catholic. Of course we have a minority of idiots but when you have such a large fan base you are always going to find idiots.

same goes for the other side, Celtic also attract fans from different cultures.

glasgow is more multicultural now and the demographic of the support of both clubs is seeing more minorities.

26 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Where did i say they didn't have issues with fans singing sectarian songs Clifford? I repeat, Rangers support is as integrated as any i've ever seen in the UK. If comedy is your intent, you need to try harder

49 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

If you've done nothing, don't moan about it after the fact

You taking the piss 😂 The subject was brought up about racism within our fan base. I highlighted an incident I had first hand experience of to add to the discussion. 
I was simply highlighting that a group of 5 of us heard a comment, yes we didn’t do anything or say anything. But we were disgusted by the comment as a group of young lads. Simply highlight the fact it’s a minority number within our fans base who are capable of saying these things and thinking this was. I wasn’t “moaning”, get a grip. 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

You taking the piss 😂 The subject was brought up about racism within our fan base. I highlighted an incident I had first hand experience of to add to the discussion. 
I was simply highlighting that a group of 5 of us heard a comment, yes we didn’t do anything or say anything. But we were disgusted by the comment as a group of young lads. Simply highlight the fact it’s a minority number within our fans base who are capable of saying these things and thinking this was. I wasn’t “moaning”, get a grip. 

You're part of the problem...if nobody says or does anything, nothing will change

7 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You're part of the problem...if nobody says or does anything, nothing will change

I’m part of the problem because I am not a racist and disgusted by such actions ? Okay, I am going to leave this here, not the place. I will say, don't throw those comments around. 

1 hour ago, Laticsgers said:

i take it you have never been to Ibrox in your life? Ibrox has fans from all different backgrounds. 

our team are made up of mostly black players. We have muslim fans, sikh fans, jewish, black, white and believe it or not our supporters club has 2 Catholics.

most of our players are also Catholic. Of course we have a minority of idiots but when you have such a large fan base you are always going to find idiots.

same goes for the other side, Celtic also attract fans from different cultures.

glasgow is more multicultural now and the demographic of the support of both clubs is seeing more minorities.

Most of us on here have learnt to ignore his posts !  😉

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m part of the problem because I am not a racist and disgusted by such actions ? Okay, I am going to leave this here, not the place. I will say, don't throw those comments around. 

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say that if racism goes unchallenged then nothing would have or will change

24 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I am not having it that you challenge every person you overhear making terrible comments. Don't ever go to the pub as you would be involved in 20+ fights a night!! 

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say that if racism goes unchallenged then nothing would have or will change

Its also perfectly acceptable to argue against your comment that because I / the group I was with, did not challenge one isolated incident that it makes us “part of the problem”. You have no idea about us as a group, our backgrounds or beliefs, you have just formed an extreme opinion based on one incident. 

2 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I am not having it that you challenge every person you overhear making terrible comments. Don't ever go to the pub as you would be involved in 20+ fights a night!! 

This. We were a group of 5, they were a group of 7ish pissed up lads. If we in that moment expressed our opinions it would have been a brawl, and that’s also not the solution. It’s actually on the lads he was with and surround himself with to speak up and say, you know what mate, that’s bang out of order and educate the moron. 

5 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

You don't have to personally challenge it. Report it to a steward if you hear it...

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

This. We were a group of 5, they were a group of 7ish pissed up lads. If we in that moment expressed our opinions it would have been a brawl, and that’s also not the solution. It’s actually on the lads he was with and surround himself with to speak up and say, you know what mate, that’s bang out of order and educate the moron. 

Yes, it's on them as well

39 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You don't have to personally challenge it. Report it to a steward if you hear it...

Yes, it's on them as well

I agree reporting it to a steward is the ideal scenario, but every situation is different and I think LightDN123 has judged that any other action would have made it worse. 

That is their choice to make and shouldn't have comments like "part of the problem" thrown at them. They are part of the solution by being disgusted with it, even if it is smaller part of the solution than challenging it.

26 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I agree reporting it to a steward is the ideal scenario, but every situation is different and I think LightDN123 has judged that any other action would have made it worse. 

That is their choice to make and shouldn't have comments like "part of the problem" thrown at them. They are part of the solution by being disgusted with it, even if it is smaller part of the solution than challenging it.

Imagine if throughout history people just didn't like it but nobody acted

4 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Imagine if throughout history people just didn't like it but nobody acted

Imagine if people acted with everything they just didn't like. There are some dodgy haircuts out there that offend me, I am going to do something about it now...

I am only being flippant because I know what you are implying and that is a stretch to compare this to tragedies in history.

Archived