Gordon Lawton, Asian Community and Future of the Latics!

Hi Guys

This post will be quite long winded so bare with me lol.

I came across some old memorabilia the other day that I collected as a kid. Im from Glasgow and when i started getting into football decided to follow Oldham Athletic.

Being a Rangers supporter  the colour blue was a factor in that decision but i also wrote to some of the premier league clubs asking for autographs (i was about 8 at this point btw lol).

Oldham were one of the few clubs to write back and it was always Gordon Lawton. He would also send me match programs, and even a genuine signed picture of Gunner Halle. He sent me about 6-7 packages over the years and I always remember as a kid opening his letters and how happy it made me.

Even after the relegations i still followed on and used to get slagged at School when i wore my red and blue striped Oldham shirt.

my heroes as a kid were Paul Gerrard, Paul Bernard, Carl Serrant, Andy Ritchie to name a few.

sadly years later I remember watching a documentary on some of the riots in Oldham. As a kid you arent aware of this stuff, but it kinda put me off as i come from a mixed race background. Mum is white and Dad is Pakistani. If i was older it wouldnt have bothered me as im old enough now to realise what you see on tv and media isnt always a representation of real life.

Being of mixed background for me gives so much positives like being able to look at things properly and understand there are good and bad on both sides. I know the town has issues and genuine concerns. I dont want to get into politics as you guys are in a better position to know whats best for your town but i do believe bringing people together through football is a start. 

more young asians are getting into football and i do believe Oldham Athletic have all the values to attract some of them.

Going back to Gordon and how kind he was, even now that the club are back in good hands again you can feel the sense of community and im happy you guys have your club back. I always still to this day look out for the results and one day will finally make the trip to Boundary Park.

I watched the Dorking game and it was incredible the support and atmosphere, and also how Frank has brought people together.

Good luck for the season ahead!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Laticsgers said:

Hi Guys

This post will be quite long winded so bare with me lol.

I came across some old memorabilia the other day that I collected as a kid. Im from Glasgow and when i started getting into football decided to follow Oldham Athletic.

Being a Rangers supporter  the colour blue was a factor in that decision but i also wrote to some of the premier league clubs asking for autographs (i was about 8 at this point btw lol).

Oldham were one of the few clubs to write back and it was always Gordon Lawton. He would also send me match programs, and even a genuine signed picture of Gunner Halle. He sent me about 6-7 packages over the years and I always remember as a kid opening his letters and how happy it made me.

Even after the relegations i still followed on and used to get slagged at School when i wore my red and blue striped Oldham shirt.

my heroes as a kid were Paul Gerrard, Paul Bernard, Carl Serrant, Andy Ritchie to name a few.

sadly years later I remember watching a documentary on some of the riots in Oldham. As a kid you arent aware of this stuff, but it kinda put me off as i come from a mixed race background. Mum is white and Dad is Pakistani. If i was older it wouldnt have bothered me as im old enough now to realise what you see on tv and media isnt always a representation of real life.

Being of mixed background for me gives so much positives like being able to look at things properly and understand there are good and bad on both sides. I know the town has issues and genuine concerns. I dont want to get into politics as you guys are in a better position to know whats best for your town but i do believe bringing people together through football is a start. 

more young asians are getting into football and i do believe Oldham Athletic have all the values to attract some of them.

Going back to Gordon and how kind he was, even now that the club are back in good hands again you can feel the sense of community and im happy you guys have your club back. I always still to this day look out for the results and one day will finally make the trip to Boundary Park.

I watched the Dorking game and it was incredible the support and atmosphere, and also how Frank has brought people together.

Good luck for the season ahead

Gordon was a club legend, these are the words normally associated with players and managers. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he helped you in the way he did. 

15 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Gordon was a club legend, these are the words normally associated with players and managers. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he helped you in the way he did. 

Was really sad when I found out he passed away mate. Really kind guy

4 hours ago, Laticsgers said:

It is something that could certainly benefit the local community and the club. I would love to see the club and town do more. 

Sadly most kids around the town support United, City or Liverpool. If you don't have someone to follow into supporting a team you tend to just pick one of the big ones. 

Just now, Roger Ritchie said:

It is something that could certainly benefit the local community and the club. I would love to see the club and town do more. 

Sadly most kids around the town support United, City or Liverpool. If you don't have someone to follow into supporting a team you tend to just pick one of the big ones. 

yeah thats true mate. I do think kids would enjoy a trip to BP now though. Atmosphere is a lot better.

