Gordon Lawton, Asian Community and Future of the Latics!

3 hours ago, Laticsgers said:

i take it you have never been to Ibrox in your life? Ibrox has fans from all different backgrounds. 

our team are made up of mostly black players. We have muslim fans, sikh fans, jewish, black, white and believe it or not our supporters club has 2 Catholics.

most of our players are also Catholic. Of course we have a minority of idiots but when you have such a large fan base you are always going to find idiots.

same goes for the other side, Celtic also attract fans from different cultures.

glasgow is more multicultural now and the demographic of the support of both clubs is seeing more minorities.

It's a more tha a few. Rangers, like Chelsea, seem to have more than the usual share of scum. Two clubs with reputations they deserve. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

"Boot Hill is full of dead heroes". 

Anon. 

Boot Hill - The term alludes to the fact that many of its occupants were cowboys who "died with their boots on," the implication here being they died violently, as in gunfights or by hanging, and not of natural causes. (Wiki)

Seems to me that Boot Hill is not only for heroes 🤔

5 minutes ago, Clifford said:

It's a more tha a few. Rangers, like Chelsea, seem to have more than the usual share of scum. Two clubs with reputations they deserve. 

Yeah like I thought you have never been to a Rangers game in your life.

been going home, away and abroad with Rangers for over 20 years and never once saw or been on the receiving end of any racism.  Last season there were a couple of women with Hijabs on at a few of the games who also had no issues. 

19 minutes ago, Laticsgers said:

Yeah like I thought you have never been to a Rangers game in your life.

been going home, away and abroad with Rangers for over 20 years and never once saw or been on the receiving end of any racism.  Last season there were a couple of women with Hijabs on at a few of the games who also had no issues. 

I have been many years ago, Heart or Hibs it was. Shite.

Did you see this fella at your last game? https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8325934/rangers-fan-tears-racist-abuse-supporters-ibrox-pub/

7 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Imagine if throughout history people just didn't like it but nobody acted

"Grooming gang ringleader was employed by Oldham Council as welfare officer, major report reveals"

"Children as young as 13 and 14 were known to be "sexually exploited" in shisha bars in 2011"

"The review team state that the council and Greater Manchester Police failed to protect X and made subsequent denials which "created the impression that both agencies were more concerned about covering up their failures than acknowledging the harm that had been done to a vulnerable young person".

Yep - goes on all the time in Oldham and many other towns and cities throughout the land, mcfluff. 

11 hours ago, wiseowl said:

"Grooming gang ringleader was employed by Oldham Council as welfare officer, major report reveals"

"Children as young as 13 and 14 were known to be "sexually exploited" in shisha bars in 2011"

"The review team state that the council and Greater Manchester Police failed to protect X and made subsequent denials which "created the impression that both agencies were more concerned about covering up their failures than acknowledging the harm that had been done to a vulnerable young person".

Yep - goes on all the time in Oldham and many other towns and cities throughout the land, mcfluff. 

it has been going on for decades in all walk of life and is covered up by rich poor upper class middle class and lower class black white christian muslim sikhe catholic protestant jew or gentile  and will never ever go away this is typical https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0cp3mw7

On 8/19/2022 at 6:50 PM, GlossopLatic said:

I've been going for 30 years paid in plenty and have my name on the North stand wall.

I'm.happy for us to offer free cheaper tickets to attract any demographic.

Particularly if it upsets Gammons like this.

You haven't a clue about me, Glossop and I have never insulted you - so don't insult me.

I have no problem handing free tickets out, for example, to all under 11s in the borough. What I object to is schemes which only reward one particular race. People like you cannot see that such schemes themselves only create resentment (amongst many) - and some people would view them as racist in themselves.

We should be including everyone in the borough in our efforts but please stop this stupid obsession with "asians" - generally, asian people are not going to come and watch us - they don't want to!

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

You haven't a clue about me, Glossop and I have never insulted you - so don't insult me.

I have no problem handing free tickets out, for example, to all under 11s in the borough. What I object to is schemes which only reward one particular race. People like you cannot see that such schemes themselves only create resentment (amongst many) - and some people would view them as racist in themselves.

We should be including everyone in the borough in our efforts but please stop this stupid obsession with "asians" - generally, asian people are not going to come and watch us - they don't want to!

As has been said it's short sighted nonsense. Do you honestly think we won't give freebies out to white people ofcourse we will Im more than comfortable with this. But as you've said yourself we don't have enough of a BAME representation in the crowd (by your logic 50% of the crowd should be women aswell) why not atleast reach out to people nothing ventured nothing gained.

I don't live in Oldham have never got a freebie never will they shouldn't be targeted at people like me. Promotional offers should be targeted at the people in the borough.

Not sure why anyone would be resentful to this (although if you are their is a good chance you are part of the problem) it's attempt to widen the support base we should welcome it.

As for the bit about Asians not wanting to go watch football the opening poster and they are probably better placed to say if that's the case or not.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Racism requires a power dynamic. Thus, having an almost exclusively white-run sport take targeted action toward non-whites, in an attempt to broaden their involvement, is not racist. The power dynamic simply doesn't allow it to be.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not sure why anyone would be resentful to this (although if you are their is a good chance you are part of the problem).

I`ll leave it after this. 

1) Your veiled insinuations are not welcome and it's laughable how wide of the mark you are (one of the problems of social media I suppose when you do not know, for example, who the person is married to, or the ethnicity of their children but nevertheless insinuate they are racist).

2) Being seen to do favours to one section of society (no matter how good the intentions) simply creates yet more tension amongst those you are trying to "convert".

3) You often come across as wearing a "halo" - be careful not to let it slip won't you.

On 8/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, wiseowl said:

I`ll leave it after this. 

1) Your veiled insinuations are not welcome and it's laughable how wide of the mark you are (one of the problems of social media I suppose when you do not know, for example, who the person is married to, or the ethnicity of their children but nevertheless insinuate they are racist).

2) Being seen to do favours to one section of society (no matter how good the intentions) simply creates yet more tension amongst those you are trying to "convert".

3) You often come across as wearing a "halo" - be careful not to let it slip won't you.

1. The thread is about trying to get a wider support base from a wider section of the community in this instance it's asking how to engage with those from ethnic diverse backgrounds you appear to be very cynical to this. I'm not sure why someone who is a supporter would be against this it's difficult to look past a certain level of racist undertones.

2. If we were Just targeting one section of the community then that might cause resentment. It's obvious that isn't going to be the case so you are getting angry about a pretty much made up scenario where we just give freebies to Asians that is not going to happen.

3. Halo mmm well I'm not putting myself on the pedestal. However you are the one calling yourself "Wise" so maybe look closer to home with that one before you start throwing rocks.

11 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Multi-faith prayer room delivered this morning...

Quite unbelievable that this is something the previous owners hadn't instigated. Great idea though, and hopefully a step in the right direction 

Archived