Football these days is so expensive and corporate. Oldham have the history, and if they can connect with the local community and put a decent team on the pitch its possible.

1 hour ago, Laticsgers said:

yeah thats true mate. I do think kids would enjoy a trip to BP now though. Atmosphere is a lot better.

Football these days is so expensive and corporate. Oldham have the history, and if they can connect with the local community and put a decent team on the pitch its possible.

Hi mate, I'm a director at OASF and looking to start a project to develop inclusion in the Asian community. I'd love some help if you want to email me. jim.booth@oasf.co.uk

7 hours ago, JimboothOASF said:

Hi mate, I'm a director at OASF and looking to start a project to develop inclusion in the Asian community. I'd love some help if you want to email me. jim.booth@oasf.co.uk

Hi Jim, I have emailed you regarding something similar. Stu 👍

8 hours ago, JimboothOASF said:

Hi Jim

will email you today mate 

Lovely story. Thanks for sharing.

There is still a yearly tribute to Gordon that needs to get back on the agenda.

The end if season Cricket and family fund day. Ideally to have some current and previous players and have Gordon's family invited too

OACT do wonderful stuff in the community that needs support and I note OASF director has commented too.

We need to look at how other clubs are inclusive and celebrate diversity of their communities.

I would love a Bangla bantums style community hub. For sport and well being.

We will have to see what happens/plans of the new custodian when the ground purchase goes through

19 hours ago, Roger Ritchie said:

My mate identifies as a Man United "fan" firstly but goes to Rochdale as it is his local team. He is now taking his kids who hopefully at an early age start to think of their local team firstly and just like Man United "because my dad does" or not even like them at all!!!

It's all about changing the mentality on it and the only way is get people to the ground regularly. It won't work for all but we have to start somewhere.

2 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

There's still a lot of work to be done unfortunately, I was embarrassed at some of the racist chanting and the booing of the knee last season from a minority of our support. 

Racist chanting??? Where did you witness this then?

10 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

love this

No Surrender

🇬🇧

No comment....ever again!

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Racist chanting??? Where did you witness this then?

Where and when?

51 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

My mate identifies as a Man United "fan" firstly but goes to Rochdale as it is his local team. He is now taking his kids who hopefully at an early age start to think of their local team firstly and just like Man United "because my dad does" or not even like them at all!!!

It's all about changing the mentality on it and the only way is get people to the ground regularly. It won't work for all but we have to start somewhere.

Even in the glory years, Oldham had a large number of United fans, the imaginatively named Oldham Reds. Stuck in my throat.

Been done to death. By and large Oldham's asians do not - and I don't think ever will - support the Latics. There has been initiative after initiative and, by and large, the only time you see more than an isolated few asian faces in the crowd is when free tickets are handed out.

Looking at Oldham's demographics, there should have been circa 835 people of Pakistani heritage and 584 people of Bangladeshi Heritage in the crowd for the first home game of the season (amongst a general BME home contingent of 1879 fans).

Tells you all you need to know after years of trying to attract asian support particularly.

I truly hope we DON'T go down the route of free/cheaper tickets etc. to try and attract a certain demographic - it's just grossly unfair to fans who have coughed up thousands of pounds over the years. If you want to watch football at Boundary Park - then you have to pay for it. 

38 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Been done to death. By and large Oldham's asians do not - and I don't think ever will - support the Latics. There has been initiative after initiative and, by and large, the only time you see more than an isolated few asian faces in the crowd is when free tickets are handed out.

Looking at Oldham's demographics, there should have been circa 835 people of Pakistani heritage and 584 people of Bangladeshi Heritage in the crowd for the first home game of the season (amongst a general BME home contingent of 1879 fans).

Tells you all you need to know after years of trying to attract asian support particularly.

I truly hope we DON'T go down the route of free/cheaper tickets etc. to try and attract a certain demographic - it's just grossly unfair to fans who have coughed up thousands of pounds over the years. If you want to watch football at Boundary Park - then you have to pay for it. 

What a shortsighted load of bollocks.

50 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I've been going for 30 years paid in plenty and have my name on the North stand wall.

I'm.happy for us to offer free cheaper tickets to attract any demographic.

Particularly if it upsets Gammons like this.

21 hours ago, JimboothOASF said:

Sent you an email mate

Archived